The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 3, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #57,901 of 87,710
which portable amp or dac/amp should i look into from sp3k into mentor & traillii ? which would be the most synergetic given this setup ?
I haven't Mentor and Trailli , but you could try Aroma's A100TB, its synergy with the SP3000 is superlative. Even more impressive when used with its optional PS100 pro power supply

May 3, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #57,902 of 87,710
Couldn't resist a deal in the classifieds, purchased a SP3K Black. This came as a surprise and with M9 Plus coming up as well, HM1K Gold is back up for sale.
You will see that it will give you great satisfaction. DAP really TOTL

May 3, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #57,903 of 87,710
Not anymore, because there are more than five days since I posted my listing on classified and I don't see that option anymore
A-ha!, this is the new security measures taken for the classifieds, you'll need to enable the 2 factor authentication.
If you have already, you'll need to logout and log back in again.
I noticed this on listings I had previous created without 2FA, after I enabled it, the option returned after a re-login.

May 3, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #57,904 of 87,710
I've been lurking the discovery thread. The SR8 seems to be well recieved. This is another iem I want to try to feel grounded and better understand the performance for each price point.

I was a fan of the MSEs massive sound. I would have probably bought one already if it fit me better. I was told that the GM has the same universal fit so I am keeping an eye out for more impressions to roll in. As for the Paw6k, I haven't tried it. Maybe someone else can chime in.

It's been interesting watching your journey as well! The Trifecta and Phonix LE must be special to survive many cullings. Looking forward to hearing those again in Socal.
ฺฺBro, let's do CIEM for MSE =D

May 3, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #57,907 of 87,710
Final A5000 landed, impressions to follow but absolutely follows the theme already set with A3000 and A4000 in that they offer fantastic value. I can already hear @Wolfhawk46 why you rate them so highly. A fantastic lower cost DD that fits the bill in every way as an all-rounder.

I’m going to start reducing my collection as quite a few overlap now for the same genres or type use case. First for the chop and very reluctantly is the FW10000… fantastic but just a bit too niche for me, I’ll reach for Turii Ti ahead of it. On classifieds already if anyone in the EU is interested! Next up is a decision between Eclipse and TZ700, the former looking more likely to go at this point.

IMG_3917.jpeg

IMG_3903.jpeg
Oh, man. I was so admired by your collection and addiction ( in a good way of single driver use) 10k is still one of my favorite items and now you are going to drop them, sad day for all DD lovers :) But anyway I'm glad that I've found your post about the final 5000k because I am looking for a set that could be used during summertime and that cost, not an arm and a leg because it could be easily harmed by sand and will be carried without any boxes.

May 3, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #57,909 of 87,710
That's why I said it. The only resemblance between those 2 earphones is precisely that, both are earphones, and both are IEMs.
For the rest, its sound is completely different as indicated by its graphs. That they are similar up to 600 Hz does not indicate that their sound will be the least bit similar.

Oh, of course I hear those frequencies. 😂

But what I assure you is that I do not have a low pass filter in my ears that limits the frequencies that I hear in the 600 Hz, which is as far as only those graphs are similar.

From 600 Hz the graphics are completely different, and I don't need to know much about frequency response, graphics or equalization to know that these headphones sound completely different. And that much smaller differences than those shown in those graphs already make the sound differ like night and day.

It does not matter that a lot of sound information is contained between 0 and 600 Hz, I assure you that small differences in the rest of the spectrum make the ear perceive all those frequencies in a completely different way. And these graphs don't show "small differences", there are changes of many dBs in many important areas (like ear gain for example).
I know, thus the laughy face 😉

May 3, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #57,910 of 87,710
These are cool, but you can find around 10 different versions, none of which agree with each other. I've always wondered why that is. Quick example: EQ Sheet.png
It would help if the charts actually compared the same instruments, which for the most part between this pair, they don't. It's also very difficult to read the x axis in both cases because it's arranged to piano keys rather than properly labeled plot delineations.

That said, a quick check of the tuba and trumpet primary range (2nd plot shows harmonics too) shows very close alignment.

If you are interested in a specific instrument I am sure a quick Google search will reveal it's exact frequency range, nothing esoteric particularly inconsistent about it...

May 3, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #57,911 of 87,710
It would help if the charts actually compared the same instruments, which for the most part between this pair, they don't. It's also very difficult to read the x axis in both cases because it's arranged to piano keys rather than properly labeled plot delineations.

That said, a quick check of the tuba and trumpet primary range (2nd plot shows harmonics too) shows very close alignment.

If you are interested in a specific instrument I am sure a quick Google search will reveal it's exact frequency range, nothing esoteric particularly inconsistent about it...
Honestly? I've found different sources disagree still on that - for instance, I've found that sibilance lives in the 3.5k range, while other sources say it lives around 7.5k. No idea which is true since I've heard sibilance in both of those ranges on IEMs that have dips there. As always, charts aren't the end all and everyone hears differently - blah blah blah.

May 3, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #57,912 of 87,710
Honestly? I've found different sources disagree still on that - for instance, I've found that sibilance lives in the 3.5k range, while other sources say it lives around 7.5k. No idea which is true since I've heard sibilance in both of those ranges on IEMs that have dips there. As always, charts aren't the end all and everyone hears differently - blah blah blah.
Sibilance is a secondary perceived quantity and will vary depending on the source spectrum. That range will generally but not necessarily align with 'harmonic' regions of the instrument in question. For instance, for male vocals sibilance can indeed crop up pretty low (3.5 k seems low to me, but maybe you listen to a good amount male baritone!), I believe the 'Google' consensus would be 3-8 kHz to include both women and men (they differ substantially).

Your sensitive frequency range is maybe a bit lower than typical but it's certainly not contradictory to public data on the subject, plotted or otherwise.

May 3, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #57,913 of 87,710
Hi folks.

I just published my review on the ISN EST50. This is a tribrid with 1 DD 2BAs and 2 ESTs, its a L-shaped IEM with addictive and fun bass.
Been very long in the making, had almost finished the review many months ago. After spring arriving taking all the snow away I got some more energy to finish it.

Anyways enjoy and please read if your interested, cheers.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-est50.25254/review/30730/

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #57,914 of 87,710
20230503_200140.jpg

I'm certain many Coolers have just gotten their hands on the Dx320 Max Ti. I've been reading and hearing about this dap for the past few months, which had me viscerally excited as a heartfelt IBasso fan since falling in love with the og Dx320.

With the coming of the Max iteration, I've been observing people purchase left and right within my community - which led me to believe I'll simply end up as a spectator for the next month or two before getting a chance to audition. But as we all know, our community has been blessed with many generous people, which gave me an opportunity to audition one of the most anticipated dap I've had in my bucket list this year.

Dx320 Max Ti First Impression (~15 minutes listening time, 0 hours burn-in) :

A spectacular unit deserves a spectacular review. But I've spent too little time to leave any qualitative review so I jotted down few mental notes during my listening session.

Compared to Rs8 -

*Im sure many are aware of the inherent tonal difference going from delta sigma to r2r*

It's a cleaner and slightly brighter signature with a very "natural" and lush presentation for a delta sigma dac. Not as lush as Rs8, but there's this effortless quality to it that makes it a smooth and engaging listen without smothering any details. This has by far the greatest macro-dynamic transition I've heard from a dap alone with a large contrast of swing moving from one note to another. It has a crisper and more articulate translation of transients than Rs8, with a more bodied and visceral attack especially down low.

Rs8 sounds "lighter" with a more soulful musicality that intoxicates you with an emotive richness.

Dx320 Max Ti also has the largest soundstage I've heard in a dap that spreads out vastly in all direction. Its depth and height is about on par with Rs8, but has a greater horizontal expansion that feels almost cinematic in experience.

Compared to SP3K (strictly based off memory) -

Dx320 Max Ti has a cleaner and more natural presentation, whereas SP3K retains a more vivid and "hifi" signature. If my memory serves me right, SP3K has a darker background and quite unmatched compared to any dap I've come across so far. Soundstage is more expansive and enveloping on the Max Ti.

All these impressions were from right out of the box and I could tell it needed a thorough burn-in as there were coarse and rough edges at the ends of each note.

I'm certain it'll settle for a more mature sound after 100+ hours.

At the current moment, I'd be hard pressed to say this is a direct upgrade from its major competitors due to the difference in tonality. I believe it would be complimentary to those who already own a SP3K or Rs8 as synergy will be key to finding the appropriate pairing for every iem.

This was a fun and wonderful experience that I hoped to share and hopefully more Coolers will chime in to share their impressions as well 🥰

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #57,915 of 87,710
20230503_200140.jpg

I'm certain many Coolers have just gotten their hands on the Dx320 Max Ti. I've been reading and hearing about this dap for the past few months, which had me viscerally excited as a heartfelt IBasso fan since falling in love with the og Dx320.

With the coming of the Max iteration, I've been observing people purchase left and right within my community - which led me to believe I'll simply end up as a spectator for the next month or two before getting a chance to audition. But as we all know, our community has been blessed with many generous people, which gave me an opportunity to audition one of the most anticipated dap I've had in my bucket list this year.

Dx320 Max Ti First Impression (~15 minutes listening time, 0 hours burn-in) :

A spectacular unit deserves a spectacular review. But I've spent too little time to leave any qualitative review so I jotted down few mental notes during my listening session.

Compared to Rs8 -

*Im sure many are aware of the inherent tonal difference going from delta sigma to r2r*

It's a cleaner and slightly brighter signature with a very "natural" and lush presentation for a delta sigma dac. Not as lush as Rs8, but there's this effortless quality to it that makes it a smooth and engaging listen without smothering any details. This has by far the greatest macro-dynamic transition I've heard from a dap alone with a large contrast of swing moving from one note to another. It has a crisper and more articulate translation of transients than Rs8, with a more bodied and visceral attack especially down low.

Rs8 sounds "lighter" with a more soulful musicality that intoxicates you with an emotive richness.

Dx320 Max Ti also has the largest soundstage I've heard in a dap that spreads out vastly in all direction. Its depth and height is about on par with Rs8, but has a greater horizontal expansion that feels almost cinematic in experience.

Compared to SP3K (strictly based off memory) -

Dx320 Max Ti has a cleaner and more natural presentation, whereas SP3K retains a more vivid and "hifi" signature. If my memory serves me right, SP3K has a darker background and quite unmatched compared to any dap I've come across so far. Soundstage is more expansive and enveloping on the Max Ti.

All these impressions were from right out of the box and I could tell it needed a thorough burn-in and there were coarse and rough edges at the ends of each note.

I'm certain it'll settle for a more mature sound after 100+ hours.

At the current moment, I'd be hard pressed to say this is a direct upgrade from its major competitors due to the difference in tonality. I believe it would be complimentary to those who already own a SP3K or Rs8 as synergy will be key to finding the appropriate pairing for every iem.

This was a fun and wonderful experience that I hoped to share and hopefully more Coolers will chime in to share their impressions as well 🥰
Really nice impressions. Doesn't seem too different to how I'd describe the differences between RS8 and DX300 MAX SS. Very complementary DAPs indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back