The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #39,781 of 88,403
Why trailli? Did you spend enough time with it?
One thing I've learned over 5 years in this hobby is that if I don't like something, spending more time with won't make me like it anymore.

That said, it's an excellent iem, but in terms of the performance/ratio, it's not something I want to have money tied up in. That and there's pressure build up for me with it being a fully sealed design.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #39,782 of 88,403
I just picked up the Hiby R5 Gen 2 and hope to compare them this weekend. The DX170 would benefit from a little more warmth & body down low to temper the higher frequencies. Nothing beats the form factor of the DX160/DX170 for portable use though. I’m also expecting delivery of the AMP8 Mk2 for the DX240 although the package price puts it much higher above the R5 & DX170. Also tried the Sony ZX507 w/Supermoon and it was grossly underpowered. For now I’ve gone back to my M6 Pro 21 for commute use.
Unfortunately, the majority of my listening time these days is during my commute so my portable DAP has to check off the right boxes. Android-based is a must as I sometimes watch videos. The DX160/DX170 is the perfect form factor with great ergonomics, but I'd like a warmer sound with more bass quantity. The Sony ZX-2 is still one of my favorite DAPs & I had hoped the ZX507 would be an upgrade, but it too lacks power. My only real gripe with the M6 Pro is it's portability; it's just a little too tall, thick & heavy to comfortably fit in a pant's pocket. I haven't had the best experience with Hiby DAPs and I'm not a big fan of the sharp edges or the lack of a volume wheel. The DX240 w/stock amp didn't really impress; the AMP8 module is a last-ditch effort. I'm being extremely anal, but hopefully one of these will work for me and I can sell the others and be done with my search. :head_bandage:
Isn't that where the SR25 ii comes in? Although the edges may upset you while a case makes it heavier again. But the device itself is only 178 grams.

I'm looking at Cayin RU6 USB R2R Portable DAC are they decent? Wanting to use it with my Microsoft Surface ProX and maybe my Sony Zx507
I'm so happy with mine that it makes finding a real upgrade in overall sound while not losing out on R2R characteristics and portability a PITA. The first big R2R step up that is also very portable at only 142 grams could be the Hifiman R2R2000 Red but it's very hard to even find information about it and once you find it it's mostly a disturbing read. Not sure what's going on with that device and whether it's still on the market or not. They may have pulled it.

drftr

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #39,783 of 88,403
Isn't that where the SR25 ii comes in? Although the edges may upset you while a case makes it heavier again. But the device itself is only 178 grams.
No Android though. For commute purposes I need an all-in-one device that can also play videos. That said, I've always been curious to try A&K's 'entry level' players, going back to the AK70.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #39,785 of 88,403
Say there's this scientific experiment coming up and through gene manipulation you can grow a second set of ears that you can tune yourself. Would you do it???

drftr
DO it or not is the later thing, But where will we place the second set hehe?

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #39,786 of 88,403
I got myself to get the Tempotec Variations V6, and everyone praised it and it was a budget price tag, I have to try to experience all the hype surrounding it. Kinda impressed here as well.
I shared my comparison with HiBy RS2 on the Discover thread here:-
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17240793

I don't wish to spam Head-Fi with the same post on every thread, if you are interested you can read my comparison in the link above. Till then a beautiful eye-candy:-
V6 vs RS2.jpg

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #39,787 of 88,403
I got myself to get the Tempotec Variations V6, and everyone praised it and it was a budget price tag, I have to try to experience all the hype surrounding it. Kinda impressed here as well.
I shared my comparison with HiBy RS2 on the Discover thread here:-
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17240793

I don't wish to spam Head-Fi with the same post on every thread, if you are interested you can read my comparison in the link above. Till then a beautiful eye-candy:-
V6 vs RS2.jpg
Nice! I looked into that one just yesterday! I didn't find anything that made it really of interest other than price so I hope your review tells me how wrong I was :wink:

drftr

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #39,788 of 88,403
Nice! I looked into that one just yesterday! I didn't find anything that made it really of interest other than price so I hope your review tells me how wrong I was :wink:

drftr
Haha very good player at a budget bro. Liking it a lot now a days.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #39,789 of 88,403
78F566B9-50A4-423C-90B9-32FA77572C68.JPEG

I shipped the Mentor out to the next tour participant a few days ago and have been on the road since then. Here are a few more thoughts. The Mentor Multiverse is an unequivocally great IEM. The BCD is summit-fi lending it supreme imaging capabilities-- it really feels like you're listening to a full size headphone. Sound is thick and bodied to my ears-- in terms of tuning it is excellent something of a cross of the VE8 (rich mids) and Phonix (mid-centric, amazing vocals)...then with the BCD kicking it up to the stratosphere. Sound on the whole is a nice balance of emotional and technical with perhaps a slight nod to the technical. Piano timbre and impact is a major highlight-- probably the best I've ever heard, as are female vocals. Renders any romantic mid-centric BA IEM without BCD basically irrelevant in my opinion. Bass is solid but would probably be my least favorite element of the sound. It's really good but even with the BCD factored in it doesn't quite give me the density and grip I enjoy with a planar or DD and as such this would be the main reason I'm not considering buying one-- if I spend that kind of money there definitely needs to be a DD or planar in the mix. YMMV there. Imaging and realism of scale makes it feel you're in the presence with live instruments-- this is uncanny and unique in my experience with IEMs. I don't think it competes with Traillii really-- Mentor is approximating a full size DD headphone but Traillii is closer in spirit to a planar headphone imho.

Both Mentor and Traillii impress like full size headphones. Based on my very limited experiences with full size Mentor falls closer in spirit to something like a Verite C and Traillii like a Susvara. There is a lot of audio memory hand waving here and I've never actually a/b'd the Bird and Mentor. Traillii has more of that certain "pristine" quality to the sound I associate with planars and Mentor has more of a "meat on the bone" sound in the mids that I associate with DDs. YMMV and all that.
imo, barring new toy syndrome, I think mentor shines on its own against Traillii. Having mentor for a couple of weeks now, going back to Traillii is a little stale if you get use to mentor's thickness. I would say mentor compliments Traillii soundwise, quite a different listen

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #39,790 of 88,403
imo, barring new toy syndrome, I think mentor shines on its own against Traillii. Having mentor for a couple of weeks now, going back to Traillii is a little stale if you get use to mentor's thickness. I would say mentor compliments Traillii soundwise, quite a different listen
Thickness just as in note weight? Or...

drftr

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #39,791 of 88,403
Say there's this scientific experiment coming up and through gene manipulation you can grow a second set of ears that you can tune yourself. Would you do it???

drftr
Nah I'll take a HUD where I can run Foobar2K and have ambient mode. Cut out the entire chain and wire it straight into my auditory nerves

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #39,794 of 88,403
Got a new 12-IEM Van Nuys case today :) (thanks @lycos for arranging)

I love these VN cases. I like their understated look and I find them super functional, easy to clean and keep my IEM’s very secure.

3D3E58E3-11F8-47D3-94BB-C0339DEBE58C.jpeg
Bro what is the difference for Ody compared to Xe6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back