The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #68,867 of 91,357
Also as some may remember, besides the high bias tapes, ranked above those were the metal tapes. Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/TDK-MA110-Biased-Minutes-Cassette/dp/B000000O26/ref=sr_1_1?crid=337QS0NM2PUGW&keywords=maxell+metal+tape+cassette&qid=1698597151&sprefix=maxelle+metal+tape+casette,aps,213&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

I used a metal tape or tapes as master tapes in a 4 track recorder. Not sure but perhaps if someone seriously wanted the highest quality recording of a FLAC to a cassette tape, it might be worth looking into. That said the length of the tape might make it go haywire in a typical walkman, or it may not even play? I dunno.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #68,868 of 91,357
I’ve mostly been pairing with my N7 or LPGT Ti and both are excellent - I plan to spend more time with my desktop this week. Oh and agreed, absolutely has the capability to be an endgame set - ticks every imaginable box in terms of my preferences.

IMG_8448.jpeg
Looking forward to your review, or at least before a full review, some in-depth impression.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #68,869 of 91,357
:smile: For DSD, I don't think I'd try it with compact cassettes... maybe Elcaset if you can find a secret stash of NOS Type-II Elcasets? Otherwise, just go full reel-to-reel?
many moons ago just for fun, recorded vinyl onto reel-to-reel and compared...and surprising to me was the recording was more pleasing to listen to. Finding the tapes though is a reel challenge.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #68,870 of 91,357
Looking forward to your review, or at least before a full review, some in-depth impression.

I’ve several pages of notes written today while listening to multiple different genres - I’ll hopefully share at least some deeper impressions in the next couple of days, and a full review in a couple of weeks. Some reviews feel like a bit of a chore, and there are a rare few that I feel bursting with enthusiasm, needless to say, it’s the latter for Erebus! A good few photos taken today also.

IMG_8500.jpeg

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #68,871 of 91,357
Also as some may remember, besides the high bias tapes, ranked above those were the metal tapes. Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/TDK-MA110-Biased-Minutes-Cassette/dp/B000000O26/ref=sr_1_1?crid=337QS0NM2PUGW&keywords=maxell+metal+tape+cassette&qid=1698597151&sprefix=maxelle+metal+tape+casette,aps,213&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

I used a metal tape or tapes as master tapes in a 4 track recorder. Not sure but perhaps if someone seriously wanted the highest quality recording of a FLAC to a cassette tape, it might be worth looking into. That said the length of the tape might make it go haywire in a typical walkman, or it may not even play? I dunno.
lol, YES!
I actually released a few lo-fi acoustic albums in the late 90's using Maxell metal cassette masters from a Tascam 488. They got mastered to vinyl and CD.
Hi-bias TDK or Metal Maxell had the best treble and were most resilient. The other standard tape would get destroyed prematurely and the treble would get warped and blow out after a few passes. Unless you were going for the aesthetic the sound quality was terrible. Warm and musical, but ass.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #68,872 of 91,357
I'm also wondering how well all these IEMs play with those vintage Walkmans and Portable Cassette Players?

I wasn’t that impressed, especially with hybrids / tribrids. Single DDs were better, but I’m finding buds the best. A surprising amount of power also, very rare I’ve to go beyond around 3 or 4 out of 10.

Oh and very nice also with my old AKG K450 on ear headphones.

Edit - it seems higher end IEMs are just too resolving for the older cassette quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #68,873 of 91,357
I bought size large as I was told these were smaller in size however the large is still too large for me.
I received size L Baroques this week and they were more like M for me. I always have good luck with L or XL tips and this is the first time I feel like my ears are like an elephants! If anyone wants a discounted new set, PM me.

Edit: sold!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #68,876 of 91,357
Oct 29, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #68,877 of 91,357

I remember those black & gold Maxell cassettes. They even had a more premium feel compared to the other cassettes. I'm not sure if I still have all my cassettes, I need to raid my basement storage.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #68,878 of 91,357
I also loved the ‘That’s’ Chrome cassettes, oh and Sony too.
Oh yes! I remember That's cassettes! I liked them because they were transparent

1698607092972.png

The metal one had a cool packaging and look

1698607242635.png

1698607266999.png

Taiyo Yuden, the manufacturer of the That's cassettes still exists https://www.yuden.co.jp/or/

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #68,879 of 91,357
I have the same problem. I'm probably one of the biggest customers here in Poland.

No normal person purchases like 10 PWA shielding cables, etc. But it's typical for the distributors to just ignore my messages. I have to nag them about my questions as some kind of obtrusive intruder. And I'm not asking about a $200 IEM, but a $5k purchase.

It's sometimes similar with production companies. I remember waiting for more than six months for UM to refit my MEST mk1 and mk2. Recently I waited for Craft Ears to send back my serviced Zeus XRA for two months.

Don't even get me started about my legendary adventures of purchasing the Viento R and sending it back and forth. It goes on and on with more than 50% of the companies.

I came to believe that this whole industry is strange, very proud and people working here are somewhat burnt-out. Either they have too much money and don't care anymore, or they have too little success and don't know what to do anymore.

The 'audiophile segment' of the headphone market has always been a modest share relatively :) According to this report about North America, Europe and Latin America, the majority of headphone models sold are in the $10 to $300 USD range (unsure why SE Asia is omitted)

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/research/headphone-sound-report-2023

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #68,880 of 91,357
The 'audiophile segment' of the headphone market has always been a modest share relatively :) According to this report about North America, Europe and Latin America, the majority of headphone models sold are in the $10 to $300 USD range (unsure why SE Asia is omitted)

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/research/headphone-sound-report-2023

Of course that's right.
And regarding my message that you cited, we have two business models inside this whole audio industry which are completely different and opposite:

1. Service-based creators-led atrisan business.
Expensive stuff. Done by hand. Low level of automation both in production and in the customer service (and other processes too). Lower quality as a result - meaning that there is a larger unit variance, more mistakes and defects.
Companies are somewhat organised just enough to cope with tens or hundreds of orders. Organisation is barely good enough to get a job done in 4-12 weeks as maybe no one ever mapped and optimized the stream of value flow. People are juggling emails and get tired of messaging back and forth which disrupts their focus on more value-inducing tasks.
Product is expensive enough to be repaired, reshelled, ownership transferred etc. which always requires thought and skill, and so many customer contact points destabilize any attempts to achieve a flow in the processes.
Higher prices require stronger marketing efforts meaning managing social media accounts, publishing photos, artist deals and reviewers, thus even more distraction.

2. Manufacturing-based administration-led trade business. Think Sony.
Mostly cheap stuff. Done by machines or by inexpensive employees trained to do just a few specialized operations on a production line. Higher quality as a result - quality meaning "every unit is made according to standard". Not much unit variance, however there may be defects due to cost optimization and lower quality of used materials.
High level of organisation both in production (neccessary to warrant a stable level of quality across thousands of products) but by extension of company culture - also in administrative tasks. So the processes are orderly laid out. Company gets thousands of orders maybe, or hundreds if working through a wider distribution chain. Product is cheap enough to be replaced or just thrown away. So there are almost no customer requests and there even may be no way to contact the company, especially if the customer service was delegated to distribution.

Some companies manage to mix both business models under one brand, which seems astonishing.
Look at Noble: they are making $4k CIEMs from stabilized wood with the company owner personally answering emails, helping to choose a block of wood and overseeing the process. Then they also have their own TWS earphones mass manufactured with DAC chips, ANC and such. I may only guess that this is in a partnership with a Chinese subcontractor as this is a completely different type of manufacturing organization.

There are also silent revolutions like FiR Audio, making hi-end custom IEMs in an organized way so that for the first time in this industry a 3-day rush order is available along with a 7-day option. Channel matching is impeccable, 2pin sockets are proprietary to last longer, etc. That's the way things should be, but one needs to be not only a great audio artisan, but also a superb manager to build a company organized like this. Very few can wear both hats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back