The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 18, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #64,636 of 91,358
Must be a typo on FB, because it shows HK$388000 :wink:

"My cable is more expensive than the dCS Vivaldi Apex and I am going to roll it with my Moondrop Chu."

That typo was legitimately scary. The scarier part is that someone will buy it.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #64,637 of 91,358
Interesting tuning but I'll have to end my cable collection journey. Already have OrphyS, OTL, and 8 wire Chiron with me, so I guess that's enough for me. Too much price drop when I want to resell my cable, so I think it's better to spend on new IEM instead.
Don't quote me on this, I need more time to listen to note down impressions.

Meanwhile here's the ChatGPT translation of the official description:

"Here's the translation to English:

Is there a difference in sound between Orpheus and Orpheus Lite⁉️

The biggest difference between the two is that the mid-high frequency in Orpheus Lite is more ethereal and lively, with greater detail and a clearer sense of contour. This aspect is indeed a significant improvement over the original Orpheus. While the mid-high frequencies are better, does it mean that the mid-low frequencies are worse? This is where Orpheus Lite gets tricky. Don't forget... it's still called Orpheus, and it still maintains the consistent solid and stable quality of the original Orpheus sound. However, when you listen to it, it's noticeably more cohesive and powerful, hitting more directly. In the end, I'll just quote what Peter said: "There's really no need to rush to switch (because there are only 20 units available in the exchange program in Hong Kong)... It's better to personally visit a store to have a listen (I advise you... be mentally prepared that you might end up spending money if you decide to try it)."

Note: The translation provides the general gist of the original content. Some nuances or cultural references might be slightly adjusted for better comprehension in English."

ChatGPT got the translation mostly right except for some cultural references part in the "tricky" sentence....that part means something along the lines of "That's where you get into a love-hate relationship with the Lite because the bass section is disgustingly similar to the Orphy despite the treble differences".

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #64,639 of 91,358
A cable with Orpheus lows and mids with slightly more highs honestly sounds perfect 🌚
That might be why they are describing it that way :)

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #64,640 of 91,358
A cable with Orpheus lows and mids with slightly more highs honestly sounds perfect 🌚
I dunno, my immediate impression was "wow, it sounds very nice and modern, but it doesn't sound like the Orphy at all, why the Lite name tag? Definitely not as analog sounding."

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #64,642 of 91,358
I dunno, my immediate impression was "wow, it sounds very nice and modern, but it doesn't sound like the Orphy at all, why the Lite name tag? Definitely not as analog sounding."
It wouldn't with all that extra treble. Orphy = warm = analogue.

Sep 18, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #64,644 of 91,358
My top 5 Bass iems
1. IMR acoustics Titan
2. Acoustune HS1655CU
3.Ikko OH5 ASGARD
4.Fiio FH9
5. DUNU Zen
Budget king the Venture Electronics SiE has a soft spot in my heart too

Sep 18, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #64,645 of 91,358
Then the sound. The first moment I plugged in the Cent I was surprised that the differences between the two of them aren’t as far apart as I had imagined. Having owned the Code 51 for a while I can say that the Cent is definitely the same blood line, but mixing in some of the Horus X type of high end and a whole step up in just about everything. It’s very dynamic and very powerful sounding, something I was not expecting. I had in my mind some kind of delicate sound, for whatever reason, and instead I was greeted with a thunderous approach to my music library. It’s fast, articulate, and thick enough to satisfy most. The bass quantity is very neutral but there is tons of rumble, impact, texture and control. The bass really has this tight spanky feeling to it, and growls when called for. Orphy is more mid bass oriented, Cent is even all the way down, with less quantity. Orpheus bass is killer, fast and fat, very analog and with tons of control. It has more control perhaps by a hair, it’s just so well focused and presented. I think for my preferences the Orphy has the Cent beat here, but I do like a bit more thump.

Somebody please send this man a Chiron and FTS, I would love to hear your impressions of these 2 especially since we both have Jewel and I'm in the market for a cable for it. Tokpakorio is now the official head fi cable review master, there can be only one. Orpheus lite may fit the bill perfectly my friend. Thank you for the hard work!!!

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #64,646 of 91,358
Somebody please send this man a Chiron and FTS, I would love to hear your impressions of these 2 especially since we both have Jewel and I'm in the market for a cable for it. Tokpakorio is now the official head fi cable review master, there can be only one. Orpheus lite may fit the bill perfectly my friend. Thank you for the hard work!!!
Yep, I'm thinking the same thing :)

There are of course other cable guru, but Tok is really very special in his way, I think.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #64,647 of 91,358
Second Rehabilitation Test is done!

Finding the best source for Butastur.

Meet the contestants, from left to right: Penon Tail, Fiio BTR7, Venture Electronics Megatron.
20230913_105410.jpg

Night Oblivion Butastur is a highly sensitive IEM meaning that it responds to every part of the equation very transparently. Understanding the differences between the three contestants was thus even easier than with AüR Audio Aurora.

I used the same tunes as with AüR Audio Aurora, so please revisit that post if you want to see those.
I used a different approach this time. Below are the categories and how the three sources compare.

Bass quantity: This one goes to Tail (going forward presented as 'T') ahead of BTR7 ('B') and then Megatron ('M'). T seemingly boosts lows the most.

Bass extension: T reaches the lowest, but at a cost which is reflected in following categories. B comes 2nd, M 3rd.

Bass texture: B wins, then M, last is T which is overly fake sounding due to the bass boost.

Midbass punch: M is slightly more punchy than B and that a bit more than T.

Mid forwardness: M places mids more upfront due to lesser bass and treble presence. 2nd B, 3rd T.

Mids resolution: B takes this one with an overall most convincing resolution capability, 2nd is M, 3rd T.

Vocal naturalness: T somehow manages to present vocals the most naturally to my ears, 2nd is shared between M and B.

Piano timbral accuracy: B does it better than M and T.

Guitar timbral accuracy: B does it the best, but not by much. 2nd would be M, 3rd T.

Brass timbral accuracy: B edges T and last is M. B's digitalish nature allows more bite in the brass presentation.

Note weight: B has noticeably better note weight vs M and last is T.

Treble extension: B extends the most effortlessly, second is T which struggles a bit, and third M which is all about mids.

Treble naturalness: B sounds most precise and without strain, second is T, third M.

Stage dimensions: M sounds a bit more open than B and T struggles especially with depth, so it's very 2D.

Imaging: B images the best, so it's easiest to follow single instruments and find their placement, second is T, last is M despite being the most open.

Detail retrieval: B's ability of presenting details is better than T and that is better than M which hides details.

Dynamics: B does not struggle with quick sound pressure changes, behind is T, last is M.

Warmest to coldest: M sounds the warmest due to lack of treble, second is T which has boosted bass and low mids, coldest is B.

Most analog to most digital: M sounds the most analog or 'musical', T is inbetween, B is technical but still retains musicality.

Overall winner is the Fiio BTR7.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #64,648 of 91,358
There can be more than one
@SteveK27
@Bosk
@gLer
Just to name a few that have put significant time into cable reviews and shared them here.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #64,649 of 91,358
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new IEM, preferably between 400-500 dollas. Would appreciate some reccos or maybe a reliable tier list that I can look at.
If I had that to spend and I looked at my own collection, which contains a few in that range, I would choose the Penon 10th. It's 500, but it plays very confidently with my higher ups.

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #64,650 of 91,358
Rn6 + OrphyS = 🤯

Also, please can you compare Rn6 with RS8 and N30LE (SS only to compare apples with apples).

Quick impressions between RS8 and N30LE in H gain / Class AB / Solid State with RN6 listening to "For Your Love" – Jacob Gurevitsch, Arturo Sandoval:
  • N30LE's – rich sound with weight to notes and instruments, strings have a lovely texture and verberation, there's excellent layering, horns are
  • RS8 – noticeble difference is the sound is thinner – less intimate and rich, notes and instruments have weight though decays faster, strings also have lovely texture and verberation with faster decay
  • Its an intimate track and while both share similar soundstage, N30LE sounds wider in comparison
As much as I love RS8's bass punch, RN6 just hits decisively harder with N30LE.

Both are musical though N30LE adds a richer emotive and engaging quality to the track where RS8 is "neutral" in presentation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back