The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 8, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #51,481 of 89,742
Have to disagree with you, mate :dt880smile: I’ll give you that Gaea tuning is divisive because it leans bright. But, the Elysian executes that tuning masterfully. I mean, it reveals all the treble details yet does not introduce harshness or sibilance (beyond what is there) with the sibilant mess “Shivers” of Ed Sheeran. That’s a hallmark of skill, IMHO.

+1 to this. Give Gaea a little EQ to compensate for the brightness and you still get those magnificent highs. It's a big win for me.

If you write that Trifecta is wonderful or that UM Mentor is the Top, then you could only receive unconditional praise .
Just you think that here someone so competent has defined the sound of the AK SP3000 as " Terrible " and no one , apart from me , has attacked or criticized him .
Weird rules of this thread 🤔
Eh, I demoed the Trifecta briefly yesterday, so let me be that guy....to my ears they are quite bad. Only the bass has some redeeming factors but nothing that has not been done before. Mids sounded very veiled and treble extension is not there. The biggest offender is probably the resolution, which is literally non-existent. It does sound like a pair of speakers instead of an IEM, but not in a good way. I'll just say it is definitely not the sound for me.

Though I haven't spent a lot of time on it and haven't cable/dap/tip rolled it yet, so I might go back tomorrow for another go.

I'll be that guy also. Beyond its great imaging I find the Mentor to be...not that great. The bass response is weak and limp, the lower mids hazy and the whole presentation seems to be lacking any real emotional connection. Take away the BCD and you've got yourself a fairly average BA IEM...IMHO.

Looking at Xe6 it is an IEM that decidedly won the IEM of the year award around here and yet there are many who found it bloated, boomy and unbecoming of flagship status.

Personally, for my tastes and preferencs, I think the Trifecta is superior to both of those IEMs-- but that's just me.

IMHO the proper response to all of the above is to chalk it up to differing music tastes, source synergies, personal preferences, hearing sensitivities and sonic priorities. Some people may love all 3 of the above IEMs, others may not really like any of them-- there is room in this hobby for a variety of perspectives so long as they're given in the right spirit and so long as it is understood that not everyone will agree or see things the same way. For most people there is no reliable way to assess anything without hearing it for yourself. After all we all hear things differently, we listen to different things, we value different things and we're often seeking many different things with the listening experience. It's when people attach a disproportionate amount of importance to their own impressions and viewpoints or subscribe to the idea that there is some "final word" on any particular product that we have a problem. I get that some people can't stand some IEMs that I love-- which is totally fine and, I would argue, inevitable-- but so long as everyone maintains a respect for varying opinions and we don't fall into the trap of thinking others are wrong or misguided for not seeing things the same way we do then all should continue to be well as far as this community goes.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #51,482 of 89,742
+1 to this. Give Gaea a little EQ to compensate for the brightness and you still get those magnificent highs. It's a big win for me.

I'll be that guy also. Beyond its great imaging I find the Mentor to be...not that great. The bass response is weak and limp, the lower mids hazy and the whole presentation seems to be lacking any real emotional connection. Take away the BCD and you've got yourself a fairly average BA IEM...IMHO.

Looking at Xe6 it is an IEM that decidedly won the IEM of the year award around here and yet there are many who found it bloated, boomy and unbecoming of flagship status.

Personally, for my tastes and preferencs, I think the Trifecta is superior to both of those IEMs-- but that's just me.

IMHO the proper response to all of the above is to chalk it up to differing music tastes, source synergies, personal preferences, hearing sensitivities and sonic priorities. Some people may love all 3 of the above IEMs, others may not really like any of them-- there is room in this hobby for a variety of perspectives so long as they're given in the right spirit and so long as its understood that not everyone will agree or see things the same way. For most people there us no reliable way to assess anything without hearing it for yourself. After all we all hear things differently, we listen to different things, we value different things and we're often seeking many different things with the listening experience. It's when people attach a disproportionate amount of importance to their own impressions and viewpoints or subscribe to the idea that there is some "final word" on any particular product that we have a problem. I get that some people can't stand some IEMs that I love-- which is totally fine and, I would argue, inevitable-- but so long as everyone maintains a respect varying opinions and we don't fall into the trap of thinking others are wrong or misguided for not seeing things the same thing we do then all should continue to be well as far as this community goes.
Well said, as always. Everyone has different tastes. I happen to like the Mentor, though I haven't heard any of the other modern flagship IEMs. Campfire hasn't felt like sending me a Trifecta yet haha. Some people love the SP3000, while I don't find the more neutral tuning to match my preference. I like the Symphonium Meteor, while CT007 hates it. It just depends on what you like. It's important to keep that in mind when looking for new gear - find people who have similar tastes to you and go off their recommendations more than anything else.

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #51,483 of 89,742

IMHO the proper response to all of the above is to chalk it up to differing music tastes, source synergies, personal preferences, hearing sensitivities and sonic priorities. Some people may love all 3 of the above IEMs, others may not really like any of them-- there is room in this hobby for a variety of perspectives so long as they're given in the right spirit and so long as it is understood that not everyone will agree or see things the same way. For most people there is no reliable way to assess anything without hearing it for yourself. After all we all hear things differently, we listen to different things, we value different things and we're often seeking many different things with the listening experience. It's when people attach a disproportionate amount of importance to their own impressions and viewpoints or subscribe to the idea that there is some "final word" on any particular product that we have a problem. I get that some people can't stand some IEMs that I love-- which is totally fine and, I would argue, inevitable-- but so long as everyone maintains a respect for varying opinions and we don't fall into the trap of thinking others are wrong or misguided for not seeing things the same way we do then all should continue to be well as far as this community goes.
The perfect disclaimer for this hobby and this very thread.

drftr

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #51,485 of 89,742
Makes notes listen to these @ CanJam SoCal:Trifecta, Gaea, Xe6, Radon6, & EXT

BASS!!! How low can you go???

If all goes well I should be able to get you tour units of 3 of the above prior to CanJam SoCal.

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #51,486 of 89,742
@HiFiHawaii808 @yaps66 I have a question for "educational reasons" if I may:

You both have a stunning IEM collection but also flagship headphones. I'm sure you're using IEMs while on the move and/or at work, but if you sit down for enjoying music back home do IEMs in general still occupy your ears a lot, or are you mainly using headphones nowadays? Tnx...

drftr

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #51,487 of 89,742

You both have a stunning IEM collection but also flagship headphones. I'm sure you're using IEMs while on the move and/or at work, but if you sit down for enjoying music back home do IEMs in general still occupy your ears a lot, or are you mainly using headphones nowadays? Tnx...

drftr
You didn't ask me, since I'm not cool enough. But I'll share anyway because I'm putting off writing a review. I've gone through a large gamut of full-size and IEMs (just see my ranking list.) I prefer music with the IEMs (I guess the multiple drivers make a difference for me.) I use my full-size less and less, and mostly when connected to my computer at home and I need sound on there - gaming, TV, etc. I almost never listen to music on my desktop setup unless writing a review of some over-ear headphones.

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #51,488 of 89,742

drftr
IEMs. Half the time I have to stop listening abruptly. My kid comes in, my wife needs me, I get an impromptu work call, etc. A home with children and pets means when I stop listening, everything has to go away and be secured. I adore my Audezes, but it's a whole thing: unplug the cable, coil the cable, put the big expensive delicate wood cup headphones that I know my toddler will destroy back in the lockbox, put the box away in storage...with my IEMs, it's still a whole thing, but it's faster and easier to wrap them up, put them in the metal tin on my desk, and get back to it. Also, for bedtime listening, they're a lot more comfortable.

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #51,489 of 89,742

I don't think there is anyone who "can't stand" someone else liking an IEM that they don't like. At least not in this thread. Seeing different takes on the same IEM is part of the fun of this hobby, and you get to explore other people's music tastes, or even develop new ones after understanding other's views and trying it out.

If there is anything that I don't like, it is someone calling my setup "not correct sounding" and insists that there are "optimal pairings", and suggesting that my tastes are "bad" because I like listening to a flavoured, unrealistic, non-reference sound. Quite common in the HK local community.

Oh and I don't feel any emotional connection with the Mentor also (unlike the "downgrade", Phonix) - uppermids and treble are not for my tastes. Only the imaging stands out.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #51,490 of 89,742
I don't think there is anyone who "can't stand" someone else liking an IEM that they don't like.

I never meant to imply that. In the statement you bolded I was simply pointing out that there IEMs that I love that others can't stand (and, of course, vice versa). It's the IEMs they can't stand, not the act of my liking them.

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #51,491 of 89,742
You didn't ask me, since I'm not cool enough. But I'll share anyway because I'm putting off writing a review. I've gone through a large gamut of full-size and IEMs (just see my ranking list.) I prefer music with the IEMs (I guess the multiple drivers make a difference for me.) I use my full-size less and less, and mostly when connected to my computer at home and I need sound on there - gaming, TV, etc. I almost never listen to music on my desktop setup unless writing a review of some over-ear headphones.
I’m also not cool enough :) But my 2c:

I enjoy both HPs and IEMs at home. It’s a different listening experience. Recently I’ve been listening mainly to IEMs, but that’s because that’s where I do most of the buying and selling, while I consider my HP collection fairly complete.

To avoid further temptation I’ll probably declare the IEM collection complete soon (again) and sign out of headfi (again). :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #51,492 of 89,742
I’m also not cool enough :) But my 2c:

I enjoy both HPs and IEMs at home. It’s a different listening experience. Recently I’ve been listening mainly to IEMs, but that’s because that’s where I do most of the buying and selling, while I consider my HP collection fairly complete.

To avoid further temptation I’ll probably declare the IEM collection complete soon (again) and sign out of headfi (again). :)

1678289177680.gif

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #51,494 of 89,742
IEMs. Half the time I have to stop listening abruptly. My kid comes in, my wife needs me, I get an impromptu work call, etc. A home with children and pets means when I stop listening, everything has to go away and be secured. I adore my Audezes, but it's a whole thing: unplug the cable, coil the cable, put the big expensive delicate wood cup headphones that I know my toddler will destroy back in the lockbox, put the box away in storage...with my IEMs, it's still a whole thing, but it's faster and easier to wrap them up, put them in the metal tin on my desk, and get back to it. Also, for bedtime listening, they're a lot more comfortable.

I listened to two "summit fi" headphone setups at CanJam and while show conditions were less than ideal my overwhelming takeaway is that I'm so used to IEMs' more intimate "right next to your brain" presentation that I vastly prefer them. It would probably take me like a week of listening to a headphone setup before I could overcome my habitual bias to IEM like presentations and start to appreciate full size headphones on their own terms.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #51,495 of 89,742
Same here, no one asked for my input, but this is relatable. Went through a ton of gear, have access to a nice selection of high end gear and for some weird reason I keep coming back to IEMs and DAPs . They are deeply personal and I connect to the music easier. The only Headphones that ever gave me the chills were the Audeze LCD-4Z, DCA Expanse, and Stax SR-X9000. With IEMs I get that sensation a lot more frequently. It's soul stirring in a good way.

Totally forgot about listening to Jamiroquai - Tallulah & Sade - War of the Hearts on the Warwick Aperio & Bravura.. That is a pretty solid setup if there is minimal ambient noise in the listening area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back