The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 25, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #75,243 of 91,346
DIO interests me a lot, and maybe Duality and even less Storm. But I was afraid they would all be too expensive.

Guys, what's going on with Raven? It's not even mentioned here (anymore). New impressions?
DIO will be 'too' expensive (for most). Storm is already 'too' expensive and will be very limited. Duality should be much cheaper than both but still expensive for a double-DD.

As for Raven, the revised version is only starting to ship this week and next I believe, so expect plenty of impressions come the new year.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #75,244 of 91,346
DIO interests me a lot, and maybe Duality and even less Storm. But I was afraid they would all be too expensive.

Of those three Dio definitely has my interest and yeah rumours are that it will be...not cheap. I'm hoping to demo it in NYC. That said there is no IEM no matter how exhorbitantly priced that doesn't come down to earth eventually. So if it's as good as I think it might be I'll just wait a year or so.

Guys, what's going on with Raven? It's not even mentioned here (anymore). New impressions?

QC issues, recalls etc. Plus while IMHO it's very good (and for me a little source dependent) I'm not sure if it has any real standout features to single it out from the embarrassment of riches we're currently enjoying in the TOTL IEM segment.

Probably old school with JVC FW10000.

There's no school like the old school.

Hey everyone, I’m hoping you can make a recommendation as I’d like to add a new IEM that can complement my existing lineup of Traillii, Jewel, and Legend X. My source is an AK 2000t, but that will likely be upgraded in 2024. I listen to a range of music from rock, live recordings, folk, pop, etc. I’m trying to keep it in the $3k range so possibly the perpetua, annihilator, or FW. I do like a more analog/warm sound and am somewhat sensitive to bright sound signatures. Would also like for it to sound somewhat different from current lineup. Appreciate your thoughts and happy holidays to everyone.

I think you're on the right track with Perpetua. I think you should also possibly consider the Trifecta.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #75,245 of 91,346
Christmas 🎄 eve relaxing with this wonderful album from the king Elvis. Merry Christmas to Everybody!

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3222.jpeg
    IMG_3222.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #75,246 of 91,346
DIO will be 'too' expensive (for most). Storm is already 'too' expensive and will be very limited. Duality should be much cheaper than both but still expensive for a double-DD.

As for Raven, the revised version is only starting to ship this week and next I believe, so expect plenty of impressions come the new year.
Of those three Dio definitely has my interest and yeah rumours are that it will be...not cheap. I'm hoping to demo it in NYC. That said there is no IEM no matter how exhorbitantly priced that doesn't come down to earth eventually. So if it's as good as I think it might be I'll just wait a year or so.

QC issues, recalls etc. Plus while IMHO it's very good (and for me a little source dependent) I'm not sure if it has any real standout features to single it out from the embarrassment of riches we're currently enjoying in the TOTL IEM segment.
Precisely because Storm is currently so expensive and of course practically impossible to find, it is out of my area of interest. The same applies to Amber Pearl. DIO could perhaps be an exception if the price will not be so exorbitant, but unfortunately that's just wishful thinking. I really like my Anni, it's very special and doesn't paint me to think how blatant DIO will be. Anyway, let's wait and see. As I understand it, it's not even certain that it will come out in 2024.

I'm curious about Raven, on the other hand. I've never had the pleasure of listening an Empire Ears. I spared myself Odin and Odyssey. Funnily enough, the opportunity has never arisen. Raven could be an exception as it will be distributed here in Germany.

OT: I always wanted to know: is there any way to turn off this thing where I have to wait a minute between messages in private? It's annoying!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #75,247 of 91,346
Precisely because Storm is currently so expensive and of course practically impossible to find, it is out of my area of interest. The same applies to Amber Pearl. DIO could perhaps be an exception if the price will not be so exorbitant, but unfortunately that's just wishful thinking. I really like my Anni, it's very special and doesn't paint me to think how blatant DIO will be. Anyway, let's wait and see. As I understand it, it's not even certain that it will come out in 2024.

I'm curious about Raven, on the other hand. I've never had the pleasure of listening an Empire Ears. I spared myself Odin and Odyssey. Funnily enough, the opportunity has never arisen. Raven could be an exception as it will be distributed here in Germany.

Yeah even if Dio were close to production if this thread/community is anything to go by interest in and the market for Annihilator is presently surging...it would be silly to undercut it in its prime by releasing a competitor alongside it.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #75,248 of 91,346
Merry Christmas to all 🙏 I hope you all have a good time.

Enjoying Christmas morning with coffee and music while watching the fireplace.

PXL_20231224_165805782.jpg

1000020290.jpg

1000020384.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #75,249 of 91,346
If I was a betting man, it would be a Super MEST, possibly to compete with Elysian DIO. There is a large product gap in UM’s portfolio between MEST MK3 and mid centric vocal sets like Amber Pearl.
Interesting. Doubtful that changes much for me. Any recommended resources where I could read up on DIO though?
There is always a new summit-fi release coming up from UM
That’s the fear #1.
And the new one is usually pricier than the last.
That’s the fear #2.
Are there any AP left in the wild? Last time I see on MT and it's already low on stock, so assume now it's sold out?
Yes. The other half of my N30LE AP is still in the jungle…

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #75,250 of 91,346
Yeah even if Dio were close to production if this thread/community is anything to go by interest in and the market for Annihilator is presently surging...it would be silly to undercut it in its prime by releasing a competitor alongside it.
I don't think DIO will compete with Anni because it'll be twice the price.

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #75,251 of 91,346
Enjoying my Kiwi Ears Quintet on my desktop, these really scale beautifully with power and current. Bass comes alive and the soundstage opens up, these sound marvelous!

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #75,252 of 91,346
Quattro is the deal of the year imho. At 399 undiscounted, it's an amazing all arounder that smokes the serial on all fronts. It smokes everything I've heard under $1k so far.
Seconded. An amazing little gem...

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #75,254 of 91,346
Dec 25, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #75,255 of 91,346
Just taking the Stax Sigma Pro out for a X’mas day listen. Shanling ET-3 which is a CD transport and so much more as source. :)

IMG_1557.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back