The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #65,446 of 89,375
CanJam Dallas flight booked because I’m too lazy to drive there by myself (I-45 is an incredibly boring interstate).

I figured with this one looking like it’ll be smaller it might be a nice way to demo a bunch of stuff in a more relaxed environment.

I’m looking forward to experiencing my first CanJam and I have friends & family in the city also which will give me something to do at night. 🍺 🍹

I’ll take care of NYC ‘24 towards the end of the year :beerchug:

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #65,447 of 89,375
If obsessed with sound involves listening to a song, closing your eyes, and being able to visualize the performer because it sounds so realistic, then I am guilty of being obsessed.

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #65,449 of 89,375
Yep, all BA. The tuning didn't suit the BA presentation imho. Hopefully I can publish more detailed CanJam report later today.

Looking forward to reading it.

In other news though my tone can be a little flippant at times (sorry for that) I don’t in in any way think balanced armatures are objectively bad or anything, they just have different strengths which imho are most pronounced in the low end. Both can deliver summit fi performance…where one gravitates will be a question of personal taste. That said I do find it disingenuous and more than a little insulting to suggest that those of us who profess to notice a difference in BA vs. DD timbre are simply hearing things.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #65,450 of 89,375
IMG_9299.jpeg

Waiting at the airport departure gate. It was an action packed show. Re-collecting my thoughts. This time around I demoed less and spent more time on products on my short list.

IMG_9276.jpeg

One of those items was Subtonic storm. 465 was the best I've heard it with which gave it a muscular body to notes.

I liked it off 475 / RS8. @Chang allowed me to hear it again this morning:

IMG_9277.jpeg

DHC Chimera Mini, Yatono 8W, Nightjar Symphony

I liked all three eaching giving it a different flavour. These "fixes" what I didn't like about the Mira 4: smaller stage, sharp treble.

Nightjar Symphony having the lushest mids (but not overly so) while being technical and having a grand stage. It has a romantic and glaussian blur to the sound sound sounding hifi.

DHC Chimmy Mini - Adds dynamics, bass punch. Most treble extension out of the three but also within realms of tolerance. Leanest tonality (comparitively) but in general maintains the sig and tightens transients.

Yatono 8W - Warmth was in between Chimmy and Symphony. Compared to Mira, gives a bigger stage but a more intimate presentation vs Chimmy / Symphony.

IMG_9288.jpeg

DHC Chimmy Mini, Symphony IC, Yatono Ultimate Mini, Orphy IC

I spent around 20 minutes with these ICs. It had a much smaller difference vs iem cables. Orphy IC had a slightly more of a rounded sound vs Yatono IC. Happy with my Yatono but if I were to add another one I would add the DHC which diversified the sound more than Symphony and Orphy.

Boarding soon. Going to organize my show impressions during the flight.

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #65,451 of 89,375
IMG_9299.jpeg

Waiting at the airport departure gate. It was an action packed show. Re-collecting my thoughts. This time around I demoed less and spent more time on products on my short list.

IMG_9276.jpeg

One of those items was Subtonic storm. 465 was the best I've heard it with which gave it a muscular body to notes.

I liked it off 475 / RS8. @Chang allowed me to hear it again this morning:

IMG_9277.jpeg
DHC Chimera Mini, Yatono 8W, Nightjar Symphony

I liked all three eaching giving it a different flavour. These "fixes" what I didn't like about the Mira 4: smaller stage, sharp treble.

Nightjar Symphony having the lushest mids (but not overly so) while being technical and having a grand stage. It has a romantic and glaussian blur to the sound sound sounding hifi.

DHC Chimmy Mini - Adds dynamics, bass punch. Most treble extension out of the three but also within realms of tolerance. Leanest tonality (comparitively) but in general maintains the sig and tightens transients.

Yatono 8W - Warmth was in between Chimmy and Symphony. Compared to Mira, gives a bigger stage but a more intimate presentation vs Chimmy / Symphony.

IMG_9288.jpeg
DHC Chimmy Mini, Symphony IC, Yatono Ultimate Mini, Orphy IC

I spent around 20 minutes with these ICs. It had a much smaller difference vs iem cables. Orphy IC had a slightly more of a rounded sound vs Yatono IC. Happy with my Yatono but if I were to add another one I would add the DHC which diversified the sound more than Symphony and Orphy.

Boarding soon. Going to organize my show impressions during the flight.
Thanks for the impressions!

What are you feelings on the manageability of the Nightjar Symphony? As I understand it, it’s quite a thick/heavy cable so I wanted to ask.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #65,452 of 89,375
Thanks for the impressions!

What are you feelings on the manageability of the Nightjar Symphony? As I understand it, it’s quite a thick/heavy cable so I wanted to ask.

I might be the wrong person to ask because my tolerances are higher. I find the weight to be ok for the amount of size it has and also better on the ear (hooks) vs Chimera Mini.

IMG_9282.jpeg

Because it is a thick cable, it holds some shape though.

Wearability from easiest to hardest: Symphony > Yatono 8W => Orphy > Chimmy

Taking off now. Peace out California ✌

9EF19CB5-DB4A-4CE1-9BA5-F0E81312D017.jpeg

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #65,453 of 89,375
Picking this up here because I don't want to derail the CJ impressions thread.

I think all of us are "obsessed with sound" to some degree, otherwise we'd all be perfectly content with a cheap AM radio to listen to our music.
Yup, count me in, I’m also obsessed with sound :wink:

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #65,454 of 89,375
Definitely its own thing. Bonneville is straight up conventionally awesome and I suspect will have a much broader appeal than Trifecta for that reason. I'm balls deep in a googly eyed honeymoon with Bonneville at this moment so it will probably be some time before I can be properly objective when it comes to comparing the two. I will say that DMP-Z1 + Trifecta left a firm impression on my mind and heart that will not easily be surpassed in sheer grandeur.
Does it compare at all to any other campfire releases? Trying to get a point of comparison on whether it's sort of a Solaris, but with bass, or something else. Campfire really has been pretty light on actual info about the sound itself on this latest round of releases.

Also, how are those new shells they are going for? Seems like they are very much targeting a custom uni type of fit, but it's really hard to get any sense of how they might actually be. They look like they could go either way on comfort. Also how's the build quality? Campfire definitely seems to be moving away from so called high end materials. On the one hand, seems cheaper, but if it keeps price and weight down, probably not a bad thing.

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #65,456 of 89,375
Oct 2, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #65,457 of 89,375
Does it compare at all to any other campfire releases? Trying to get a point of comparison on whether it's sort of a Solaris, but with bass, or something else. Campfire really has been pretty light on actual info about the sound itself on this latest round of releases.

Also, how are those new shells they are going for? Seems like they are very much targeting a custom uni type of fit, but it's really hard to get any sense of how they might actually be. They look like they could go either way on comfort. Also how's the build quality? Campfire definitely seems to be moving away from so called high end materials. On the one hand, seems cheaper, but if it keeps price and weight down, probably not a bad thing.
As you go up in the stack of the new lineup it gets closer and closer to custom fit as far as insertion. I can't say either way on comfort as my ears don't suit universals, but they go *deep* once you get to the Bonneville. Build quality feels extremely good to be honest, they look to be manufactured much the same as their customs and feel quite solid.

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #65,458 of 89,375
A lot has been said about the amazing Canjam in Socal, so I won't retread the same material.

BUT, I want to give a very special "thanks" to the hard workers of both @MusicTeck and Bloom Audio!! Between these two amazing vendors, you were able to try pretty much everything! And they were not only helpful, but also happy and enjoying everything going on!!! They were also the inside sources on what people were saying about what they had to demo. I won't name who or where, but I actually heard salespeople being honest, as they are just as invested in finding the best fit you as you are. They can process your likes and make amazing suggestions!

As for me, I must thank Andrew from MusicTeck and Matthew from Bloom for being right there with me while I was in the thick of it!!! You guys are awesome and a credit to the industry and hobby!

Guys, you have to hit a canjam! These awesome folks will let you sit all day if you want switching iems, daps, and cables to your hearts desire!

Here's a shot of @Natesdailies dailies trying the new Fir Audio e12 single DD at Bloom with the always helpful Matthew making sure everyone is taken care of!
20231001_160258.jpg

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #65,459 of 89,375
Top 5 new to me at show, no order:

1) Fir Electron 12
2) Campfire Bonneville
3) Unique Melody Amber Pearl
4) Oriolus Manachaa
5) Vision Ears 10
Thanks for capturing the show so so vividly. Those impressions are gold. I don’t think I missed much, lol.

If at all you had to order these 4 iems (excluding the Amber Pearl which is well out of the league) how will you put them in order of your preference?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #65,460 of 89,375
Thanks for capturing the show so so vividly. Those impressions are gold. I don’t think I missed much, lol.

If at all you had to order these 4 iems (excluding the Amber Pearl which is well out of the league) how will you put them in order of your preference?

I'm honestly not sure as I'd have to spend actual time with each beyond the confines of a show scenario to really get to the bottom of where I stand with all of them. It often happens that I don't fully connect with something at a show then at some later junction it totally wins me over. Classic case of this for me was Annihilator. I hated it last year in SoCal but I bought one on a lark a few weeks after the show and fell in love with it.

That said in terms of where my heart is at right this instant....

1) Bonneville
2) VEX
3) Electron 12
4) Monachaa

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back