The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 25, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #64,966 of 88,549
Had the pleasure of attending a small-scale event hosted in SG by AV One and Effect Audio for the Aura IEM and Chiron: Nova cable (courtesy of my friend). This is the first audiophile event that I have attended and I would say I really like the overall atmosphere. The service staff there was nice and friendly, and the whole atmosphere was just very chill in general. The Aura sounded amazing to me and the packaging is absolutely gorgeous (never seen such a huge ass box for an IEM). Managed to get my hands on both the cable and IEM to try out, and personally speaking (just my 2 cents, I'm still new so no hate plz), I think the Chiron: Nova is a really good match for the Aura. The overall aesthetic is also a very good match as well. The pic I took didn't have the Aura inside cause it was being used.
photo_2023-09-25 13.57.18.jpeg

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #64,967 of 88,549
Hi friends. Been awhile, my account was even deactivated due to inactivity 😂
Maybe about 2 years late but have an EXT on the way.

Looking for a DAP to pair this with. Also a note: tried the EXT with an AK SP3000 and kind of hated the combo. Much preferred the Questyle M15 dongle on my phone over it so I guess I prefer a less technical sound?

I remember not ever liking how any of the iBasso/Fiio daps sounded.

If I’m mot wrong, I’ve read that EXT is very sensitive to cables/source and scales pretty well with power. Also open to some amp suggestions if it come down to that though I rather not stack. I have of narrowed it down to the following:

Cayin N7 (expensive)
Hiby RS6 (good contender)
Hiby R6ii (looks like power might be low though I’ve read it’s a non-issue)
Hiby R5ii (Android version is a little old, might wait for a “R5iii”)
Sony daps (Read that UI is kinda slow & volume cap)

Here are some rough criteria:

Pocketable (Hiby R8 was way too big for my liking)
Android (newer versions, preferably 12)
Balanced 4.4 (I think 90% of daps have this now?)
Fast UI
No lag on audio vs video when used on desktop mode* (Ive noticed this an issue even on R8, if this is present on everything then ignore this)
I agree with @Damz87 the M9 pairs really well with EXT, I can’t talk for the + variant though. I would also vouch for the N7 as well but it is a very specific type of sound, quite rounded and tangible focusing on soundstage elements and naturalness. The M9 combo will undoubtedly be the more universally acceptable pairing

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #64,968 of 88,549

Looking for a DAP to pair this with. Also a note: tried the EXT with an AK SP3000 and kind of hated the combo. Much preferred the Questyle M15 dongle on my phone over it so I guess I prefer a less technical sound?

If I’m mot wrong, I’ve read that EXT is very sensitive to cables/source and scales pretty well with power. Also open to some amp suggestions if it come down to that though I rather not stack. I have of narrowed it down to the following:

Cayin N7 (expensive)

Fast UI
No lag on audio vs video when used on desktop mode* (Ive noticed this an issue even on R8, if this is present on everything then ignore this)
There is also AK SE300 (R2R). I personally have hard time deciding between Hiby RS6 and AK SE300.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #64,969 of 88,549

Cayin N7 (expensive)

Fast UI
Get the R6 Pro II, well at least they look like they are made for each other! Plus its not overly expensive man

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #64,970 of 88,549
Pocketable
Like Damz said, Shanling M9+ is the lightest totl dap at the moment and it sounds outstanding too.
For my taste, it’s as good as DX320MAX (assuming you only use it to drive iem) but with slightly diff sound signature.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #64,974 of 88,549
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I really can't get over AK's house sound, too thin for my taste, same goes to iBasso.

Seems to have narrowed down to:

M9/M9+
RS6/R6P2
Can't say for RS6/R6P2 but M9 Plus gets a seriously hard vouch for slight warmth and weight, musicality while maintain excellent technicals and driving power. M9 OG doesn't quite sound like the regular Shanling stuff and is more or less similar to A&K so you might find that a bit lean too.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #64,975 of 88,549
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I really can't get over AK's house sound, too thin for my taste, same goes to iBasso.
Yeah, i couldnt gel with their prev SP2k and SP3k. Too dry for my taste. Sold them relatively quick.

Ibasso dx320 max isnt thin though. Its quite the opposite.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #64,976 of 88,549
Still listening to N30LE + Amber Pearl for hours.
I have many mixed feelings.
Will write them down when I have a chance.

IMG_4378.jpeg

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #64,979 of 88,549
Yeah, i couldnt gel with their prev SP2k and SP3k. Too dry for my taste. Sold them relatively quick.

Ibasso dx320 max isnt thin though. Its quite the opposite.
Agree, I’m a huge fan of dx320max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back