The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 16, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #81,541 of 91,398
Hi, all. Looking at getting back into IEMs. New job - new commute. 40 mins on the bus. Hoping the water cooler could offer some advice. :)

Firstly, fit. Apparently I have small ear canals and typically use size S tips; for reference, U12Ts fit me well enough (whereas the moondrop blessing 2 were simply too wide). I also felt bass would be good for a few minutes, then the bass would soften as - I’m guessing here - the tips loosened up and out of my ear canals while on public transit. Ugh - how do y’all do it. Over ears just go on and done. Bam.

Next, sound. Based on my experience, I’d love something with the technicality of a Utopia; bass, note weight, and feel/punchiness of a closed back dynamic headphone, and timbre of a Caldera.

Next. I’m looking for TOTL, high technicality and detail retrieval. Give me all of the details. I want to hear it all! But it needs cohesion. That’s where the timbre comes into play, right? Had to sound musical!!

… and application. With these IEMs I’ll almost exclusively be listening to modern recordings. Metal, hip-hop, and EDM. No female-centric vocal genres, jazz, classical, or yacht rock - not on my commute. lol.

Budget is $4,000, max. New or used. Will be running off of a DX320 Max. a d amped with a PB5… if needed.

I’ve tried the Sennheiser IE600 and IE900s. Good. But not great. Just average to my ears. They simply don’t measure up to the overall sound and resultant feeling from Focal or ZMFs. Only other IEM I’ve owned were the U12Ts - loved the technicality, sounded good.. but eventually sold to invest in TOTL over ears; curious what the next grade up is from the U12T, honestly.

Thanks!

If money isn't an object, go with the FiR Xe6 or maybe the Rn6 based on the positive response it has (haven't heard it). Size shouldn't be an issue and obvious lineage from 64 Audio. Done.

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #81,542 of 91,398
Hi, all. Looking at getting back into IEMs. New job - new commute. 40 mins on the bus. Hoping the water cooler could offer some advice. :)

Firstly, fit. Apparently I have small ear canals and typically use size S tips; for reference, U12Ts fit me well enough (whereas the moondrop blessing 2 were simply too wide). I also felt bass would be good for a few minutes, then the bass would soften as - I’m guessing here - the tips loosened up and out of my ear canals while on public transit. Ugh - how do y’all do it. Over ears just go on and done. Bam.

Next, sound. Based on my experience, I’d love something with the technicality of a Utopia; bass, note weight, and feel/punchiness of a closed back dynamic headphone, and timbre of a Caldera.

Next. I’m looking for TOTL, high technicality and detail retrieval. Give me all of the details. I want to hear it all! But it needs cohesion. That’s where the timbre comes into play, right? Had to sound musical!!

… and application. With these IEMs I’ll almost exclusively be listening to modern recordings. Metal, hip-hop, and EDM. No female-centric vocal genres, jazz, classical, or yacht rock - not on my commute. lol.

Budget is $4,000, max. New or used. Will be running off of a DX320 Max. a d amped with a PB5… if needed.

I’ve tried the Sennheiser IE600 and IE900s. Good. But not great. Just average to my ears. They simply don’t measure up to the overall sound and resultant feeling from Focal or ZMFs. Only other IEM I’ve owned were the U12Ts - loved the technicality, sounded good.. but eventually sold to invest in TOTL over ears; curious what the next grade up is from the U12T, honestly.

Thanks!

As someone who first went into customs because of flights and other commutes, I suspect that the custom route would serve you well if you have issues with fit with UIEMs. Customs do offer the noise isolation which then lends itself to what you are looking for in terms of sound. It also helps that you slip it on and then forget about it. Finally, with customs because of much better sound isolation, you do not need to turn up the volume to counteract leakage of ambient noise, which in the long run would damage one’s hearing.

So, unless you are likely to be chasing the latest FOTM on a regular basis, customs might serve you well. :)

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #81,543 of 91,398

Thanks!
I'd second the Fei Wan recommendation if you can find one second hand or at a discounted rate. If not, then the Rn6 is probably your best bet. As @Kiats said, custom is the way to go for comfort and fit.

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #81,545 of 91,398
Decided to switch my listening approach and using a Surface Duo 2 and Ibasso Elite +Flipears Artha.

One screen of the Duo on Qobuz and the other screen for Watercooler.

The right type of multitasking 😁

1000000970.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #81,546 of 91,398
My full detailed review of UM Mason FS Soleil Tombe and Nuit Etoilee is up. Go easy on me and enjoy the read :D

um-mason_fs_24-01.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #81,547 of 91,398
I'd second the Fei Wan recommendation if you can find one second hand or at a discounted rate. If not, then the Rn6 is probably your best bet. As @Kiats said, custom is the way to go for comfort and fit.
With those specs, library and custom preference, then I agree with Fei Wan, and also suggest Grand Maestro.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #81,548 of 91,398
Right now, it sounds like a tamed Anni 23 to me, but that sounds crazy, even to me! More listening required!!
*Phew* Another crisis averted! If you said it had the Anni treble, I'd have messaged Andrew already

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #81,549 of 91,398
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #81,550 of 91,398
My full detailed review of UM Mason FS Soleil Tombe and Nuit Etoilee is up. Go easy on me and enjoy the read :D

um-mason_fs_24-01.jpg
Good read, Alex! Thanks! Look forward to giving it a listen if it is available at Jaben SG. Especially since the last Mason FS line custom I have is the Fusang. :)

And good that you set out the two TOTL UM lines and their evolution. :) Mest and MEXT lines would of course be at a different price level. :wink:

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #81,551 of 91,398
Agreed on the Monachaa. Of all the IEMs I've had run through my hands lately that one and the Fei Wan are the two that linger in my mind and heart the most.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #81,552 of 91,398
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #81,554 of 91,398
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #81,555 of 91,398
Received my Susvara today, honestly cant get the hands of the thing. Its such a good pairing with Holo Bliss and May. The Annihilator 2023 that came the same day got very brief listen but I am very impressed, its nothing I read in the reviews, with brightish tonality and dryness. Its highly detailed, but warmish deep, engaging sound profile with beautifully lush treble and great mids. Only the bass falls out of the overall great impression, its bit plasticly and lacks resolution. I will write down few notes comparing it to Jewel and Traillii, but one thing is sure - Jewel is going home and Anni with Traillii will stay. Couldnt connect to Jewel at all in the end, just dont feel the price and dont feel like the soundscape is coming together well. The original cost of over 5k is pretty bewildering.

Reading another review of UM IEM that is priced at 6k just being "pretty good" seriously makes me to question todays IEM market. With Traillii I somewhat still can justify it initial cost, since arguably it was a stepstone for the IEM community and its tuning still is superior for me comparing it to many nowdays IEMs, considering how fast IEM market is, we can safely say the thing is a masterwork. But seing so many ultra expensive IEMs pop up over the past year alone is bit weird. Especially comparing with the over ear headphone market and how much work goes into designs like ZMF, tuning and artisan wood work and how reasonably they are priced. The Susvara I currently have on my head writing this, still outclasses any IEM I had by a mile.. and is rather affordable aftermarket nowdays.

So yeah. Hope to see more somewhat still reasonably priced, but incredibly well build, designed and tuned IEMs like Annihilator instead of more overexpensive UM-like releases.. Just a few evening thoughts.

Jewel cable is garbage, did you try swapping it. It handicaps the crap out of it. Pairing with Centurion is stupid good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back