The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 9, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #72,871 of 91,371
I’ll never forget my first audition of the OG Hugo, where I thought blue balls = quiet and red balls = loud. It’s safe to say I never made that mistake ever again. :D
I can imagine that. Poor eardrums :joy:
IIRC Red = low volume, White = loudest? I don't mind about the volume indicator. What I hate is when I need to choose which color for which source :sweat_smile:
I need to click those balls several time to find the correct one.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #72,872 of 91,371
Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?

Survey question 2: What item is #1 on your radar as we close out 2023?
Q1: Vision Ears. I really liked the EXT, and have not gotten to hear Phonix (OG/LE), VE8, VEX, Aura, Elysium, Erlkonig ... I sure would like to someday.
Q2: Erebus and Bonneville ... though they just arrived today! VEX may become an early 2024 FOMO.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #72,873 of 91,371
I thought the 7Hz Timeless are quite good? I don't know about Audeze's iSine series though...
Looking for TOTL techs and such too, and as i recall in my very very brief time with those, they had a little wonky timbre. Kinda hoping for the WHOLE planar package of extremely fast drivers and at least an above average timbral accuracy.
For me, I think it's not the brand that he hate (or maybe he's not hating it actually?) but more towards the attitude of Rob. But I can understand Rob too. As a designer, he must have a principle about the products that he design or else it'll end up as a market pleaser only and Chord won't be a unique brand that we know (I just don't understand those colored balls control). I used to have Hugo2 too and yes I like how it sounds, but I don't really like the quirky control. I don't mind is it a single ended or balanced as long as the sounds suits me well, but because most of my cable now is a balanced I rarely search a product with a single ended output :ksc75smile:
Basically this, it's purely a Rob thing. He makes a LOT of statements and then contradictory statements which directly invalidate his own claims and validity as an engineer. You can't state you can hear things down to -350 DB (-200 spl) and then at the same time say that double blind AB(x) testing with equalized outputs is "too exhausting", your claims are immediately marketing spatter (in reality worse than marketing spatter, i just cannot think of the correct thing to call it at the moment).

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #72,874 of 91,371
Q1 the elusive (in UK) Madoo would love to give them a listen
Q2. CA Trifecta I dream of the bass

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #72,875 of 91,371
Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?
Fir Audio. I haven't had a chance to listen to any of their offerings.

Campfire Trifecta. I started my audiophile journey with the Campfire Solaris SE and I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted with Campfire.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #72,876 of 91,371
I wanted to comment on this post again. You are quite right to point out that the prices of summit fi IEMs have gone off the rails in recent years. I also think you correctly point out that exclusivity is a motivation for some-- this is practically a truism and an intrinsic part of human nature. However the tone of your post here crosses a line and seems to strike a resentful tone towards those who, for whatever reason, choose to indulge themselves in the highest price tiers of IEMs. This is not the first time you have done this in this thread and I am respectfully asking you to stop it. There are inumerable audio communities out there where people love to cast aspersions at the cost and value of high end IEMs and stroke themselves into believing that those of us who partake in the same are deluded or lost in lala land. The fact is that the folks who comprise this community are by and large educated professionals who can keep their own council around how they spend their money, where they perceive value to be and where to invest their money in order to receive a proportional amount of joy and satisfaction. We don't need folks who don't see the value, or who are butt hurt they can't partake-- to come in here and stomp their feet, whine out loud, and tell us how we should or should not be spending our money. If that's your thing go to Reddit or one of the more budget oriented threads on Head Fi. This is a community where all are welcome but as in any community proper ettiquette demands that when visiting you use tact and respect established norms and values. I hope this post strikes you in the right spirit. I have appreciated your contributions in the past, and am prepared to do so in the future-- but kindly stop these resentful and dismissive posts around the perceived value of high end IEMs. The market can and will correct itself eventually-- and until it does we should all just be grateful that we're living through an era where there are endgame qulaity products on just about every conceivable price tier.

Well said sir. I still remember a time over a decade ago discussing a custom knife I. Wanted to buy and being told I was stupid in that I could buy 20 perfectly useful ones for the same price, use one and thrown it out when it got dull and probably never run out of knives..
Well the same guy was over in the motorcycle section of the forum raving about some new $$ rims for his dirt bike….
I wish I had had your response rather than the one I gave him.. ha ha..

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #72,877 of 91,371
Joining the survey in a timely fashion this time 🤭

Storm and LP7. Seems like large Storm ownership % here on WC but it's hard to come by. I'm fortunate to frequent Japan to visit the stores etc for other stuff but Storm just isn't available. The price is hard to swallow too, haha.

LP7 - I got lucky to get in on LP6Ti7AE... I have no idea what L&P is going to improve ... nowhere in sight ... elusive.

VEX, closely followed by FW and Loki. I have not heard VEX (or proto). I love VE's tuning so this probably tops my list now.

I want to form a good in home opinion on FW/Loki. I've demoed them but they didn't immediately stand out in show conditions. Those are usually the tasty ones 😋

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #72,878 of 91,371
Hand delivered my N7 to a local buyer earlier.

received_686871102887046.jpeg

I appreciate the in person audio chats to these trades as well as the added reassurance by skipping the shipping.

On another note: I purchased another RS8 from @wazzupi

Screenshot_20230828-192715_Chrome.jpg

According to @wazzupi @SteveK27 @KKNAYANA the firmware filter update is awesome. Hyped to try it! :)
I've listened to three different RS8, they all sounded different, with the dealers one sounding the best.
Curious to know whether anyone else had similar observations.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #72,879 of 91,371
Is there flexibility in tours around issues of the sort? For reference, I expect to travel maybe 1 out of every 4-5 weeks over the winter and spring.

Yup. I've got a pretty good low-maintenance system in place. Basically there's a master list of folks registered for the tours (one for the US and one for Canada) and the IEM in question works its way through the list and folks sound off when they receive the kit in question. If you follow the thread you'll get a sense of when your turn will come up and if the timing doesn't work (or if you're not interested in the IEMs in question) you can pass on the tour or PM me to switch your spot on the list. Easy peasy.

CFA and Noble. I’ve unfortunately heard nothing from either brand. Ragnar, Spartacus, Andro 2020, Trifecta and Bonneville all on my “want to hear” list.

Well you'll get to hear the Bonneville on the tour eventually :D

Q1: Vision Ears. I really liked the EXT, and have not gotten to hear Phonix (OG/LE), VE8, VEX, Aura, Elysium, Erlkonig ... I sure would like to someday.
Q2: Erebus and Bonneville ... though they just arrived today! VEX may become an early 2024 FOMA.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Fir Audio. I haven't had a chance to listen to any of their offerings.

Sign up for the tour. The whole Frontier kit is in Ontario right now and if you register you'll have it in the next 2-3 weeks.

Joining the survey in a timely fashion this time 🤭

Storm and LP7. Seems like large Storm ownership % here on WC but it's hard to come by. I'm fortunate to frequent Japan to visit the stores etc for other stuff but Storm just isn't available. The price is hard to swallow too, haha.

LP7 - I got lucky to get in on LP6Ti7AE... I have no idea what L&P is going to improve ... nowhere in sight ... elusive.

VEX, closely followed by FW and Loki. I have not heard VEX (or proto). I love VE's tuning so this probably tops my list now.

I want to form a good in home opinion on FW/Loki. I've demoed them but they didn't immediately stand out in show conditions. Those are usually the tasty ones 😋

LP7 is eluding everyone haha

Were you at CanJam Dallas? I thought there would have been a Storm there. Failing that, come to NYC in March- it would be great to meet.

I reached out to VE today about a VEX tour unit. They had previously said they'd get me one but that was months ago...hopefully that offer still stands.

I'm surprised at all the posters here in the US and Canada lamenting about not having access to IEMs that are available as part of our tour program. Please head to the tour thread and sign up.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #72,880 of 91,371
I've listened to three different RS8, they all sounded different, with the dealers one sounding the best.
Curious to know whether anyone else had similar observations.
When is the post you were quoting? I thought @Natesdailies is selling his RS8 right now, I am really attempted.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #72,881 of 91,371
They’re absolutely creating exclusivity, and you can’t blame them. They’re basically the JH Audio of Japan; serving the majority of artists there whilst having a huge audiophile clientele too. They’re keeping their own standards as high as possible by limiting international orders, which is admirable. That said, you don’t need a Japanese citizenship or mastery of the language to order from them. They have a number of trusted dealers around Asia, where you can easily place an order.
Sadly it's not need a citizenship or mastery of the language, it's must be a japanese resident to order directly.

AKA I have order from Singapore to order, which honestly just feels wrong given that I'm fluent in Japanese

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #72,882 of 91,371
Were you at CanJam Dallas? I thought there would have been a Storm there. Failing that, come to NYC in March- it would be great to meet.

Yeah I was at Dallas. Someone had it. Missed quite a few opportunities while taking others... hope to make another one and meet everyone!

I reached out to VE today about a VEX tour unit. They had previously said they'd get me one but that was months ago...hopefully that offer still stands.

That's awesome! Fingers crossed! I need to get back on your tour list. I have to say your tour is very much appreciated and extremely valuable for us in north America where it's hard to audition in most parts of the country.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #72,883 of 91,371
For those who want to get Madoo, make sure you have a trusted local dealer. On a trip to Singapore, I bought Madoo typ 821, which I honestly thing sounded bloody good. Upon my return back home, one of the iem split in two(faulty screw).
Long story short, it's been thre months, after many emails( which I frankly shouldn't have send) a replacement unit is mailed back to me.
I don't know what went wrong, what took too long, why the dealer couldn't give me a straight answer. All I know is now I know the importance of reputable local dealers.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #72,884 of 91,371
Too bloody right! My own journey has led me to focus on more of the TOTL stuff the last 12-18 months or so, but every time I dip down into the sub-1k space I seem to find something worthwhile.

Latest is the 7th Acoustics Supernova, as it follows a tour here in Australia, what a fantastic gem this is:
Supernova.jpg

Lovely warm mid-bass, good stage depth, great dynamics, and no peaks or any harshness anywhere in the upper frequencies, I can listen to this all day.
IMG20231201000700.jpg

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #72,885 of 91,371
Sadly it's not need a citizenship or mastery of the language, it's must be a japanese resident to order directly.

AKA I have order from Singapore to order, which honestly just feels wrong given that I'm fluent in Japanese
Oh, when it comes to direct orders, yes, you do need Japanese residency. I believe you get a much cheaper price that way too. I think FitEar have done an excellent job not flooding themselves, whilst not being completely unattainable either. We’ve seen with some brands this year what can happen when you get too big too fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back