The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 25, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #64,981 of 88,552
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I really can't get over AK's house sound, too thin for my taste, same goes to iBasso.

Seems to have narrowed down to:

M9/M9+
RS6/R6P2
R6P2 is a fantastic sounding DAP.

I’ve noticed that the audio lags a little behind when watching movies on it in USB DAC mode from my MacBook Pro.

I didn’t have the same problem when using my RS6 in USB DAC mode. The R6P2 UI is a little sluggish compared to my RS6 as well.

Not saying RS6 is a better DAP or anything like that. The two DAPs have different architectures and a very different sound overall. I just remember seeing the audio/video lag as one of your criteria so I wanted to mention this.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #64,983 of 88,552
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I really can't get over AK's house sound, too thin for my taste, same goes to iBasso.

Seems to have narrowed down to:

M9/M9+
RS6/R6P2
Dx320 is really good dap. The software is quite well implemented on it. I never had a sluggish ui moment on it. I cannot say the same about M9/M9+ with same confidence. Soundwise, the DX320 is quite good. A lot of people love it’s bass. I don’t think it’s thin by any means.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #64,984 of 88,552
I have the M9 (not the +) and it’s still one of my favorite DAPs. I have zero complaints about the UI, in fact it’s probably one of the fastest of my collection. I love the quality of the screen, the colors are so vivid. And of course it sounds great too. :)

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #64,985 of 88,552
Still listening to N30LE + Amber Pearl for hours.
I have many mixed feelings.
Will write them down when I have a chance.

IMG_4378.jpeg
Oh gawd why was I expecting something like this

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #64,986 of 88,552
RS6 is a warmer source that I enjoy. It does have a more intimate staging and a tamer treble compared to most DAPs however.
Exactly what I love about the RS6.. Such an underestimated beauty of a DAP

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #64,987 of 88,552
Exactly what I love about the RS6.. Such an underestimated beauty of a DAP
Oh, I wasn't aware it was underestimated, but it's a joy to listen to. Currently listening to RS6 + Crimson which is a treat.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #64,988 of 88,552
Upcoming IEM from 64audio. Sorry for low res picture. The faceplate is fabulous 😍
2 DD with isobaric design + 8 BA
Will be interesting to see how they price this. If it slots it in around ~$2k it may very well be worth a look. I fear it'll be much higher, though. I still love the Nio even if they are nowhere near boundary pushing by today's standards. I'm fine with them sticking with the traditional 64A UIEM shell geometry too. Seems to be a fairly agreeable shell shape / size for most ears. Really like the matte black shell + purple/blue nebula type faceplate.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #64,989 of 88,552
Will be interesting to see how they price this. If it slots it in around ~$2k it may very well be worth a look. I fear it'll be much higher, though. I still love the Nio even if they are nowhere near boundary pushing by today's standards. I'm fine with them sticking with the traditional 64A UIEM shell geometry too. Seems to be a fairly agreeable shell shape / size for most ears. Really like the matte black shell + purple/blue nebula type faceplate.
Last time my dealer said the price range is below $3k, but I don't know where did they get that info.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #64,990 of 88,552
Thanks for all all the comments on the daps again guys.

If anyone has and EXT & any of these daps would you kindly help me have a listen with this song:

I basically use this song (1:05 - 1:23) to judge how well a dap/iems can handle everything.
Essentially I measure by how well I am able to pick out every instrument/vocals and be able to focus on it without having other parts distract me if that makes sense lol.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #64,991 of 88,552
Last time my dealer said the price range is below $3k, but I don't know where did they get that info.
Moondrop Dark Saber has pretty much the exact same driver config and is 800$

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #64,992 of 88,552
I have the TW3 and XM5. Out of the box tuning of TW3 is excellent. But... It stopped charging 7-8 months after I bought it. I took it back to the shop and received a brand new one. I asked if this happens often and was told that it happens a lot with wireless IEMs - and mostly with Apple devices.

XM5 also sounds great after an EQ adjustment. What I also like about it is that it can sustain two connections, so you can use it with your computer, then switch to your mobile phone when you receive a call. Battery life is also great.

Oh, I've never heard about this. Only my personal experience but I still have my original pair of AirPods from early 2017 that I heavily used until purchase of APP in late 2019, the later only used for sports since I got APP2 last year. All 3 work without problems.

The only problem I had was with APP original from 2019. They sometimes wouldn't connect with both sides. Apple replaced them immediately in the store after 6 months of use or so.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #64,994 of 88,552
Same driver config but no TIA driver and different DD design on the dark saber.
I guess it'll ultimately come down to tuning and techs/performance. Very curious about both. I think it's premature to pit them head to head.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #64,995 of 88,552
Moondrop Dark Saber has pretty much the exact same driver config and is 800$
Same driver config but no TIA driver and different DD design on the dark saber.
You also have the ability to vary the amount of passive isolation (effectively changing the bass response) with the 64 Audio IEM using the APEX module system. Not something you can do with the Dark Saber.

Driver configs are similar but not quite apples to apples when you compare the tech between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back