The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #77,102 of 90,429
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #77,103 of 90,429
Or you can just stream/download it While discovering new music and not hear a single difference in Audio quality and have a ultimate playlist 100 times the size of your local playlist nice and organized in one spot without having to go through computers / slow transferring while saving a ton of money 😉 Obviously, I’m the one getting pushed off the mountain but I don’t care I’m dying on this hill 😂
I don't know... I like too many "single songs" or different albums, I like personalized playlists that always offer me new music that suits my taste. I just couldn't do all that locally. Or it would cost really, really a lot of money and time which I simply don't have.

As purist and perfectionist as I am, there is a limit here. I'm happy to sacrifice better quality for the convenience of losing myself in the music instead of thinking about how, where and what I should buy and organize (possibly in the playlist). That would become a job and that's not the point of this hobby for me personally. Apart from that: I don't yet know the difference in sound between local and streamed, but even if it is so good, I don't know if I would go for it (see above). Or at least I would only do it for very rare cases. I like to be surprised by this difference at first, then I'll see.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #77,104 of 90,429
Or you can just stream/download it While discovering new music and not hear a single difference in Audio quality and have a ultimate playlist 100 times the size of your local playlist nice and organized in one spot without having to go through computers / slow transferring while saving a ton of money 😉 Obviously, I’m the one getting pushed off the mountain but I don’t care I’m dying on this hill 😂

I'm so sorry but i have to disagree when talking about Audio quality, i haven't tried platforms like Tidal because of the kind of music that I listen to (Trashy music yes). But Spotify with the highest quality, downloaded, compared to a local file of m4a quality, still has a significant difference. I've tried this with many tracks that i like and they do evidently sound different, mainly its clean playback, more details, more volume, more definition, resolution, overall sound across the FR comes out clearly without me having to look out for them. This is why i go through the "pain/hassle" of downloading tracks then moving them to my dap. It's worth it. Especially when they have FLAC 24/192khz format. But hey thats just me, I try to elevate my own listening experience with whatever method available especially when it's affordable or not so troublesome.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #77,105 of 90,429
You’ve been a part of both worlds (Headphones & IEMS) on a very elite level, so I very much respect your opinions and thoughts. I’ve gone pretty deep in the headphone world, but not IEMS. What I find hard to imagine or believe are IEMS being able to give a listener soundstage height and visceral bass impact that the very best headphones do with top tier amplification.
This is why I’m dying to go deeper into the IEM world. ✌️
I need to find out, but I do have my doubts.
The widest sounding headphones will outstage IEMs in terms of width. The Raal SR1b would be the widest sounding headphone given it has the form of nearfield speakers, well almost. Even the HD800S or the TC will stage wider. But the Utopia in my case isn’t a particularly wide sounding headphone while the Trifecta is a particularly wide sounding IEM.

With the TC, you definitely get more air displacement that you can feel around your ears, especially given the pads are worn loosely around the head.

However, because IEMs actually penetrate your ear canals, your brain can register an equally but sometimes a more visceral bass with IEMs like the Trifecta or Z1R, since the experience of bass impact is concentrated in a smaller area and is deep inside your noggin’.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #77,106 of 90,429
I've often wished for a tip button that goes straight to the artist from the streaming apps.
Now that's a really great idea, I'd use this a lot if it existed. Or a link straight to the merch.

507072.jpg.png

FINALLY, I know the name of your avatar! :blush:

Tuning-wise, it's fair to say that it's very much like the Rn6, but with less mid-bass and a greater amount of lower-treble.
... but with this kind of tuning, she's defo not for me. Okay, maybe I should at least give Fay a listen first, but less mid-bass than an IEM I didn't care for because of it's absence of mid-bass is not a good sign.

Convenience is king for sure. Apologies to continue to belabour the point of this, but at least if I'm streaming, there are 1000s of artists who are getting something for the fact I'm streaming their stuff and hearing it. Whereas without streaming I wouldn't hear it, and they would get nothing. Even 1% of something is more than 100% of nothing.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #77,107 of 90,429
The Canpur CP622B keeps being pure bliss. The most shocking fact is that no matter how much you turn the volume down, it keeps the punch and tactility. It's like it's sending these slaps and ticks from the music right into your brain. It's by far the best IEM for listening on low volume. The midrange is just fantastic, it truly reminds me of the Susvara. The top end treble extension is lacking behind my personal preference (Annihilator). Thank god for that, because otherwise i would seriously think of selling my Anni.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #77,108 of 90,429
I just lost my dog 3 days ago
Please do us a favour, Ike, and post a pic. This thread is about pets as much as gear after all.

2024 goals - Since Audio46 is about 25 min from me, I am going to take my Volur there and see if I can demo a couple Fir IEM's, and the CA Trifecta next to them, so I can see if I have a new goal to attain in '24 or I'm good to go with the Volur in my collection. I'll try the U12T finally too though I am 99.9% sure BA bass will never be good enough for me.
I'd suggest leaving your current IEMs at home for a first demo round. Just see how you gel with the new stuff during 30 minutes. When there's a real click with one of them come back for a second demo for an hour and a good mix of your music library. Then use a 3rd demo for a comparison with what you currently have, and don't be surprised that what you have actually is awesome.

IMG_6315.jpeg
keeping the classics flowing tonight, sorry for over posting but you know? One of those nights where I’m finally letting the stress of the holidays fall away. Rum helps. And Steely Dan.
I'd take Steely Dan over rum or any alcoholic drink any day. Even though I love my Belgian beers, Italian reds, German dry whites, and Spanish ports.

Favorite Steely Dan album?
For composition Pretzel Logic for sure. For uncomplicated music with a great demo-worthy sound quality Aja - especially the remastered LP.

drftr

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #77,109 of 90,429
Been on the road with 1Z + Fay Wang all afternoon. Can’t get enough of this pair up. FW experienced a glorious rebirth in my mind and heart today at the hands of the almighty WM1Z. Current top 3, in the order I first heard them:

Trifecta
Perpetua
Fay Wang

Build is a little sus and I still don’t think it or any other IEM is really worth $4800 …but I’m really loving the sound of this thing. More later.
I am aware of the negative stereotypical perception that the Chinese language all sounds the same... but I am sure you mean the Aroma Audio FEI WAN in stead of ...
1704537214167.png

Apologies for being pedantic.

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #77,111 of 90,429
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #77,112 of 90,429
I just lost my dog 3 days ago, he froze to death when someone at the house let him out when I was on vacation. We had our time with them, we did our duty and now they return home. Sorry for your loss, it certainly is difficult.
A man is sorry to hear the unfortunate circumstances of the loss of your pet too. Take care.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #77,113 of 90,429
1000118459.jpg

Right Shop emailed me this morning to confirm my order. Just waiting on that shipping confirmation.
In the interim I've spent the morning eyeing Instagram photos on various monitors and color grading is throwing me off. Obviously I'm going to have to temper my impatience and wait until these are in-hand--I've only been eyeing them for the better part of a year now--but I'm determined to find a cable that's an exact color match. Just need to determine if these are a bright yellow gold as opposed to more of a copper-y tone. Thinking it'll be my mcguffin hunt for CanJam 2024.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #77,114 of 90,429
I archive everything, and I mean everything. I buy entire discographies at once, knowing I'll get the time to deep dive into them eventually while also knowing that I'll have a music collection to gift to my daughter one day. I'm not entrusting the future of music to soulless mega-corporations for a moment.

Also, I'm still bitter about Disney+ removing TRON: Legacy.

Ok, that concludes my rant, thanks for coming to my Ted talk
From father to father: don’t. You don’t want to see the disappointment in your daughters face while presenting „the heritage“ to her 🤣🤣🤣

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #77,115 of 90,429
This track is stunning to me,
wow, never stops, this discovery.

Track Yesterday’s Parties

IMG_3322.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back