The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #7,261 of 88,552
Thanks Scuba. I have been wondering what Serial sounds like, but no one here had them. Just figured out how to post full sized pics. Sen 660S W/ Norne cable.
C286E107-1B34-4C07-BA00-9E9CCE3ADFB9_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #7,262 of 88,552
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #7,263 of 88,552
This was brought up the other day in our hug-a-thon but I wanted to express my gratitude for the lack of ego in this thread. Everyone is so genuine and willing to express themselves sincerely-- when we disagree, on impressions or on some philosophical point, there's no chest thumping, sour grapes, dismissiveness, or people taking things too personally...it's refreshing. Kudos all.

Have you tip rolled at all? I noticed the timeless is a bit tip dependent like most iems I suppose.

At your suggestion I looked at some softer tips and tried the Spiral Dots ++ for most of yesterday. It didn't change the sound at all and they were harder to keep firm in my ear leading the one of the nozzles to dig into my ears. I don't generally have fit issues but I have to be careful wit Timeless due to their strange design. After switching to the SR25II & SU6 (plus perhaps some burn in) most of my nitpicks with the sound vanished entirely-- so I switched back to my OG Sednas, whose firmer material helps keep the Timeless locked into my ears. I used these tips to great effect with the IER Z1R for similar reasons.

It has an uncanny ability to ‘centre’ the vocalist in its headstage, seemingly escaping stereo separation almost completely, but at the same time avoids the somewhat excessively intimate and forwardness of the OG Zen.

This was something I noticed as well and one of my favorite aspects of the sound presentation.

Is Timeless better for you than Duo because it's better, or because it's better value? Or is this just a snapshot of a fluid ranking?

Definitely more of a snapshot fluid ranking. Honestly the whole concept of a ranking list is especially misguided here as all of those items in my list are top performers at what they do-- Duo could easily be #1. What's important is that when I'm listening to any one of those 3 IEMs (or my other faves I have on hand) I don't miss the others-- this is what's really important. Right now I have a collection that offers an impressive variety of different sonic characteristics that I'm into-- which is what it's become all about for me.

I went to order Timeless this morning on Amazon UK but 4.4mm is out of stock, in absolute horror, I quickly made my way to Penon and ordered Serial... I've been as curious about this with 3 DDs as I have Timeless. May as well go out of 2021 with a bang.

🙉 🙈 🙊

I may yet succumb to that new CFA IEM...that's probably my last real shot at temptation this year (famous last words I know). I'm really tempted to order a second Timeless though...not because they're that much better than anything but because of one potentially breaking due to build quality issues and the fact that they're only $200.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #7,264 of 88,552
What's important is that when I'm listening to any one of those 3 IEMs (or my other faves I have on hand) I don't miss the others-- this is what's really important.
Agreed. This is ultimately how I decide what stays and what goes. If I can listen to something without thinking about how the music will sound with something else, I know it's a keeper. I can count on one hand the number of keepers I own at any given time. I also tend not to look for more once I've found the right fit for specific use cases.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #7,265 of 88,552
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-serial.25604/reviews#review-27493

For anyone interested in Serial. Here is a nice review of it from the front page a few days ago.
I only have heard the Orb and if that one is any indication,they are experts at tuning a natural sounding IEM. It's a single DD and BA hybrid and it's one one of the best tuned IEMs I've heard. The bass tuning is just amazing between sub and mid bass.
This was brought up the other day in our hug-a-thon but I wanted to express my gratitude for the lack of ego in this thread. Everyone is so genuine and willing to express themselves sincerely-- when we disagree, on impressions or on some philosophical point, there's no chest thumping, sour grapes, dismissiveness, or people taking things too personally...it's refreshing. Kudos all.

At your suggestion I looked at some softer tips and tried the Spiral Dots ++ for most of yesterday. It didn't change the sound at all and they were harder to keep firm in my ear leading the one of the nozzles to dig into my ears. I don't generally have fit issues but I have to be careful wit Timeless due to their strange design. After switching to the SR25II & SU6 (plus perhaps some burn in) most of my nitpicks with the sound vanished entirely-- so I switched back to my OG Sednas, whose firmer material helps keep the Timeless locked into my ears. I used these tips to great effect with the IER Z1R for similar reasons.

This was something I noticed as well and one of my favorite aspects of the sound presentation.

Definitely more of a snapshot ranking. Honestly the whole concept of a ranking list is especially misguided here as all of those items in my list are top performers at what they do-- Duo could easily be #1. What's important is that when I'm listening to any one of those 3 IEMs (or my other faves I have on hand) I don't miss the others-- this is what's really important. They offer me an impressive variety of different sonic characteristics I'm into-- which is what it's become all about for me.

I may yet succumb to that new CFA IEM...that's probably my last real shot at temptation this year (famous last words I know). I'm really tempted to order a second Timeless though...not because they're that much better than anything but because of one potentially breaking due to build quality issues and the fact that they're only $200.
I don't have any fit issues with Timeless, but my tips of choice are the OG Sednas too. They soften the treble for me a bit.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #7,266 of 88,552
Agreed. This is ultimately how I decide what stays and what goes. If I can listen to something without thinking about how the music will sound with something else, I know it's a keeper. I can count on one hand the number of keepers I own at any given time. I also tend not to look for more once I've found the right fit for specific use cases.

Since we're on the topic I'll sing the praises of Duo for a bit as it's become a bit overshadowed by other gear I have-- and honestly it hasn't attracted nearly enough attention generally given its price point and how stupidly good it is at what it does. Duo is possibly the best example of indulgent bass, forward & impeccably tuned mids and across-the-board technical excellence that I've heard. It's an amazing combination of a classy, disciplined and fun presentation that sounds good with absolutely everything.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #7,267 of 88,552
Uhm...I'd like to nudge you to my recommendation...a gentle nudge....

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #7,268 of 88,552
The Timeless is the first IEM that does this for me very consistently.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #7,269 of 88,552
I don't have any fit issues with Timeless, but my tips of choice are the OG Sednas too. They soften the treble for me a bit.
What I experienced with the Sednaearfit Light is that they expand the stage, but also empowers the bass. A rare combination I must say. Did not experience any treble softening, however, I can confirm that the Crystal tips definitely accentuates the treble by a noticeable extent, and of course extends the stage even more.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #7,270 of 88,552
Uhm...I'd like to nudge you to my recommendation...a gentle nudge....

Nudge received! The CFA IEM has the advantage that I'll be able to demo it next week however...

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #7,271 of 88,552
What I experienced with the Sednaearfit Light is that they expand the stage, but also empowers the bass. A rare combination I must say. Did not experience any treble softening, however, I can confirm that the Crystal tips definitely accentuates the treble by a noticeable extent, and of course extends the stage even more.
I agree about the Crystals. But we're talking relative to other tips of course. So the OG Sednas work best for me.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #7,272 of 88,552
I can count on one hand the number of keepers I own at any given time.

Same here-- exactly one hand at this particular time lol

I'm just glad I broke the habit of lusting after IEMs that are outside of my financial comfort zone in an age where we're experience something of a Golden Age of IEMs at the ~$500 - $2K tier.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #7,273 of 88,552
Dongle breaking in with Senn 660S.
4E1B6D8F-46F5-4E00-9648-3CAC706288F0_1_201_a.jpeg

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #7,274 of 88,552
I have never sold any of my IEMs or related equipment. I just divide it in two for each of my houses. I would love to sell off my early cheap IEMs, but would not get enough for them to be worth while. I have been dividing some of them between my son, and two of my wife's cousins who are two of my best friends. The $100 and up IEMs will take a bit of sifting thru.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #7,275 of 88,552

I really need to try a CFA in 2022, a new year's resolution! I love their branding and minimal styling. I must start researching.

First beer outside my home in several weeks, cheers all! Dublin city feeling nice and festive in spite of covid.

20211218_142836.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back