The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 4, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #5,641 of 88,474
ZEN PRO is fantastic, definitely one I would love in the collection. Likewise FD7... well all single DDs basically 🤪
I lost my faith in single DD setups with my XM4's but these 3 are the only sub $1,000 IEMs that I still would want to give a chance; trying to hold on to the DD-Dream. Now that the Traillii is out of limits I'm going Down-Up again as I don't have the guts to blind buy anything but the Big Bird.

The other 2 DD's I have on my list are the Softears Turii and the Dunu Luna. I'm assuming most of the frequent visitors here are finding it too limited as I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on this thread? Would that be mostly bass related, or...?

drftr

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #5,642 of 88,474
I've had worse starts to a Saturday morning. Clearly my ability to hold opening the n6ii-Ti till Christmas didn't work... I have to check it works 😄 - it does and sounds incredible. Excellent customer service also from Tom in Audio Essence, a pleasure to deal with.

Nice!! Looking forward to your impressions of the Athena. I notice below the Y-splitter, the cable is wrapped in parachord. Was that an option available through the re-seller? It's not on Satin Audio's website...at least wasn't as of last week.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #5,643 of 88,474
You know you're in deep when the cable is approaching the price of the IEM.....
The Athena is around $100 less than the price of the Isa. And that is with the optional penocon 4.4 termination that costs $85 more.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #5,644 of 88,474
Nice!! Looking forward to your impressions of the Athena. I notice below the Y-splitter, the cable is wrapped in parachord. Was that an option available through the re-seller? It's not on Satin Audio's website...at least wasn't as of last week.

Yes Audio Essence reached out when Satin were making the cable, option to add a sleeve - I think there were about 4 colours to choose from and maybe $20 more to the cost. The cable was reduced by I think about 25% also when I bought it so a good deal.

It's a lovely cable and a very premium unboxing experience. I love the case they include too, a nice solution for Isabellae.

20211204_200435.jpg

20211204_200609.jpg

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #5,645 of 88,474
The other 2 DD's I have on my list are the Softears Turii and the Dunu Luna. I'm assuming most of the frequent visitors here are finding it too limited as I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on this thread? Would that be mostly bass related, or...?
Turii is hard to find for people and even discontinued at this point. Waiting for @Softears to make a new box for it is taking over a year. I love my Turii.
But yeah, maybe my use case of indy metal and late 90's electronica isn't everyones cup of tea, so Turii doesn't shine as bright for them? It's a mid-bass midrange demon, not a bass head iem. Just look at its graphs.

I know the cable discussion is a what it is and even the need to prepare you for what's coming is yawn inducing, but Turii is definitely not the same IEM when I remove the Leonidas 4w I have welded to it.

Haven't heard the Luna. Not on my radar yet.

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #5,646 of 88,474
Turii is hard to find for people and even discontinued at this point. Waiting for @Softears to make a new box for it is taking over a year. I love my Turii.
But yeah, maybe my use case of indy metal and late 90's electronica isn't everyones cup of tea, so Turii doesn't shine as bright for them? It's a mid-bass midrange demon, not a bass head iem. Just look at its graphs.

I know the cable discussion is a what it is and even the need to prepare you for what's coming is yawn inducing, but Turii is definitely not the same IEM when I remove the Leonidas 4w I have welded to it.

Haven't heard the Luna. Not on my radar yet.
I think Turii level bass is exactly what I need. Anything more raises my eye brows. How would you compare upper-mid forwardness and treble of Isa with the Turii?

drftr

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #5,647 of 88,474
I have iFi Audio Power Elite coming next week... M17 is not quite desktop either but for a DAP quite close
That's the thing when it comes to these big chonky DAPs, I'd rather save those $$ and just use dedicated desktop gear instead. I am a bit of a cheapskate that way, so there is that I guess..

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #5,648 of 88,474
I think Turii level bass is exactly what I need. Anything more raises my eye brows. How would you compare upper-mid forwardness and treble of Isa with the Turii?

drftr
They graph pretty close but to my ears, Turii has a more full bodied middle midrange (harman-ish sounding), tame upper mid range, and a nice slightly blunted treble air.
Isa has a deeper V feel comparatively with brighter overall presentation and a bit more upper mid energy and treble sparkle. Coupled with a warm mid bass punch, Isa is the more "tubey" IEM. Turii a bit more solid state and technical. But man the bass on Turii can surprise you, and it's a wake up call to me that you may not need to reach so deep with too much sub as it can end up murking out the music with waves of low order noise and change the original vibe.
graph.png

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #5,649 of 88,474
They graph pretty close but to my ears, Turii has a more full bodied middle midrange (harman-ish sounding), tame upper mid range, and a nice slightly blunted treble air.
Isa has a deeper V feel comparatively with brighter overall presentation and a bit more upper mid energy and treble sparkle. Coupled with a warm mid bass punch, Isa is the more "tubey" IEM. Turii a bit more solid state and technical. But man the bass on Turii can surprise you, and it's a wake up call to me that you may not need to reach so deep with too much sub as it can end up murking out the music with waves of low order noise and change the original vibe.
graph.png
Great response - tnx much... From my recently developed review interpreting & chart eye-balling hobby I have noticed that DD bass shouldn't get above that +65 dB level, while BA bass should stay sub +67 dB-ish. At least, that's where reviewers start dropping the term bass head level every other review, so I consider that my No Go zone. I assume the different DD and BA readings are because of note weight and decay, but I can't tell for sure. Do you have this experience perhaps?

drftr

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #5,650 of 88,474
Great response - tnx much... From my recently developed review interpreting & chart eye-balling hobby I have noticed that DD bass shouldn't get above that +65 dB level, while BA bass should stay sub +67 dB-ish. At least, that's where reviewers start dropping the term bass head level every other review, so I consider that my No Go zone. I assume the different DD and BA readings are because of note weight and decay, but I can't tell for sure. Do you have this experience perhaps?

drftr
The measurements are all relative so I wouldn't necessarily give hard and fast rules like +65 dB or higher is this or that. It depends on what the other frequencies are doing.
I wouldn't think note weight and decay play into the graphs, and if they do, whether or not the type of driver would make a measurable difference?
I'm the hear first, graph later or never type. Best get a real audiophiles take. :wink:

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #5,651 of 88,474
I'm the hear first, graph later or never type. Best get a real audiophiles take
True. But it sounds like you don't live in Europe :xf_cool: Half of what's on my shopping list can't even be auditioned there, so I'm trying to figure out whether I should listen & buy when I'm back in Europe for a few weeks in Feb or that it's better to wait yet a handful of months more and audition the rest in Singapore or so. But that's ways away from now so it's not really my favourite option. Getting itchy...

drftr

Dec 4, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #5,652 of 88,474
True. But it sounds like you don't live in Europe :xf_cool: Half of what's on my shopping list can't even be auditioned there, so I'm trying to figure out whether I should listen & buy when I'm back in Europe for a few weeks in Feb or that it's better to wait yet a handful of months more and audition the rest in Singapore or so. But that's ways away from now so it's not really my favourite option. Getting itchy...

drftr
What's this "auditioning"? Is that when you can hear and make an informed purchase decision using the only metric that really matters, your ears?
Yeah, I can't do that. Recently it's been all blind buy's.

We have some audio shops in Seattle, but they don't have much in the way of portable hifi, last time I looked. Mainly 2 channel and AV stuff. They can order it for you, but c'mon, thats what I do.

If you were already prepared to throw down for The Bird, you might just want to blind buy an Isa or maybe a used Turii shipped to whatever location you can. Then get a TOTL after you audition? Happy now, happy later. There is more than enough to like in 1 of those 2 single DD's, if they were already researched by you as contenders?

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #5,653 of 88,474
What's this "auditioning"? Is that when you can hear and make an informed purchase decision using the only metric that really matters, your ears?
Yeah, I can't do that. Recently it's been all blind buy's.

We have some audio shops in Seattle, but they don't have much in the way of portable hifi, last time I looked. Mainly 2 channel and AV stuff. They can order it for you, but c'mon, thats what I do.

If you were already prepared to throw down for The Bird, you might just want to blind buy an Isa or maybe a used Turii shipped to whatever location you can. Then get a TOTL after you audition? Happy now, happy later. There is more than enough to like in 1 of those 2 single DD's, if they were already researched by you as contenders?
Do you happen to know what the special edition of the Turii is about that would be released this month?

drftr

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #5,654 of 88,474
Do you happen to know what the special edition of the Turii is about that would be released this month?

drftr
Only that its lighter, made of titanium, probably has a smaller box, and apparently no one has one. Only 88 were made. Don’t know much else. There are some posts on the general softears thread. Maybe ask over there?

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #5,655 of 88,474
I've had worse starts to a Saturday morning. Clearly my ability to hold opening the n6ii-Ti till Christmas didn't work... I have to check it works 😄 - it does and sounds incredible. Excellent customer service also from Tom in Audio Essence, a pleasure to deal with.

Yes Audio Essence reached out when Satin were making the cable, option to add a sleeve - I think there were about 4 colours to choose from and maybe $20 more to the cost. The cable was reduced by I think about 25% also when I bought it so a good deal.

It's a lovely cable and a very premium unboxing experience. I love the case they include too, a nice solution for Isabellae.

Beauty across the board...how are you liking the Cayin? I've yet to hear an R2R implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back