The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #71,671 of 91,357

You know how some people say that this IEM’s BA bass is so good that it sounds like a DD? The following IEMs get singled out for their BA bass (am yet to hear the AP):
- Symphonium Helios
- 64 Audio U12T
- UM Multiverse Mentor
- Subtonic Storm

However, I am willing to go out on a limb and say in terms of realism of BA bass sounding like a DD, nothing I have heard till date comes close to the FlipEars Artha.

And in general, its a truly remarkable IEM. Outstanding technical performance meets fantastic tonality and timbre, with highlights being a turbo-charged bass (with bass switch on), a lifelike extended treble, and mids that could give any mid head IEM a run for its money.

The FlipEars Artha is probably the best IEM most have never heard (now that the Perpetua is slowly gaining recognition).

Hope those of you planning to attend Canjam Singapore get to try it out! 🤘🏻
I see that you also like the Jewel/Orphy combo.

After experimenting more, I do like Orphy with Jewel more than with the RN6. With that said, I am absolutely not saying that Orphy with RN6 is a poor match.

On the Jewel the 1950s shielding makes some of the vocals sound a little shouty (though on very rare occasions) anyone else share similar experiences?

The bass on the Jewel is already semi light to begin with so Orphy adds some nice bass weight. I know some have mentioned having an external amp for Jewel to help with the light-ish bass but I decided to keep my portable set up simple for 3 reasons.

1. excuse to save $$$$
2. practical travel
3. annoyed with unpacking and packing away "only" the DAP and IEMs during travel

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #71,672 of 91,357
IMG_6112.jpeg

You know how some people say that this IEM’s BA bass is so good that it sounds like a DD? The following IEMs get singled out for their BA bass (am yet to hear the AP):
- Symphonium Helios
- 64 Audio U12T
- UM Multiverse Mentor
- Subtonic Storm

However, I am willing to go out on a limb and say in terms of realism of BA bass sounding like a DD, nothing I have heard till date comes close to the FlipEars Artha.

And in general, its a truly remarkable IEM. Outstanding technical performance meets fantastic tonality and timbre, with highlights being a turbo-charged bass (with bass switch on), a lifelike extended treble, and mids that could give any mid head IEM a run for its money.

The FlipEars Artha is probably the best IEM most have never heard (now that the Perpetua is slowly gaining recognition).

Hope those of you planning to attend Canjam Singapore get to try it out! 🤘🏻
With an attractive stained glass faceplate.
Never saw Artha coming. 🙂

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #71,673 of 91,357
Because the correct phase and the correct connection of the cables are discussed here .
Both on Tidal and Qobuz. To be found enter Bunker Analog in the search field.
There are also other useful test titles still included .
For the correct Phase title 2 Phase Check ..

Klangvolle Grüße , NOMOS

IMG_4151.jpeg

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #71,675 of 91,357
Because the correct phase and the correct connection of the cables are discussed here .
Both on Tidal and Qobuz. To be found enter Bunker Analog in the search field.
There are also other useful test titles still included .
For the correct Phase title 2 Phase Check ..

Klangvolle Grüße , NOMOS

Thanks for sharing this, it’s rather obvious that it sounds wrong when out of phase, even with her voice 👍

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #71,676 of 91,357
And btw maybe I’m wrong but as long as the polarity is the same on each side it should be ok no ? I mean if I reverse each side’s polarity (groove key inward on both) ?
Not really. What's happening is easiest to imagine thinking about a big subwoofer: If one of the channels has its polarity reversed when you hit a drum one woofer would push forward while the other pushes backward. This creates a strange effect while both speakers play music. When they both use reverse polarity they both play music but when that drum is hit the woofers both push backward, while obviously you'd want them to push forward as there's huge benefits for imaging and dynamics among many other things.

Hope this makes sense for you?

drftr

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #71,678 of 91,357
Yes it’s
Not really. What's happening is easiest to imagine thinking about a big subwoofer: If one of the channels has its polarity reversed when you hit a drum one woofer would push forward while the other pushes backward. This creates a strange effect while both speakers play music. When they both use reverse polarity they both play music but when that drum is hit the woofers both push backward, while obviously you'd want them to push forward as there's huge benefits for imaging and dynamics among many other things.

Hope this makes sense for you?

drftr

Yes it makes a lot of sense said like that. So to resume : beware of out of phase (one side reversed) ... but also of reversed polarity (both sides reversed) !

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #71,679 of 91,357
You know how some people say that this IEM’s BA bass is so good that it sounds like a DD?

I think for me it's less a matter of sounding like a DD and more a matter of feeling like a DD. BAs can simulate good decay and have good timbre but that in combination with the visceral feeling, movement of air and concomitant meatiness that comes with an actual DD is what really seals the deal. YMMV etc. DD equivalent BAs are the philosopher's stone of portable audio.

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #71,680 of 91,357
Hi guys, :)

It’s been a while I’m thinking about jumping into the custom IEM world, so today I went back to the store where they have the Canpur lineup to re-demo for a countless time the 2 flagships models of the brand, the CP622B and CP54E which I really like a lot.
CP622B has been in my top 5 for a wile now, so I ended up going for it as custom. I prefer it a bit more overall to the CP54E. It’s more technically proficient with its amazing soundstage and detail retrieval. I do really enjoy CP54E’s bass though! Truly remarkable and it’s even more shocking since it’s BA bass! But what a BA bass! The shop actually received the 64Audio Volur for demo and what blew my mind is that CP54E’s bass is even more tactile and rumbly than Volur’s! If I didn’t know it was BA, I would have never guessed… It reaches super deep and has fantastic texture.

CP622B is also amazing for bass, just a bit less elevated than CP54E. On the other hand, the guy from the shop owns a pair of custom CP622B and he told me the bass is significantly better on the custom version than the universal. Also, since CP622B has 2 BCD drivers, it’s the set that gets the biggest SQ upgrade by going custom. So I went that route! :)
Now need to wait a month to get it.

Here are some pictures (sorry for the quality, it was very dark in the shop and it really doesn’t make justice to those sets) :

Canpur CP622B

Canpur CP54E

64 Audio Volur

Volur is a descente set, the bass is quite satisfying but the tonality and the trebles aren’t to my tastes. I prefer the 2 Canpur by some significant margin! Still, it’s one of the nicer 64 Audio in the lineup.

I’ll let you guys know how good (or bad) Canpur customs are when I receive them! :)

Cheers,

Julien

I had both of those on hand for the past few days. Regrettably I didn't spend enough time with either to do them justice. I will say that the CP622B is quite good in a really "straight laced" sort of way. I could see it really appealing to the u12t/Monarch II/III crowd and if I was in the market for that "neutral with bass boost" sort of sound that's probably where I'd go.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #71,681 of 91,357
I think for me it's less a matter of sounding like a DD and more a matter of feeling like a DD. BAs can simulate good decay and have good timbre but that in combination with the visceral feeling, movement of air and concomitant meatiness that comes with an actual DD is what really seals the deal. YMMV etc. DD equivalent BAs are the philosopher's stone of portable audio.
Spot on, BA drivers are the vegan burgers of bass.

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #71,682 of 91,357
Nov 26, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #71,684 of 91,357

Users who are viewing this thread

Back