The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 16, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #52,667 of 88,386
Glad you love it :), try the RS8 with an extra amp if possible, the line-out mode on RS8 is amazing and easy to access.
the Tsuranagi is so good, lined out with rs8.
20230316_010342.JPG
20230316_010716.JPG
20230316_011015~2.JPG
20230316_011653~2.JPG
20230316_011630~2.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #52,670 of 88,386
the Tsuranagi is so good, lined out with rs8.
The RS8 combo with the tsuranagi is just insane!

The ultimate combo is complete! I know its incredible, the soundstage with the darkest background you can get from a portable amp. looks like you need mine murakumo 6 IC , cant wait to get mine Tsuranagi ( coming soon Friday).
1678945174944.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #52,671 of 88,386
The RS8 combo with the tsuranagi is just insane!

The ultimate combo is complete! I know its incredible, the soundstage with the darkest background you can get from a portable amp. looks like you need mine murakumo 6 IC , cant wait to get mine Tsuranagi ( coming soon Friday).
1678945174944.jpeg
I asked for demo but I bought it before I tried it again(canjam NYC was first time) blame ups shipping ! Lol I'll receive mine today. I didn't order an IC yet still undecided on it tbh.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #52,673 of 88,386
I asked for demo but I bought it before I tried it again(canjam NYC was first time) blame ups shipping ! Lol I'll receive mine today. I didn't order an IC yet still undecided on it tbh.
I see, yeah the IC should be less important, but if you have a budget limit, ill recommend getting the yatono mini le ic not the yatono mini ultimate ic , its 3 times cheaper but still have the tuning of the ultimate version ( the le version should be a bit brighter as i remembered ),

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #52,674 of 88,386
I'm at a (for me) rather unique Starbucks in Penang that is only manned by deaf people. Like 7 or 8. Had a very interesting discussion with them as I have visited before and they recognized me and had a zillion questions. Takes a while to get the story across the table but they're just extremely sweet and patient and we managed to have a good laugh every now and then. Totally worth the effort. Will go back tomorrow to show my full support and have another chat.

It also makes me think how extremely fortunate we are to be able to actually have functioning ears to enjoy music and this hobby. 🙏🦻🙏

drftr

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #52,676 of 88,386
I own both, and I’d say it depends in part on the genre. Ronin is a better all-rounder, but Ragnar‘s detail and clarity are exceptional for genres where bass and warmth are less of a priority. For example, I much prefer metal on Ragnar, but prefer pop on Ronin. I think I might pick Ronin if I only had one, but it wouldn’t be an easy choice. If we’re comparing them with stock cables, then I’d lean even more towards Ronin as I feel the Ragnar needs something like a FT to warm it up.

As for Ronin vs. Mentor, they sound very similar to me. The key differences being that Ronin leans a tad warmer, and has better mid-bass (to my ears). Mentor does have the BCD which helps the sub-bass. I think Mentor sounds a tad smoother and more coherent. I didn’t notice a big difference in imaging/soundstage. Overall I’d say it’s a pretty close call, but I personally prefer Ronin.

I also got an Xe6 recently, though I’m still going through brain burn-in for that one… :stuck_out_tongue: But I see the appeal, I’ve been enjoying it.
What cable do you think Ragnar would need???

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #52,677 of 88,386
I'm at a (for me) rather unique Starbucks in Penang that is only manned by deaf people. Like 7 or 8. Had a very interesting discussion with them as I have visited before and they recognized me and had a zillion questions. Takes a while to get the story across the table but they're just extremely sweet and patient and we managed to have a good laugh every now and then. Totally worth the effort. Will go back tomorrow to show my full support and have another chat.

It also makes me think how extremely fortunate we are to be able to actually have functioning ears to enjoy music and this hobby. 🙏🦻🙏

drftr
That's super respectable that you have probably made their day. Thanks Joop!

Ha! Saw them just now! Tnx...

Are you double-amping or using LO? I know Steve had some pretty great results double-amping earlier on. Might be worth the try.

drftr
Haha! I am sort of double-amping listening to Beethoven's Ninth through my TT2 on Amp mode going into my Carbon into my x9k. Also, was comparing the version I am listening to now (DSD) with the Tidal version. Night and day!

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #52,678 of 88,386
Haha! I am sort of double-amping listening to Beethoven's Ninth through my TT2 on Amp mode going into my Carbon into my x9k. Also, was comparing the version I am listening to now (DSD) with the Tidal version. Night and day!
Wasn't Night And Day Joe instead of Ludwig? 🤔 Man, you gotta know your classics...

If you know for sure both sources are from the very same master then we'd love to hear much more about the comparison results!

Ben, I wonder if they'd pick up any of the music with an IEM with a BCD? Any idea? You have at least 3 candidates I think but it's impossible to test unless you seriously hurt your goldfish.

drftr

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #52,679 of 88,386
Wasn't Night And Day Joe instead of Ludwig? 🤔 Man, you gotta know your classics...

If you know for sure both sources are from the very same master then we'd love to hear much more about the comparison results!

Ben, I wonder if they'd pick up any of the music with an IEM with a BCD? Any idea? You have at least 3 candidates I think but it's impossible to test unless you seriously hurt your goldfish.

drftr
🤣
I would not know if they are from the same source master but just on the basis of the comparison I made, the DSD was much clearer with a much larger dynamic range.

I also have no idea how BCD works and how they impact sound or the perception of it! Not about to carry out open heart surgery to do a/b!

Mar 16, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #52,680 of 88,386
I would not know if they are from the same source master but just on the basis of the comparison I made, the DSD was much clearer with a much larger dynamic range.
I'd think that would be essential to know to come up with a fair conclusion though. What if the DSD was created from a master that sounded much much better than the one Tidal used in the first place? Admittedly I know next to nothing about DSD so I might be totally wrong here. Perhaps @gLer knows?

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back