The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #40,846 of 88,880
its interesting how the xe6 has gotten so popular recently

It's interesting because it's so egregiously coloured in its sound and this is a hobby where the ideal is more often than not balanced neutrality.

The Xe6 has been popular the whole time it's been out really. I never would have predicted this popularity at the outset either however when you think of Fir's 64 Audio heritage and remember that the Xe6 is basically 64 Audio refinement and technical sensibilities successfully married to an addictive form of bombastic excess...the popularity of the Xe6 becomes a lot easier to understand, and in fact seems almost inevitable. It's classy enough to introduce to mom and wild enough to keep you constantly engaged. I don't think its for everyone obviously...but I understand why so many like it.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #40,848 of 88,880
Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 8.11.28 PM.png

In other news my whole condo shook when this happened-- it felt like someone backed a truck into my building.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #40,849 of 88,880
Xelento 2 inbound... couldn't resist.

Do you have the original Xelento?

I have the original one and recently had a chance to audition Xelento 2. Looks like Beyer decided to appeal to consumer crowd with thicker lower mids and attenuated down upper mids and treble. I personally find it darker and thicker in tuning in comparison to Xelento OG.

Beyer_Xelento_2_vs_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #40,850 of 88,880
There is probably 100,000 to 150,000 South Korean expats living and working in Vietnam. Joop is right. Probably the best represented nation here.
I expected it to be full of French instead because it's a former colony, but last night I saw on a menu they get rid of those nowadays. Haute cuisine indeed...

20221125_182930.jpg

Thank-you for sharing! RE the dynamic range thing I've been struggling to come to grips with this for a while. I understand the meaning of the words around how you and others have described it but I've yet to relate them to personal experience. It could be a library thing.
I've noticed your struggle over the year. Maybe the easiest explanation is by leaving music out of the equation at all and simply referencing the difference between a d and a t. Say both characters a few times and you easily notice the d sounds softer and especially starts slower and rounded, where the t is spitting in your face and can't be avoided because it's there all of a sudden and loud at that.

Not dynamic is standing in front of the tunnel and seeing that train coming towards you for 20 seconds. Dynamic is standing there with your eyes closed for minutes followed by opening your eyes and seeing the nose of the train 1 meter in front of you.

It's _/ vs _|

Xelento 2 inbound... couldn't resist.

Screenshot_20221126_011355.jpg
I realize that island of yours is in a different time zone, but can it be 2023 over there already?? Remember what you wrote just a week ago??

BTW, I just ended my pilgrimage to the statue of The One You Pray To these days in a temple garden in Hoi An:

20221126_103756~2.jpg

drftr

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #40,851 of 88,880
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #40,852 of 88,880

I have the original one and recently had a chance to audition Xelento 2. Looks like Beyer decided to appeal to consumer crowd with thicker lower mids and attenuated down upper mids and treble. I personally find it darker and thicker in tuning in comparison to Xelento OG.

Beyer_Xelento_2_vs_1.jpg
Do they sound anything like the DT990 that was my very first introduction to real head-fi? I had never listened to headphones but was aware about their status by reading some German magazines, found a shop that carried them in Utrecht, and listened to Van Halen's first album. The guy told me I should listen at a much lower level, which I ignored as it wasn't loud at all - Geez...

Then, over the first 3 or so minutes I had to adjust the volume down at least 4-5 times as I couldn't stand how extremely dynamic they were! I learned a new thing that day and my journey had started. It was 1987.

drftr

Nov 26, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #40,854 of 88,880
I expected it to be full of French instead because it's a former colony, but last night I saw on a menu they get rid of those nowadays. Haute cuisine indeed...

20221125_182930.jpg

I've noticed your struggle over the year. Maybe the easiest explanation is by leaving music out of the equation at all and simply referencing the difference between a d and a t. Say both characters a few times and you easily notice the d sounds softer and especially starts slower and rounded, where the t is spitting in your face and can't be avoided because it's there all of a sudden and loud at that.

Not dynamic is standing in front of the tunnel and seeing that train coming towards you for 20 seconds. Dynamic is standing there with your eyes closed for minutes followed by opening your eyes and seeing the nose of the train 1 meter in front of you.

It's _/ vs _|

I realize that island of yours is in a different time zone, but can it be 2023 over there already?? Remember what you wrote just a week ago??

BTW, I just ended my pilgrimage to the statue of The One You Pray To these days in a temple garden in Hoi An:

20221126_103756~2.jpg

drftr
Hoi An never gets old! I love it!

Nov 26, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #40,855 of 88,880
Oh god please get it delivered fast :frowning2: Been tracking this impatiently every 2-3 mins as if it will do wonders :frowning2: Shipment includes Euclid B-Stock I grabbed during Black Friday sale.

euclid.png

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #40,856 of 88,880
How did you make out with your FUNGUS ear tips??????? :rolling_eyes::spy::thinking::upside_down:

Still hasn't arrived! It did finally land in Ireland yesterday so I'll have early next week.

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #40,857 of 88,880

Beyer_Xelento_2_vs_1.jpg

No I haven't heard the original but I've read/watched the small amount of impressions out there which were enough for me to take a chance - I like in particular how they are compared to IE600 and IE900 in this review...

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #40,858 of 88,880

Yeah I fell off the wagon unfortunately... God loves a trier :)

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #40,860 of 88,880
Let me share with you my RS8 epiphany of sorts :p

And the unit is not fully burnt in... none of them are in fact (if you consider 200 hours burn in required) since deliveries started last week aside from demos or the review unit that @gLer had for his review.

I can't wait to see where it will land but this one is a game changer for me and a keeper...

So I have let RS8 on burn in 24/7 since I got it which makes it approx 60 hours burn in... this morning I pick up the RS8 hit play and... Shock and awe!

Oh my god, Hiby has built a soulful, lifelike DAP with ultimate vocals 🤩
I have never heard anything like what I am hearing (except a few times when I had a chance of auditioning the Susvara plugged on the VIVA Egoista 845 tube amp) and it's not even fully burnt in... The level of nuance of this DAP is stunning, it "feels like the real thing", the kind of feeling you get live in a good venue when you're right next to the performers... there is a sense of realism from a cord pluck, a violin bow gliding, a piano key being struck every nuance of the interpretation is conveyed.

I am listening to well know albums and it's not that I am hearing more details no, it's just that I am feeling more emotion. Wow...
I had goosebumps and shivers down my spine several time during my last session.
Vocals are to die for, it redefines my expectations now...
So much so that my first thought was : I need a backup RS8 in case something happens I wouldn't be able to live without it :p (of course financial reality makes this impossible)

This is what I have been looking for every time I purchased a high end source. The elusive ability to reproduce the emotion of the music, of the performers... Hiby's motto says "Make music more musical", one would think this means adding some tricks to make music something it's not but clearly that's not what RS8 does. I would rephrase that motto by making the magic and emotion of music happen from a digital source, and portable at that! That's what RS8 does for me.

I can't wait to plug the RS8 to the Pro iCAN along with DCA Stealth... with CR08 it will be even better when it arrives.
I am pretty sure the Pegasus R2R DAC is a goner, for all its goodness it doesn't match the RS8 in that eerie sense of realism that spurs emotion.

Last but not least, the stage also has opened quite a bit, which makes RS8 even more immersive than out of the box.
I just can't put in down!
This DAP has a soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back