The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 17, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #67,142 of 91,340
When I speak Bass, it is mostly in refrence to Hip-Hop.

Good Bass, for me is that sub bass rumble that lingers, a lot of people call it slow / flabby. This bass was a rage in the 90's.

Most of the IEMs at the moment have mid paced to fast bass depending upon implementation and some emphasize mid bass much more than sub bass. XE6 !!

I think it is better if audiophiles would write about mid bass & sub bass details while explaining great BA or DD bass.

For newer music production, busy tracks, BA Bass could possibly be good enough.
IMG_0053.jpeg

Just came back from a brief listen of the Loki. Was unplanned. A/B it with the MM. One song. DD bass was nice.

Oct 17, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #67,143 of 91,340
Excellent choice :wink:

Really loving Raph with EXT, a great contrast to the Eletech PxS P8 pairing. An exciting, romatic but no less detailed signature compared to the more measured and balanced PxS - Im enjoying it a lot.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 13.18.59.png

@Auricon was spot on with his impressions haha I need to thank him. This is a great pairing and the cable seems to punch well above its price point.

It was you and @Auricon's posts that influenced my decision lol.

Great to hear you guys are enjoying the pairing. Been running in Raph and enjoying with RN6, oddly less so with XE6 – could have been my source or my sinuses xD

Oct 17, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #67,146 of 91,340
I would only risk my $ on Storm for an all BA set as I do want bass. It is also because of their sound philosophy. It resonates with my liking.

Fair enough. FWIW Storm is not all BA-- it has e-stats up top. That said for my preferneces if I was going for an IEM without a DD I would be focused more on romantic and seductive mids than bass, which is why I named Phonix LE, Traillii and Amber Pearl in an earlier post. Those would be my picks for best mids at the ultra $$ bracket. They all have great bass too for what that's worth-- and this is coming from a DD devotee.

Absolutely and @Sajid Amit even listens to Fear Factory. Now you know that is cool!

There is a band I have not thought about in a long time. I was all over this in 1997.

Is there an iem, that can be nicknamed as 'Andromeda 2020 but with bass'? I'm very sensitive to sibilance. However I find Andros lacking in bass department, both quantity and quality wise. It is just a little too thin and not punchy. I'm looking for is a dark-ish signature, but with great technical capability, still being able to hear all the details in the high hats, wide soundstage and resolution.

The new Bonneville is exactly that.

VE iems will do the job. VEX/Phonix will do the job.

+1 . EXT too.

I always hear people say: "such such IEM has great BA bass"

but what is "great bass"

it's different for everyone... (for me it's also different for each genre of music)

DD bass isn't inherently better than BA bass, but I have not yet been satisfied by BA bass (including U12t)

We just hashed this out a few days ago somewhat. Neither is "inherently better" in an absolute sense, however each has different and unique strengths over the other that stem from the nature of the drivers themselves. In a word, BAs as a rule are more articulating and technical, DDs are more visceral and natural sounding. I haven't yet been satisfied by BA bass either in the long term, which is the only reason I haven’t snagged a used bird or Phonix yet.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #67,147 of 91,340
The past few weeks have been a whirlwind between health issues and my kiddo having night terrors, but I finally got some listening time in this morning (still haven't even gotten a chance to unbox and properly demo my new Maxwells). Putting the radon 6 through the paces and I'm still firmly convinced this thing is king for acoustic only tracks.

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #67,148 of 91,340
The past few weeks have been a whirlwind between health issues and my kiddo having night terrors, but I finally got some listening time in this morning (still haven't even gotten a chance to unbox and properly demo my new Maxwells). Putting the radon 6 through the paces and I'm still firmly convinced this thing is king for acoustic only tracks.

@CodenameBK201, I hope you're both feeling better!

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #67,149 of 91,340

Gws and speedy recovery to both of you 🙏

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #67,150 of 91,340
Fair enough. FWIW Storm is not all BA-- it has e-stats up top. That said for my preferneces if I was going for an IEM without a DD I would be focused more on romantic and seductive mids than bass, which is why I named Phonix LE, Traillii and Amber Pearl in an earlier post. Those would be my picks for best mids at the ultra $$ bracket. They all have great bass too for what that's worth-- and this is coming from a DD devotee.

There is a band I have not thought about in a long time. I was all over this in 1997.

The new Bonneville is exactly that.

+1 . EXT too.

We just hashed this out a few days ago somewhat. Neither is "inherently better" in an absolute sense, however each has different and unique strengths over the other that stem from the nature of the drivers themselves. In a word, BAs as a rule are more articulating and technical, DDs are more visceral and natural sounding. I haven't yet been satisfied by BA bass either in the long term, which is the only reason I haven’t snagged a used bird or Phonix yet.

We think quite alike when it comes to IEMs. I think we absolutely need that bass to be able to enjoy the music.

I think Suntonic is quite clear about their sound philosophy on Storm. It was aimed at reproducing a Monitor sound. It is safe to assume that the mids of storm would be anything romantic. Everytime I read about people saying that they found the mids to be a bit dry, it was surprising because this was already made clear by the manufacturer.

I consider Storm a collector's item rather than anything else. Everything about it is intriguing to me as an Audiophile.

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #67,151 of 91,340
We think quite alike when it comes to IEMs. I think we absolutely need that bass to be able to enjoy the music.

Indeed sir. Admittedly part of it for me is that a most of my listening is done on the go and thicker/heavier bass helps it not get drowned out by ambient noise. There is also the fact that I listened to the Shure SE215 as my one and only for literally years early on and I think that climatized me to DD sound fairly well. I remember going from the 215 to the Campfire Comet (single BA) and the bass sounded all sorts of wrong, though at the time I did not really understand what it was.

I think Suntonic is quite clear about their sound philosophy on Storm. It was aimed at reproducing a Monitor sound. It is safe to assume that the mids of storm would be anything romantic. Everytime I read about people saying that they found the mids to be a bit dry, it was surprising because this was already made clear by the manufacturer.

Indeed. In fact I think Storm is an acronym which stands for Subtonic Opus Reference Monitor or something. It was conceived as the ultimate monitor/reference IEM. On that front I think they succeeded marvelously. This was the long awaited IEM to knock the u12t (the IEM which for years held the "reference IEM" crown) off its perch and I'm not surprised to see so many folks who rate that IEM also flock to the Storm. However in practical terms for myself it means the mids are a little too dry for my tastes which is the main reason Storm is outside the purview of my tastes. I have no trouble acknowledging it for the triumph it is on its own terms, however.

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #67,152 of 91,340
Great to hear you guys are enjoying the pairing. Been running in Raph and enjoying with RN6, oddly less so with XE6 – could have been my source or my sinuses xD
I haven't tried Raph with Xe6 but I'm quite smitten with Xe6 on Fusion1...another cable I'll be reviewing soon. I've also got Code23 to pair it with, and while I like C23 +Xe6, there's something about Fusion1 that trims the flab off Xe6's signature while still keeping intact it's warmth and smoothness. It's visual candy too fwiw.

PSX_20231017_163910.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #67,153 of 91,340
My UM Mest Mk3 customs were collected from Jaben Singapore today. Spent the latter part of the afternoon enjoying them. :)

IMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_0218.jpeg

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #67,154 of 91,340
Indeed sir. Admittedly part of it for me is that a most of my listening is done on the go and thicker/heavier bass helps it not get drowned out by ambient noise. There is also the fact that I listened to the Shure SE215 as my one and only for literally years early on and I think that climatized me to DD sound fairly well. I remember going from the 215 to the Campfire Comet (single BA) and the bass sounded all sorts of wrong, though at the time I did not really understand what it was.

Indeed. In fact I think Storm is an acronym which stands for Subtonic Opus Reference Monitor or something. It was conceived as the ultimate monitor/reference IEM. On that front I think they succeeded marvelously. This was the long awaited IEM to knock the u12t (the IEM which for years held the "reference IEM" crown) off its perch and I'm not surprised to see so many folks who rate that IEM also flock to the Storm. However in practical terms for myself it means the mids are a little too dry for my tastes which is the main reason Storm is outside the purview of my tastes. I have no trouble acknowledging it for the triumph it is on its own terms, however.
So in your opinion is it safer to pick the bird if I want a more balanced tuning than the Storm then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back