The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #8,161 of 88,548
I'm intrigued as to what it is that has dethroned IE900! Look forward to hearing all about it.
Not dethroned, partnered. It is a step up from the IE 900, however, to my ears anyway. It's a step up from everything else I've heard actually. I'm already anticipating the 'no way' reception I'm going to get at the reveal.
Yeah, okay…see you in a few weeks with some new hot IEM bling 🤣
To review, hopefully yes, to own, nope!**

**The poster reserves the right to change his mind at any time.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #8,162 of 88,548
They hurt my ears as in the shell is killing me:frowning2: I will try the longer bore Sednas tomorrow but right now my ears are aching badly. Hopefully no pain in the morning so I can give those tips a whirl, if no better I will have to sell them. I love the tonality especially male vocals. Leonard cohen sounds right next to me in treaty from I want it darker. But some mid tempo rock doesn’t stand up to well…the metallic edge zings through. Some
Slight wince moments in the lower treble as well. I’ll see what happens tomorrow with the OG sednas.

Ah that's disappointing, sorry to hear - I know all too well what's it like after my initial experience with Traillii, it took a week or so of a break from IEMs for mine to recover but that was deeper in the ear canal. I use bigger tips with ZEN, always L where with other IEMs (such as Traillii) I drop to M. I've definitely used regular Azla, the non short / non light version and they were excellent - I'm using them currently on Dark Sky which similarly need a bigger tip. Good luck, I hope you can resolve it.

Last week my ears canal hurt too i think because of deep insert with pull ear and opening mouth. After that i used my headphone again ( h800s and z1r ) feel so comfort..
Long short story, ending with ordered 1266 phi tc for rotation between iem and headphone. :jecklinsmile::jecklinsmile:

Dec 24, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #8,164 of 88,548
What is your personal IEM of the Year?
Prepare for a shock as the EXT would be the logical pick, but actually will hand the title to Sony WF1000XM4 as it simply redefines what to expect in terms of SQ from TWS…

I had 3 aha moments this year : XM4, M17 and Timeless that blew way past my expectations!
Not that EXT doesn't blow me way but I expected it :p

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #8,165 of 88,548
Gryphon nearly made it to me before Christmas, probably now almost in Ireland but our postal service closes after today, reopens on the 30th... something to look forward to next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 24, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #8,166 of 88,548
Did you succumb to balanced armature bass? :popcorn:
There's a limit to my madness! 😝
Prepare for a shock as the EXT would be the logical pick, but actually will hand the title to Sony WF1000XM4 as it simply redefines what to expect in terms of SQ from TWS…

I had 3 aha moments this year : XM4, M17 and Timeless that blew way past my expectations!
Not that EXT doesn't blow me way but I expected it :p
Yes! Don't know why I didn't mention that too - on balance, if you take ear time into account - the XM4 has been my best audio purchase in 2021 by far. I can easily listen to it all day without missing my 'high end' IEMs. The combination of convenience, comfort and sound quality is absolutely unrivalled by anything else. Good call, that one.
Gryphon almost made it to me before Christmas, probably now almost in Ireland but our postal service closes after today, reopens on the 30th... something to look forward to next week!
Add Gryphon (and GO blu) to my 2021 list. Bluetooth sound quality has finally come of age, and takes the listening experience to a new level of convenience and portability. Gryphon adds a level of high-end sound quality that takes it a step above dongles and right up to full DAP level. Software issues aside, the sound, build and convenience is unmatched by anything else at the price, or even twice or thrice the price.

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #8,167 of 88,548
There's a limit to my madness! 😝

Yes! Don't know why I didn't mention that too - on balance, if you take ear time into account - the XM4 has been my best audio purchase in 2021 by far. I can easily listen to it all day without missing my 'high end' IEMs. The combination of convenience, comfort and sound quality is absolutely unrivalled by anything else. Good call, that one.

Add Gryphon (and GO blu) to my 2021 list. Bluetooth sound quality has finally come of age, and takes the listening experience to a new level of convenience and portability. Gryphon adds a level of high-end sound quality that takes it a step above dongles and right up to full DAP level. Software issues aside, the sound, build and convenience is unmatched by anything else at the price, or even twice or thrice the price.

That XM4 has been on my list pretty much since release. I have the Sennheiser TW2 and enjoy them but generally underwhelmed versus IEMs. The TW2 also have an annoying habit of dropping the connection.

Very excited to hear what Gryphon brings to the table versus my DAPs and the W2. The majority of my use case will be via my MacBook streaming local files from Audirvana to IEMs, not sure I'll have much use for Bluetooth but we shall see.

A smaller Miter case due for arrival today which is destined for the n6ii-Ti and whatever IEM is on rotation. The bigger one is now a dedicated buds box.

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #8,168 of 88,548
Top spot goes to an IEM that I'm not quite ready to talk about yet

I'm about a week in with my 'new' one-two

Uuhh. Im thrilled!! I have a feeling i am going to hit my face into table when you reveal it.
Did you succumb to balanced armature bass? :popcorn:
Yep.. Definitely would go for a table...

What is your personal IEM of the Year?

I would choose either Empire Ears Legend EVO for its Bombastic Bass or Unique Melody Indigo for its Insane Imaging.

I am sure that if I heard them that Elysian X or Annihilator would be in the running for its Tremendous Treble and Vision Ears EXT or Phonix for its Monumental Mids.
Yeh Indigo is definitely a marvel. And it has stayed with me for now.
It is not just about its imaging, its the tuning that compromises on little. It has bass but does not bleed into mids. It has upper mid presence but it does not sound lean. On a contrary it actually makes EXT mids look recessed. Treble is smooth yet it does not lack in air at all.
There are iems that can do mids better. There are iems that can do bass better or have bigger staging in one or two directions.
But indigo has it in 1 package.

Though i am really surprised nobody actually noticed that EVOs imaging is not worse than Indigo. Its simply its tuning that guts it. I really liked how bass and mids were tuned and worked together. But the treble was its bane for me unfortunately. It just feels like good chunk of music is missing. And that lack of definition around the edges messed its imaging up.
When i was A/B both Indigo and EVO it actually felt that EVOS staging is bigger in all directions, except for height due to lack of air.

Honestly im not a treblehead so was nit expecting EVO to have 64 audio or solaris treble. But the roll off is too much.

If it was tuned differently, EVO would have been a purchase of a year for me. As it has done everything else right.
Best bass by far on any iem. Loved the mids, unlike many. Staging and aging was top notch.

But for now, Indigo has made very little compromising so is top spot for 2021.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #8,169 of 88,548
Not dethroned, partnered. It is a step up from the IE 900, however, to my ears anyway. It's a step up from everything else I've heard actually. I'm already anticipating the 'no way' reception I'm going to get at the reveal.

To review, hopefully yes, to own, nope!**

**The poster reserves the right to change his mind at any time.
I think I know what it is 😉

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #8,170 of 88,548
Miter case arrived, beautiful case for both storage and to position a DAP while listening. It will store two IEMs (or maybe just one with a thicker cable) and comes with a little pouch for tips. High quality and stunning finish as per the bigger version reviewed by @gLer recently.

There is a band to keep the case shut which goes on easily and is firm in position.
20211224_114609.jpg

It then folds out with a section for the DAP and one or two IEMs. There are two dividers with velcro to adjust the size for both the DAP and IEMs. Also a an adjustable ledge to sit the DAP up as per below.
20211224_114255.jpg

Traillii and cable occupy maybe 2/3 of the IEM space.
20211224_114330.jpg

20211224_114454.jpg

There is a removable lid on the DAP side also but it won't quite close with n6ii-Ti and case.
20211224_115727.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #8,171 of 88,548
Miter case arrived, beautiful case for both storage and to position a DAP while listening. It will store two IEMs (or maybe just one with a thicker cable) and comes with a little pouch for tips. High quality and stunning finish as per the bigger version reviewed by @gLer recently.

There is a band to keep the case shut which goes on easily and is firm in position.
20211224_114609.jpg

It then folds out with a section for the DAP and one or two IEMs. There are two dividers with velcro to adjust the size for both the DAP and IEMs. Also a an adjustable ledge to sit the DAP up as per below.
20211224_114255.jpg

Traillii and cable occupy maybe 2/3 of the IEM space.
20211224_114330.jpg

20211224_114454.jpg

There is a removable lid on the DAP side also but it won't quite close with n6ii-Ti and case.
20211224_115727.jpg
Great case this, I have it too but don't really use it since getting the big one. Might do so if I keep the RS6 over the R8 (the latter won't fit into the small case).

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #8,172 of 88,548
Top 5 Audio Purchases 2021

I’ve purchased a lot this year. In fact, it has become somewhat of a blur as to what actually fell within this year (no pun intended – see below). Some might say I’ve developed an obsession, but I like to think I’ve found a great hobby and great people to share it with…

1. Alambic Ears Mentawai
    1. For filling the hybrid DD-bass space in my line up with gobs of emotion and stunning aesthetics
  2. Blur Earbuds & OFC PK150 Wraith 150ohm SE
    1. Blur earbuds and Master Wong of Singapore for redefining what I previously understood an earbud could do in terms of timbre and power scaling
    2. The Wraith for exemplifying all-day comfort with a contoured shell and thin OFC cabling matched with a non-fatiguing tuning that never sacrificed detail
    3. I have great respect for the creator. He is humble, kind and ceaselessly creative and I cant wait to see what he releases in 2022
  3. Cayin RU6 & Shanling M8 (jointly placed)
    1. The Shanling M8 for proving a dedicated audio player still has a place in my life
    2. The RU6 for injecting even more emotion into my music
  4. EarbudCustomArt / Inkline Productions – King Lion 32ohm
    1. I have never heard vocals as clear, airy and natural as this - unbeaten in 2021 on this front & detail monsters
    2. For the craftmanship and effort that went into production and the very reasonable asking price
  5. Penon Legend
    1. For executing a warm and natural midrange and ridding me of my fear of all-BA sets
Honourable mentions:
  • Yanyin Aladdin – for genre versatility and technical prowess at its price point
  • Penon Globe - for quintessential Penon sound and unbeatable comfort
  • Oriolus Isabellae – for cementing my love for single DD transducers and encouraging me to look into earbuds
  • Unique Melody MEST MK2 – for introducing me to kilobuck IEMs and for nudging me towards a search for more midrange presence
_DSC2846.jpg
_DSC2435.jpg

_DSC2957.jpg

_DSC2419.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #8,173 of 88,548
Add Gryphon (and GO blu) to my 2021 list. Bluetooth sound quality has finally come of age, and takes the listening experience to a new level of convenience and portability. Gryphon adds a level of high-end sound quality that takes it a step above dongles and right up to full DAP level.
I'm loving my go blu so far, but a higher end streamer like the gryphon really does look nice.

However, strictly for IEMs, which is what I would use it for, it just seems like it's overkill. Sound quality is already great on the go blu, and based on how I listen, I can't imagine there is likely tons to be gained in terms of sound quality. So what sets it apart for you specifically? What does it add to the experience that you like?

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #8,174 of 88,548
I'm loving my go blu so far, but a higher end streamer like the gryphon really does look nice.

However, strictly for IEMs, which is what I would use it for, it just seems like it's overkill. Sound quality is already great on the go blu, and based on how I listen, I can't imagine there is likely tons to be gained in terms of sound quality. So what sets it apart for you specifically? What does it add to the experience that you like?
Gryphon is a step up in sound quality, with bigger stage and more resolution, not to mention far more headroom in terms of power. If you're purely using it with Bluetooth though it may not be a huge jump, and I have no issues using Go Blu interchangeably with Gryphon in that use case.

Dec 24, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #8,175 of 88,548
They hurt my ears as in the shell is killing me:frowning2: I will try the longer bore Sednas tomorrow but right now my ears are aching badly. Hopefully no pain in the morning so I can give those tips a whirl, if no better I will have to sell them. I love the tonality especially male vocals. Leonard cohen sounds right next to me in treaty from I want it darker. But some mid tempo rock doesn’t stand up to well…the metallic edge zings through. Some
Slight wince moments in the lower treble as well. I’ll see what happens tomorrow with the OG sednas.

Sorry to hear that. What source are you using it with? I see how it could be a bit sharp up top on brighter sources. No such issues from me with M8 or SR25ii...though it didn't fare so well for me with RU6...bass was neutered somewhat and resolution isn't as good. Seems like Zen Pro is hit or miss for some...oh well the nature of this hobby. YMMV and all that.

I think I know what it is 😉

I have a suspicion and if so I think I have been among those who nudged him in that direction not too long ago. Looking forward to the big reveal either way :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back