The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 3, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #57,916 of 88,669

I'm certain many Coolers have just gotten their hands on the Dx320 Max Ti. I've been reading and hearing about this dap for the past few months, which had me viscerally excited as a heartfelt IBasso fan since falling in love with the og Dx320.

With the coming of the Max iteration, I've been observing people purchase left and right within my community - which led me to believe I'll simply end up as a spectator for the next month or two before getting a chance to audition. But as we all know, our community has been blessed with many generous people, which gave me an opportunity to audition one of the most anticipated dap I've had in my bucket list this year.

Dx320 Max Ti First Impression (~15 minutes listening time, 0 hours burn-in) :

A spectacular unit deserves a spectacular review. But I've spent too little time to leave any qualitative review so I jotted down few mental notes during my listening session.

Compared to Rs8 -

*Im sure many are aware of the inherent tonal difference going from delta sigma to r2r*

It's a cleaner and slightly brighter signature with a very "natural" and lush presentation for a delta sigma dac. Not as lush as Rs8, but there's this effortless quality to it that makes it a smooth and engaging listen without smothering any details. This has by far the greatest macro-dynamic transition I've heard from a dap alone with a large contrast of swing moving from one note to another. It has a crisper and more articulate translation of transients than Rs8, with a more bodied and visceral attack especially down low.

Rs8 sounds "lighter" with a more soulful musicality that intoxicates you with an emotive richness.

Dx320 Max Ti also has the largest soundstage I've heard in a dap that spreads out vastly in all direction. Its depth and height is about on par with Rs8, but has a greater horizontal expansion that feels almost cinematic in experience.

Compared to SP3K (strictly based off memory) -

Dx320 Max Ti has a cleaner and more natural presentation, whereas SP3K retains a more vivid and "hifi" signature. If my memory serves me right, SP3K has a darker background and quite unmatched compared to any dap I've come across so far. Soundstage is more expansive and enveloping on the Max Ti.

All these impressions were from right out of the box and I could tell it needed a thorough burn-in and there were coarse and rough edges at the ends of each note.

I'm certain it'll settle for a more mature sound after 100+ hours.

At the current moment, I'd be hard pressed to say this is a direct upgrade from its major competitors due to the difference in tonality. I believe it would be complimentary to those who already own a SP3K or Rs8 as synergy will be key to finding the appropriate pairing for every iem.

This was a fun and wonderful experience that I hoped to share and hopefully more Coolers will chime in to share their impressions as well 🥰

Was considering 320MAX Ti would be complimentary to RS8, 😻 this and thank you for sharing @SteveK27

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #57,917 of 88,669

I'm certain many Coolers have just gotten their hands on the Dx320 Max Ti. I've been reading and hearing about this dap for the past few months, which had me viscerally excited as a heartfelt IBasso fan since falling in love with the og Dx320.

With the coming of the Max iteration, I've been observing people purchase left and right within my community - which led me to believe I'll simply end up as a spectator for the next month or two before getting a chance to audition. But as we all know, our community has been blessed with many generous people, which gave me an opportunity to audition one of the most anticipated dap I've had in my bucket list this year.

Dx320 Max Ti First Impression (~15 minutes listening time, 0 hours burn-in) :

A spectacular unit deserves a spectacular review. But I've spent too little time to leave any qualitative review so I jotted down few mental notes during my listening session.

Compared to Rs8 -

*Im sure many are aware of the inherent tonal difference going from delta sigma to r2r*

It's a cleaner and slightly brighter signature with a very "natural" and lush presentation for a delta sigma dac. Not as lush as Rs8, but there's this effortless quality to it that makes it a smooth and engaging listen without smothering any details. This has by far the greatest macro-dynamic transition I've heard from a dap alone with a large contrast of swing moving from one note to another. It has a crisper and more articulate translation of transients than Rs8, with a more bodied and visceral attack especially down low.

Rs8 sounds "lighter" with a more soulful musicality that intoxicates you with an emotive richness.

Dx320 Max Ti also has the largest soundstage I've heard in a dap that spreads out vastly in all direction. Its depth and height is about on par with Rs8, but has a greater horizontal expansion that feels almost cinematic in experience.

Compared to SP3K (strictly based off memory) -

Dx320 Max Ti has a cleaner and more natural presentation, whereas SP3K retains a more vivid and "hifi" signature. If my memory serves me right, SP3K has a darker background and quite unmatched compared to any dap I've come across so far. Soundstage is more expansive and enveloping on the Max Ti.

All these impressions were from right out of the box and I could tell it needed a thorough burn-in as there were coarse and rough edges at the ends of each note.

I'm certain it'll settle for a more mature sound after 100+ hours.

At the current moment, I'd be hard pressed to say this is a direct upgrade from its major competitors due to the difference in tonality. I believe it would be complimentary to those who already own a SP3K or Rs8 as synergy will be key to finding the appropriate pairing for every iem.

This was a fun and wonderful experience that I hoped to share and hopefully more Coolers will chime in to share their impressions as well 🥰

Curious, which IEM did you use and the Gain and volume setting? I shared some of my early impressions in MAX320 Ti thread, with sensitive iems (Andro, Solaris, Phoenix) had it in Gain I and at 4 volume clicks before it started to get a bit loud. So, I'm curious how others are hearing it. Of course, we all have a different hearing level and some people's volume tolerance threshold is way higher, but I'm still curious.

Only had it on burn-in overnight, will continue for a few days. Indeed, it sounds very good, and different from a brighter, more revealing, tonality of MAX300 SS.

May 3, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #57,918 of 88,669
Only had it on burn-in overnight, will continue for a few days. Indeed, it sounds very good, and different from a brighter, more revealing, tonality of MAX300 SS.
Do you hear 320MAX Ti as brighter that 3MAX SS? I don't find 3MAX bright at all, I'd have thought 320 Ti would be brighter with its RoHM DACs.

May 3, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #57,919 of 88,669
Do you hear 320MAX Ti as brighter that 3MAX SS? I don't find 3MAX bright at all, I'd have thought 320 Ti would be brighter with its RoHM DACs.

Only spent a very short time with it last night, on burn in now while I'm at work. Definitely will check and compare it tonight.

May 3, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #57,920 of 88,669
Oh, man. I was so admired by your collection and addiction ( in a good way of single driver use) 10k is still one of my favorite items and now you are going to drop them, sad day for all DD lovers :) But anyway I'm glad that I've found your post about the final 5000k because I am looking for a set that could be used during summertime and that cost, not an arm and a leg because it could be easily harmed by sand and will be carried without any boxes.
A5000 together with Astell&Kern SR25 Mk2 is getting my to go kit for walks and outdoor activities. It's a nice balanced sound with a good quality bass. Sometimes I miss the air movement of the IE600, but only sometimes :xf_cool:

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #57,921 of 88,669
Curious, which IEM did you use and the Gain and volume setting? I shared some of my early impressions in MAX320 Ti thread, with sensitive iems (Andro, Solaris, Phoenix) had it in Gain I and at 4 volume clicks before it started to get a bit loud. So, I'm curious how others are hearing it. Of course, we all have a different hearing level and some people's volume tolerance threshold is way higher, but I'm still curious.

I've used Viking Ragnar -> Cadmus 8-wire with the attenuator set to Gain II and I unfortunately do not recall where the volume knob was at.

I will say this is by far the most powerful sounding dap I've come across that anything above Gain II was a little too aggressive for comfort. I'm certain it varies based on iems as I could see myself listening to it through Gain I on both Andromeda and Solaris as they are quite sensitive if my memory serves me correctly.

I recall Phoenix being sensitive as well but it's been quite some time since the last time I've had a chance to listen.

I did get to hear the Dx300 Max Ti just few days ago, and the Dx320 Max Ti sounded more "natural" and effortless in presentation. An effortless quality thats almost fleeting in a sense, if it wasn't for its aggressive dynamics that keeps me engaged with the music.

My time on it was short though so I will refrain from speaking too in depth as I don't feel qualified to do so.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #57,922 of 88,669
I've used Viking Ragnar -> Cadmus 8-wire with the attenuator set to Gain II and I unfortunately do not recall where the volume knob was at.

I will say this is by far the most powerful sounding dap I've come across that anything above Gain II was a little too aggressive for comfort. I'm certain it varies based on iems as I could see myself listening to it through Gain I on both Andromeda and Solaris as they are quite sensitive if my memory serves me correctly.

I recall Phoenix being sensitive as well but it's been quite some time since the last time I've had a chance to listen.

I did get to hear the Dx300 Max Ti just few days ago, and the Dx320 Max Ti sounded more "natural" and effortless in presentation. An effortless quality thats almost fleeting in a sense, if it wasn't for its aggressive dynamics that keeps me engaged with the music.

My time on it was short though so I will refrain from speaking too in depth as I don't feel qualified to do so.

Ja in my limited experience with the MAX range and only 3MAX SS and Ti, all the MAXes have powerful Super Class A AMPs. I had to switch to L or M gain for FiRs with volume knob (if 7 o'clock = Zero vol) around 8 o'clock. H gain on RN6 and XE6 was way painfully TOO much, LOL. The most was slightly above 9 o'clock and H gain for UMs and EVO.

And pffft from refraining :hugging:

May 3, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #57,923 of 88,669
What do you think about the Trifecta? What are your impimpressions
Haven't had a chance yet, it's supposed to arrive Monday.

Once I have it in hand I'll probably give it a test run with sp3k and post here.

May 3, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #57,924 of 88,669
Ja in my limited experience with the MAX range and only 3MAX SS and Ti, all the MAXes have powerful Super Class A AMPs. I had to switch to L or M gain for FiRs with volume knob (if 7 o'clock = Zero vol) around 8 o'clock. H gain on RN6 and XE6 was way painfully TOO much, LOL. The most was slightly above 9 o'clock and H gain for UMs and EVO.

And pffft from refraining :hugging:
That's basically why I got the 3Max: desktop-grade power/control/effortlessness with IEMs that benefit from the extra headroom, like Z1R. That the 3Max has a pleasantly smooth tonality and crazy good technicals just sealed the deal.

May 3, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #57,925 of 88,669
Can't recall... is the Singularity going to be a limited edition to something like a couple hundred units? If so, I may have to make sure I get in while the gettin's good...

It isn't going to be limited by any means as far as my knowledge goes.

May 3, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #57,926 of 88,669
I just got back from sitting down with the great guys from Elise Audio where I was fortunate enough to demo (albeit briefly) a bunch of top end IEMs. They had a prototype IEM called the Nightjar Singularity which is impending release from what I understand, its price at a little over £1K+ so its not super-high tier in terms of cost but it really wowed me, at that price it would appear to be an absolute steal.

I got to hear the Far Freq Maestro but that was just a bit too warm for me (and I like warm a lot). Then I heard the Elysium Annihilator 2003 and Fir RN6, both I would happily own in a moment. I also heard the Tanseo Mirai RGB which was another great sounding IEM. I found it hard to split the Anni/RN6/RGB because they are quite similar on a very short listen (a more critical, longer sit-down listen would no doubt make their differences more apparent), unlike the Maestro or XE6 which have a more unique and coloured tuning. The Subtonic Storm was just incredible, but at £4.8K it really should be something special. One day I might sell a kidney for one of these. I got to hear the XE6 also and I expect it will make that my next IEM purchase. I love bass-driven IEMs for the music I listen to in the main, and this is something else in that area, but its also tuned in a way I know I will find addictive to listen to.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #57,927 of 88,669
A little off topic(maybe or maybe not), but I need some advice. I have a PP8 and the left shell has a few cracks. Doesn't affect the sound in anyway and I plan on getting re-shelling done by InEar sometime at a later date when I'm less busy. But till then can I put some kind of adhesive over the cracks to stop anything bad happening to them?
Attaching a pic of the cracked ear piece.
Please advice.
Note: I take proper care of my gear. The shell was cracked before I bought it.
I recently got some UV cured glue, and have been finding many uses for them. For your shell cracks, this should work perfectly. Squeeze some onto the crack, let it settle and smooth out (1-2 mins), shine the UV light on the glue, and it will cure/harden within seconds. The hardened glue is very strong.
(I have a different glue from a local store, not this one from AliExpress, but similar)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005407566069.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.34b87TVM7TVMu4&gps-id=pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.33416.274820.0&scm_id=1007.33416.274820.0&scm-url=1007.33416.274820.0&pvid=67e11ec6-3ac3-4780-b21e-a051be111185&_t=gps-id:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.33416.274820.0,pvid:67e11ec6-3ac3-4780-b21e-a051be111185,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8113#1998&pdp_npi=3@dis!HKD!45.14!20.31!!!!!@2101c5df16831360085948130e916c!12000032936372957!rec!HK!121061319
UV Light Glue Super Glue Fix Adhesives Sealer Glass Metal Plastic Model Data Lines Crack Caulk High Temperature Repair Color: 3068 (10g) x lamp
UV-Light-Glue-Super-Glue-Fix-Adhesives-Sealer-Glass-Metal-Plastic-Model-Data-Lines-Crack-Caulk.jpg_220x220.jpg_.webp
UV-Light-Glue-Super-Glue-Fix-Adhesives-Sealer-Glass-Metal-Plastic-Model-Data-Lines-Crack-Caulk.jpg_220x220.jpg_.webp

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #57,928 of 88,669
I recently got some UV cured glue, and have been finding many uses for them. For your shell cracks, this should work perfectly. Squeeze some onto the crack, let it settle and smooth out (1-2 mins), shine the UV light on the glue, and it will cure/harden within seconds. The hardened glue is very strong.
(I have a different glue from a local store, not this one from AliExpress, but similar)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005407566069.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.34b87TVM7TVMu4&gps-id=pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.33416.274820.0&scm_id=1007.33416.274820.0&scm-url=1007.33416.274820.0&pvid=67e11ec6-3ac3-4780-b21e-a051be111185&_t=gps-id:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.33416.274820.0,pvid:67e11ec6-3ac3-4780-b21e-a051be111185,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8113#1998&pdp_npi=3@dis!HKD!45.14!20.31!!!!!@2101c5df16831360085948130e916c!12000032936372957!rec!HK!121061319
UV Light Glue Super Glue Fix Adhesives Sealer Glass Metal Plastic Model Data Lines Crack Caulk High Temperature Repair Color: 3068 (10g) x lamp
Just be careful with the glue's ingridients, cyanoacrylate melts acrylic and might turn the shell white.

May 3, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #57,929 of 88,669
Just be careful with the glue's ingridients, cyanoacrylate melts acrylic and might turn the shell white.
Good idea to be cautious and try a little first.

Though UV glue is not super glue/cyanoacrylate.

https://www.panacol.com/adhesive-glue/uv-adhesive
UV adhesives are acrylate- or epoxy-based resins which polymerize and thus cure by irradiation with special UV light sources. These uv adhesives are used mainly in industrial settings because they cure in a matter of seconds, allowing a high production output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back