The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #55,606 of 91,041
This was unexpected. Leaving the Fir tribe for a bit to go on a new adventure. This is still in my top 3. I am sure I will get it again at some point.

04D485E8-21CD-4519-84EF-6E5893D7F5D6.jpeg

For anyone looking for one here is a link to my posting:

Fir XE6

Oh yeah the classifieds has been weird lately. If anyone wants photo of a note next to the iem for verification, I can do that.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #55,607 of 91,041
Hey all, not sure if this is the best place for this..but figured there was a lot of expertise and experience in this thread that might be helpful.

Only "proper" IEM I've ever owned is Etymotic ER4SR; I'm definitely a headphone guy and have very little experience with IEMs. I find my Etymotics to be mediocre and uncomfortable, as well. Overall I feel like I am missing a lot with them versus any of my headphones.

I've been contemplating making the jump into IEMs a bit more. Rationale is that my commute frequency to the office is increasing and that the summer months are coming and ear pads + heat = discomfort and sweat (and I'm a bit obsessive with the condition of my gear and rather my pads or headbands not get too grimey).

While I am definitely going to be looking for recommendations, my first question is a bit more philosophical; has anybody else made the transition from being a headphone purist to an IEM guy with largely positive results?

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #55,608 of 91,041
Spring Poll, Final Result:
The top 10:

Mentor x16
Xe6 x15
Rn6 x13
Traillii x12
Storm x9
Trifecta x9
Phonix LE x9
IER Z1R x9
Ronin x9
Ragnar x9
None of my choices are in the top 10 - I guess I failed the watercooler quiz? :cry:

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #55,610 of 91,041
None of my choices are in the top 10 - I guess I failed the watercooler quiz? :cry:

It wasn't a quiz :p

If I remember correctly you picked Supermoon, Singularity and Legend X. I own (and love) the Supermoon, have Singularity incoming and used to own the Legend X...all top tier IEMs. Not a failure at all!

Watercoolers, what 3 IEMs own your heart at this moment in time?

Well… it seems I’m late for the party, but I’m gonna play anyway! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here is my current top 3 in no particular order. Actually, it’s more to be taken as a complementary trio.

The money no object trio :
- Traillii Ti : smooth all-rounder
- Ragnar : detail / treble head
- Rosenkranz Silver KA 18K Gold : funky bass monster

The (slightly more) marriage friendly trio :
- Ronin
- Kublai Khan
- Rn6

"Marriage friendly" lmao.

Ronin, KK and Rn6 would be an epic trio.

@Rockwell75 thanks for the time and effort you’re putting into doing all those valuable polls! That’s really cool! :)

Cheers,

Julien.

Thank-you!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #55,611 of 91,041
It wasn't a quiz :p

If I remember correctly you picked Supermoon, Singularity and Legend X. I own (and love) the Supermoon, have Singularity incoming and used to own the Legend X...all top tier IEMs. Not a failure at all!
Just a bit of humor... I am happy with my Supermoon and LX, and looking forward to my Singularity once released.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #55,612 of 91,041
Hey all, not sure if this is the best place for this..but figured there was a lot of expertise and experience in this thread that might be helpful.

Only "proper" IEM I've ever owned is Etymotic ER4SR; I'm definitely a headphone guy and have very little experience with IEMs. I find my Etymotics to be mediocre and uncomfortable, as well. Overall I feel like I am missing a lot with them versus any of my headphones.

I've been contemplating making the jump into IEMs a bit more. Rationale is that my commute frequency to the office is increasing and that the summer months are coming and ear pads + heat = discomfort and sweat (and I'm a bit obsessive with the condition of my gear and rather my pads or headbands not get too grimey).

While I am definitely going to be looking for recommendations, my first question is a bit more philosophical; has anybody else made the transition from being a headphone purist to an IEM guy with largely positive results?
Given your spending on headphones, definitely go for two for a starter: Fir Audio XE6 or Empire Ears EVO, plus Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor. XE6/EVO for bass that rival your 1266 Ti, and Mentor for Mids that are as thick and as sweet as Verite Open.

Don't hesitate for any philosophical argument, just try them out and it is the only way to know if IEMs work for you. Unless you are confined to your home, IEMs are absolutely necessary.

Oh, forgot to mention DAPs, LP6 Ti for a starter.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #55,613 of 91,041
Just a bit of humor... I am happy with my Supermoon and LX, and looking forward to my Singularity once released.

I should say also that Singularity did incredibly well for an IEM that very few people have actually heard, and only in prototype form at that.

LP6 Ti for a starter.

Ha...that's quite a place to start.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #55,614 of 91,041
Given your spending on headphones, definitely go for two for a starter: Fir Audio XE6 or Empire Ears EVO, plus Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor. XE6/EVO for bass that rival your 1266 Ti, and Mentor for Mids that are as thick and as sweet as Verite Open.

Don't hesitate for any philosophical argument, just try them out and it is the only way to know if IEMs work for you. Unless you are confined to your home, IEMs are absolutely necessary.

Oh, forgot to mention DAPs, LP6 Ti for a starter.

Coming out of the gate with $15K worth of recommendations. I like your style.

I love this community because the opportunity exists to try things and if they don't work out, move on from them (for an acceptable loss). But this would certainly be a huge dive into the deep end of the headphone-to-IEM-world!

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #55,615 of 91,041
Well... LX is in my top 3 as well. Welcome to the Legend team. :)

I keep going back and forth between selling and keeping my LX.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #55,616 of 91,041

I love this community because the opportunity exists to try things and if they don't work out, move on from them (for an acceptable loss). But this would certainly be a huge dive into the deep end of the headphone-to-IEM-world!

You're an estabslished Head-Fier with great feedback...if you're going to be around here with some regularity you should sigh up for our tours...most notable at the moment is the Mentor just referenced by @wolfstar76.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #55,617 of 91,041
Well... LX is in my top 3 as well. Welcome to the Legend team. :)

I keep going back and forth between selling and keeping my LX.

I wouldn’t bother. What you’ll get back for it isn’t worth giving up a set that still holds its own today as I personally feel there hasn’t been a true LX successor yet.

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #55,618 of 91,041

Although I was half joking, my personal experience is that you actually ended up saving more if you go directly to the best. You can save even more by purchasing second hand from classified, such as the XE6 list above from our well known and respected cooler @Natesdailies. The good things about going to the best if your finance allows is that you avoid the cost of the learning curve of keeping upgrading. The TOTL IEMs are also in high demand, if you decide to sell, you don't suffer too much if you buy used.

Just as your ZMF, you can't just buy a VO without investing in a tube amp, you also need a good source. But joke aside, if you are mainly using streaming, you can try RU6 dongle with phone before committing a DAP.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #55,619 of 91,041
You're an estabslished Head-Fier with great feedback...if you're going to be around here with some regularity you should sigh up for our tours...most notable at the moment is the Mentor just referenced by @wolfstar76.

Thank you for that! Sounds like a (slightly) favorable alternative to laying out $15K out of the gate. Will be looking deeper into this thread to see the details.

I regret not taking a moment to visit any of the IEM producers at the recent CanJam, definitely a misstep. But I've been enjoying doing a lot of research into the IEM game, it's truly a new world for me.

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #55,620 of 91,041
Thank you for that! Sounds like a (slightly) favorable alternative to laying out $15K out of the gate. Will be looking deeper into this thread to see the details.

I regret not taking a moment to visit any of the IEM producers at the recent CanJam, definitely a misstep. But I've been enjoying doing a lot of research into the IEM game, it's truly a new world for me.

Tour thread is here if you're interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wat...ails-see-second-post-for-active-tours.960012/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back