The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #81,196 of 91,368
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #81,197 of 91,368
Please post us a picture that you feel defines your country.

Throwing in this one for the Netherlands.

NL.jpg

drftr

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #81,198 of 91,368
That is not true for me, once the money is spent it is gone, the collection grows. Now it has the same exact value as all my IEMs the value I get when I listen with it. Hey just saying that not everyone is exactly the same and buys things to try and trade, I only buy what I intend to keep, blind buys are not something I can do because of this. I have only parted with one IEM and that one I gave to my daughter it was my only blind buy and my first. I have demoed 100s but only purchased what to me were unique, great design, and sounded terrific.
I wish I could do that; I live in So Cal and rarely have CanJam. I have to pick and choose carefully for these kilo-buck IEMs. I usually ended up selling them back in mint condition because I was so scared of breaking them. I have my share of broken IEMs due to my carelessness. Thank goodness, nothing more than $300, but it hurts. My Shark Vacuum ate 2 of them and I lost one during travel. Can you imagine if the Shark Vacuum ate my Mentor, or I left my Mentor in a hotel room? I will be wailing nonstop for a whole year.

I wish these bad boys were more affordable and there was a medication for clumsiness. I think I would be fine with $800 IEMs having them with me all the time and abusing them (in terms of using them daily).

do you bring your most favorite IEMs to commute regardless of their price, and go to the gym to work out?

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #81,199 of 91,368
"What does finding your endgame feel like? It makes you feel like finding another endgame."

This hobby in a nutshell lol
yeah, when you reach the kilo-buck range the difference is miniscule at best. you just need to be happy with the niche that you pick for your IEMs.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #81,200 of 91,368
I take Storm offshore with me on oil rigs...no point on living in fear of something going wrong, we've only got one life, may as well enjoy it whilst we can!

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #81,202 of 91,368
yeah, when you reach the kilo-buck range the difference is miniscule at best. you just need to be happy with the niche that you pick for your IEMs.
Unfortunately this is not true, the difference is huge.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #81,203 of 91,368
Z1r.. . This is round two for me. Only used them for watching stuff on my tablet before as they didn't align with my preferences for music when I had the before (they had stiff competition!).

Decided to make an effort and start listening to them for what they were designed for. MUB1 using LDAC to phone, Tidal discovery on for some variety, think I underestimated these previously. I wouldn't say they're on point for everything but they play a lot of stuff well. I'm guessing MUB1's slightly warm tilt helps pull it off. If they had a slight mid lift and a touch tighter bottom end they'd get a big thumbs up, hoping Brise BSEP does exactly that.

Should've taken them for spin on DMP when I had them together... :xf_rolleyes:

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #81,204 of 91,368
Z1r.. . This is round two for me. Only used them for watching stuff on my tablet before as they didn't align with my preferences for music when I had the before (they had stiff competition!).

Decided to make an effort and start listening to them for what they were designed for. MUB1 using LDAC to phone, Tidal discovery on for some variety, think I underestimated these previously. I wouldn't say they're on point for everything but they play a lot of stuff well. I'm guessing MUB1's slightly warm tilt helps pull it off. If they had a slight mid lift and a touch tighter bottom end they'd get a big thumbs up, hoping Brise BSEP does exactly that.

how is it with the 320 max?

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #81,205 of 91,368
Please post us a picture that you feel defines your country.

Throwing in this one for the Netherlands.

drftr
This was much more difficult than I thought. I chose a pic of our most touristic lake (we've got a few of those) with a tiny island floating atop carrying a ... church (carefully mentioning churches after today's rodeo on here), a castle up on the cliff in the background (plenty of castles throughout), and further back again we see the Alps touching the sky. Slovenia represented.
1000012067.jpg

I take Storm offshore with me on oil rigs...no point on living in fear of something going wrong, we've only got one life, may as well enjoy it whilst we can!
This is the correct approach. Worrying only shortens our strides. We live now.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #81,206 of 91,368
how is it with the 320 max?
Not tried yet, MUB1 ticking a big box right now! I'll have a play over the next few days.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #81,207 of 91,368
I wish I could do that; I live in So Cal and rarely have CanJam. I have to pick and choose carefully for these kilo-buck IEMs. I usually ended up selling them back in mint condition because I was so scared of breaking them. I have my share of broken IEMs due to my carelessness. Thank goodness, nothing more than $300, but it hurts. My Shark Vacuum ate 2 of them and I lost one during travel. Can you imagine if the Shark Vacuum ate my Mentor, or I left my Mentor in a hotel room? I will be wailing nonstop for a whole year.

I wish these bad boys were more affordable and there was a medication for clumsiness. I think I would be fine with $800 IEMs having them with me all the time and abusing them (in terms of using them daily).

do you bring your most favorite IEMs to commute regardless of their price, and go to the gym to work out?

No Gym for me, I am not into fitness at all.
Wish I was wired that way.

For travel I use a small billingham bag with sketch book, pens and pencils, sharpener, eraser, camera with three lenses, 2 DAPs, and two IEMs in a case.
My standard travel kit.
Always with me.

Fortunately here between NYC and Philadelphia I can go to distributors to demo. So lucky I guess, and understand that us that live in this area are fortunate with local sources.

Losing a cherished possession that stinks, sorry that happened. I once lost a sketchbook and I still think about it and wonder what happened to it. I make my own books so each one is like a child to me.

A picture of the travel kit from a few years ago.

IMG_1507.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #81,208 of 91,368

Thanks for the tip, I got a BESP coming directly from Brise Audio. From what I read, compared to code 24, Brise Audio BESP won't change the sound signature of Z1R, but just overall improvement of the sound quality.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #81,209 of 91,368
Reading this gave me a storm of anxiety πŸ˜‚

I've gotten to the point where my gear doesn't leave the house. If I go out and about, its Airpods.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #81,210 of 91,368
Hype 2 sounded like kitty poop when I started break-in . Very sharp and no base to speak of. Now one hour later it sounds much better except bass is still not right.
Strange. Was the fit right for you? The first time I put these on, the bass slapped my head right off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back