The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #49,488 of 90,409
How many versions is that now??

Attachments

• C57567D0-336E-4270-A058-05B96E9A6C9C.png
    C57567D0-336E-4270-A058-05B96E9A6C9C.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #49,489 of 90,409

Premier edition (that I have), German exclusive, HK exclusive, and this one which appears to be something of a general release. All have the same tuning though.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #49,490 of 90,409
Premier edition (that I have), German exclusive, HK exclusive, and this one which appears to be something of a general release. All have the same tuning though.
Which one was the blue one with the silver accents? The German release? I prefer the colour way of this one but like the Smokey body. On a side note, the price of that new Solaris has put a bit of a downer on my plans to purchase.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #49,491 of 90,409
Oh well, looks like any potential excitement for this current round of campfire releases is gone for me. Probably for the best. 3 releases that are all just either open releases of existing limited editions or new releases of already existing models. And man, I dont know if they are going to say its inflation or new tech or what, but it looks like the days of campfire offering "cheap" totl offerings (by totl standards) are gone. Andromeda is up to $1500, the new solaris is almost $2700, and the trifecta, well thats the same, but it was already sky high. Though I do have to say, the new style of the solaris is quite visually appealing.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #49,492 of 90,409
333 of +-4 versions… makes it quite a big “limited edition club”. 😂

Reminds me this meme.

1677004199500.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #49,493 of 90,409
I wonder, does that count toward the 333 examples that they’re “only” going to build? A lot of companies use “limited edition” as a marketing term to push for more sales, and come up with special editions like this to keep producing the same item.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #49,494 of 90,409
Which one was the blue one with the silver accents? The German release? I prefer the colour way of this one but like the Smokey body. On a side note, the price of that new Solaris has put a bit of a downer on my plans to purchase.

German one was blue. I actually like the clear one the best (happily so) but would add the gold accents if I could.

Oh well, looks like any potential excitement for this current round of campfire releases is gone for me. Probably for the best. 3 releases that are all just either open releases of existing limited editions or new releases of already existing models. And man, I dont know if they are going to say its inflation or new tech or what, but it looks like the days of campfire offering "cheap" totl offerings (by totl standards) are gone. Andromeda is up to $1500, the new solaris is almost $2700, and the trifecta, well thats the same, but it was already sky high. Though I do have to say, the new style of the solaris is quite visually appealing.

I think the Andro and Solaris here are essentially new incarnations/redesigns and qualitatively different than what has come before. From the get-go this promotion has promised a "new era" for them, seemingly in which they are aiming for a higher price tier. I suppose it will be up to the individual to decide if these new models and what they're bringing to the table will justify the increased price. I'm grateful to get an early opportunity to get my own ears on them to decide for myself this weekend.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #49,495 of 90,409
I wonder, does that count toward the 333 examples that they’re “only” going to build? A lot of companies use “limited edition” as a marketing term to push for more sales, and come up with special editions like this to keep producing the same item.

My understanding is that the clear edition that came out in November (that myself and a few others have) is the one of which 333 were made and which has recently been sold out on their website. My guess is that this new edition is over and above that. There were 33 of the blue one and like 80 or so of the HK one if Google Translate was getting it right.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #49,496 of 90,409
A&K wouldn't let me use my own music or my own IEMs
Where was this? We always encourage everyone to use their own music and own headphones/IEMs when demoing our DAPs. That is the only way to get a true feel for them, by using what is familiar to you. Every show we demo at, at least here in the US, most poeple use their own stuff to demo out products.

Last edited:
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #49,497 of 90,409
Clearly Trifecta price was just a marketing move to open precedent to bring the rest of the product prices up to balance up the portfolio again.
Now it’s looking crazy and will probably drop the sales but with higher returns (the sales are probable stable now and shouldn’t be much of a drop, since it is a new release).
In a couple months that will be the norm and people will get back on buying them, recovering volumes, but now with a much higher return.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #49,498 of 90,409
I think the Andro and Solaris here are essentially new incarnations/redesigns and qualitatively different than what has come before. From the get-go this promotion has promised a "new era" for them, seemingly in which they are aiming for a higher price tier.
Yea I get that. I still think they would have been better served by actually just making them totally new models in name as well. If they are truly new and different and this is a new era for them, then holding on to the names seems like they are doing so just to ride the popularity of those models. And I know for me, seeing a solaris at 2700 dollars is a big turn off on its own when past models could be had new for like a thousand dollars cheaper.

Regardless of that, I hope they are good and I am interested in hearing everyons impressions. But based on how the tuning is being described the only one I would have been interested in anyways is the trifecta, but price is a non starter.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #49,499 of 90,409
Yea I get that. I still think they would have been better served by actually just making them totally new models in name as well. If they are truly new and different and this is a new era for them, then holding on to the names seems like they are doing so just to ride the popularity of those models. And I know for me, seeing a solaris at 2700 dollars is a big turn off on its own when past models could be had new for like a thousand dollars cheaper.

Regardless of that, I hope they are good and I am interested in hearing everyons impressions. But based on how the tuning is being described the only one I would have been interested in anyways is the trifecta, but price is a non starter.

Well we can agree to disagree on this. After all Ford is still making Mustangs after 60 years and many complete redesigns. As long as they're an evolute of the same design/philosophy/ideal it seems logical to me that they'd hold onto the names.

As for the price, well they're still well clear of the bar many other brands have set.

Edit: #3300!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #49,500 of 90,409
Honey I Shrunk the DAP 😜

Shanling M0 Pro

This is a form factor I could get behind if Sonic's don't fall too far behind it's bigger brothers.
Where I am now. Mentor ticks all the right boxes. It replaced Trailliis role as my daily all rounder. This is also the closest I've been able to walk away from this hobby.
I'm with you. From the moment I read upon @Damz87 and @aaf evo's praise of Mentor, I was pretty sure it aligned with my preferences and sure enough, I haven't desired anything else since if I'm being honest. Closest thing was Diva and Pathfinder but those have slowly widdled away because everytime I pick up Mentor and have a listening sesh, I get transported again and again into a dimension of audio bliss that's unlike any other IEM I've ever tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back