The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 2, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #57,887 of 88,630
Hey there. Decided to drop back here again after a short absence. I'm not really a reviewer or anything, but I did want to drop my thoughts on the Tangzu Zetian Wu now that I've cooked on them for a solid couple months. That is what I wanted to do, initially :)

I'll keep it short - It's reignited my love for in-ears. I've mostly been someone who leans on Harman over-ear 2018 target, so something with a little extra salt and pepper to bring out female vocals & string instruments is pretty nice to have. The subbass extension is great, especially from a desktop-level source - and, thankfully, don't require that much power to scale to maximum, unlike the 7hz Salnotes Dioko. The midrange in general doesn't seem to be veiled at all, which is great. Really, the only downside is - as mentioned in reviews - the lack of technical performance. I'd argue that my 7hz Salnotes Zero was better at this, at least with the Whizzer SS20 eartips.

Once I get a few things sorted out, I'd like to do something more... comparative, with the Seeaudio Rinko. The 7hz Salnotes Zero are almost Harman IE 2019 target, although lacking in bass - and I listen to a lot of things that need good bass to really shine.
In the meantime, my Rode AI-1 is out for service, given its issues. I've been connected up to my desktop's ALC1200, which is sufficiently shielded on my motherboard, but I don't really enjoy the sound of it or the lack of a proper volume knob.

May 2, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #57,888 of 88,630
Gorgeous evening here in Vancouver 🌸. Not only are the days getting longer but my desire to explore gear only seems to be getting stronger.

32E7BA19-A0B7-4511-8B70-193F26C32DA9.jpeg

Darker cherry blossoms near downtown.

I thought I would share some gear that I decided to let go of in the past few days:

CFA Supermoon
60B8FE36-E9BE-4A39-886D-E0578BD5A15A.jpeg

This was my first custom! I purchased it blind based on Watercooler impressions during the CFA Black Friday sale last year for $1100. It is quite resolving at this price point, but the highs started bothering me. This probably won't be a problem for a majority of people out there, but during the time, I had Elysian X in my rotation. Pairing it with the PW Orpheus helped thicken up that sound and smooth that region out. Since it wasn't getting much use anymore after getting RGB, I decided to let it go and put it towards another purchase.

Ifi Go Bar
35A7B631-D5F3-412C-94FE-2945202B51A7.jpeg

Usually being a 1 dap person, I purchased the Ifi Go Bar to be more mobile when I had the N8ii based on @Damz87 recommended pairing with SM. Not sure if it's just this dongle but I noticed that with slight movement it would stop the music playback. I eventually used it mainly for sit down sessions when my Dap ran out of battery. Great power for this form factor and the Xbass functionality added some meat and punch to Serratus. Nothing wrong with the sound but it doesnt fit my use case anymore.

PW Orpheus
E20CAA25-A496-4A0D-8BDA-A738E0D5FC04.jpeg

I posted about how well this paired with a variety of my iems. This is something I kept going back and forth on selling. I am still fairly new to cables but this had the most "impact" on changing my iems sound signature.

Big soundstage, great macro and microdetails, adds dynamics and thickens up the sound. Not ideal for iems with rounded bass already like XE6 but one of the best options for smoothing out the high end. Craving for a "fun" tuning lately to compliment my RGB so I sold this purely to add more diversity to my rotation.

The hunt is back on. Currently eyeing the Elysian Diva, or passively eyeing a DD hybrid like Raven, Grand Maestro.

May 2, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #57,889 of 88,630
Gorgeous evening here in Vancouver 🌸. Not only are the days getting longer but my desire to explore gear only seems to be getting stronger.

Darker cherry blossoms near downtown.

I thought I would share some gear that I decided to let go of in the past few days:

CFA Supermoon

This was my first custom! I purchased it blind based on Watercooler impressions during the CFA Black Friday sale last year for $1100. It is quite resolving at this price point, but the highs started bothering me. This probably won't be a problem for a majority of people out there, but during the time, I had Elysian X in my rotation. Pairing it with the PW Orpheus helped thicken up that sound and smooth that region out. Since it wasn't getting much use anymore after getting RGB, I decided to let it go and put it towards another purchase.

Ifi Go Bar

Usually being a 1 dap person, I purchased the Ifi Go Bar to be more mobile when I had the N8ii based on @Damz87 recommended pairing with SM. Not sure if it's just this dongle but I noticed that with slight movement it would stop the music playback. I eventually used it mainly for sit down sessions when my Dap ran out of battery. Great power for this form factor and the Xbass functionality added some meat and punch to Serratus. Nothing wrong with the sound but it doesnt fit my use case anymore.

PW Orpheus

I posted about how well this paired with a variety of my iems. This is something I kept going back and forth on selling. I am still fairly new to cables but this had the most "impact" on changing my iems sound signature.

Big soundstage, great macro and microdetails, adds dynamics and thickens up the sound. Not ideal for iems with rounded bass already like XE6 but one of the best options for smoothing out the high end. Craving for a "fun" tuning lately to compliment my RGB so I sold this purely to add more diversity to my rotation.

The hunt is back on. Currently eyeing the Elysian Diva, or passively eyeing a DD hybrid like Raven, Grand Maestro.
I’m quite sure all three made some enthusiasts super happy 😃

70477140968__C483839B-345B-4F34-9E59-54898429F2C3.jpeg
A San Francisco Evening via my bedroom window…

Very curious as to what you will go with as your next iem…..

I’ve been exploring more of the mid-fi land of iems. I just recently received a Sound Rhyme SR8, an all BA iem with quite the punch. Super resolving set that rivals some totl. A more flat sound but it bests the Penon Impact for me…YMMV

I’ve been anxious to hear the Grand Maestro, one I’ve got my eye and hear to the ground on. Otherwise I’m searching for a portable DAP with great battery life…leaning towards the Paw6k currently.

Stoked on the Singularity. Seems like a few of us will be receiving them and impressions should be a plenty. Looking forward to that!

Thanks for sharing your journey Nate!

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #57,890 of 88,630
I definitely don't need a specific cable, source and iem pair for each of my 5 but here I am.

Ragnar, Magnus 8w, sp3k ss
Odin, horus cleo, dx320 amp 14
Indigo, cleo ii octA, sp3k cu
Trifecta, eletech Victoria, dx320 max
Rai penta, code 23, AK 4.4mm dongle

We (most certainly me) have issues. What can you do.
The only solution to your problem is: adding more :).

May 3, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #57,891 of 88,630
Can't recall... is the Singularity going to be a limited edition to something like a couple hundred units? If so, I may have to make sure I get in while the gettin's good...

May 3, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #57,892 of 88,630
Can't recall... is the Singularity going to be a limited edition to something like a couple hundred units? If so, I may have to make sure I get in while the gettin's good...
I haven't seen anything about that, but the preorder was apparently a limited thing. I ordered a pair and was told I wasn't eligible for the preorder discount. Ymmv.

May 3, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #57,893 of 88,630
Yeah the new Star Wars I will only buy if they fix the horrible perfomance on PC. Still have a ton of games to play, also on Switch and PC. Just a shame about that waste money for the steam code...
I've read about it, let's see... so far I haven't really had problems with bugged games (e.g. Cyberpunk). I bought EA Play Pro for this and 15€ is worth it to me if it means I can play other games.

Will tell you in 2 weeks 😂
But seriously there might be not that much people with that combo
I hope C9 will be good @phiemon ?
I have never had AMPs, so I have no idea. And honestly, I want to keep it that way - if I start doing it, it would be the end for my bank account, free time und good mood 🫢.

I definitely don't need a specific cable, source and iem pair for each of my 5 but here I am.

Ragnar, Magnus 8w, sp3k ss
Odin, horus cleo, dx320 amp 14
Indigo, cleo ii octA, sp3k cu
Trifecta, eletech Victoria, dx320 max
Rai penta, code 23, AK 4.4mm dongle

We (most certainly me) have issues. What can you do.
What do you think about the Trifecta? What are your impressions?

May 3, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #57,894 of 88,630
Is there any of you that know how to "bump" your listing on the classified section? I don't see that option anymore. Thank you!

May 3, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #57,896 of 88,630
A little off topic(maybe or maybe not), but I need some advice. I have a PP8 and the left shell has a few cracks. Doesn't affect the sound in anyway and I plan on getting re-shelling done by InEar sometime at a later date when I'm less busy. But till then can I put some kind of adhesive over the cracks to stop anything bad happening to them?
Attaching a pic of the cracked ear piece.
Please advice.
Note: I take proper care of my gear. The shell was cracked before I bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230503_101517.jpg
    IMG_20230503_101517.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #57,897 of 88,630
The option is available after three (?) days.
Not anymore, because there are more than five days since I posted my listing on classified and I don't see that option anymore

May 3, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #57,898 of 88,630
I’m quite sure all three made some enthusiasts super happy 😃

A San Francisco Evening via my bedroom window…

Very curious as to what you will go with as your next iem…..

I’ve been exploring more of the mid-fi land of iems. I just recently received a Sound Rhyme SR8, an all BA iem with quite the punch. Super resolving set that rivals some totl. A more flat sound but it bests the Penon Impact for me…YMMV

I've been lurking the discovery thread. The SR8 seems to be well recieved. This is another iem I want to try to feel grounded and better understand the performance for each price point.

I’ve been anxious to hear the Grand Maestro, one I’ve got my eye and hear to the ground on. Otherwise I’m searching for a portable DAP with great battery life…leaning towards the Paw6k currently.

I was a fan of the MSEs massive sound. I would have probably bought one already if it fit me better. I was told that the GM has the same universal fit so I am keeping an eye out for more impressions to roll in. As for the Paw6k, I haven't tried it. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Stoked on the Singularity. Seems like a few of us will be receiving them and impressions should be a plenty. Looking forward to that!

Thanks for sharing your journey Nate!
It's been interesting watching your journey as well! The Trifecta and Phonix LE must be special to survive many cullings. Looking forward to hearing those again in Socal.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #57,900 of 88,630
Only everything after 600 Hz...:k701smile: Also...Apples and Oranges are both fruits, so a comparison is quite doable.

That's why I said it. The only resemblance between those 2 earphones is precisely that, both are earphones, and both are IEMs.
For the rest, its sound is completely different as indicated by its graphs. That they are similar up to 600 Hz does not indicate that their sound will be the least bit similar.

I suppose you don’t listen bass and mids till 1kHz 😂
I know it’s not the same FR curve but has similarities OFC, plus I said ALTERNATIVE choice not CLONE.😉
Sorry if I offended iE600🤭

Oh, of course I hear those frequencies. 😂

But what I assure you is that I do not have a low pass filter in my ears that limits the frequencies that I hear in the 600 Hz, which is as far as only those graphs are similar.

From 600 Hz the graphics are completely different, and I don't need to know much about frequency response, graphics or equalization to know that these headphones sound completely different. And that much smaller differences than those shown in those graphs already make the sound differ like night and day.

It does not matter that a lot of sound information is contained between 0 and 600 Hz, I assure you that small differences in the rest of the spectrum make the ear perceive all those frequencies in a completely different way. And these graphs don't show "small differences", there are changes of many dBs in many important areas (like ear gain for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back