The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #39,796 of 88,426
Like the KR5?

drftr
actually haven't heard KR5, but I would assume so since I haven't seen any comments about anyone prefering KR5 to mentor yet

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #39,797 of 88,426
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #39,799 of 88,426
Bro what is the difference for Ody compared to Xe6?
Great question, I’m still trying to work it out myself 🤭 Haven’t had all that much listening time since Odyssey arrived so I haven’t done enough comparing with XE6 yet. I did briefly compare them last week and felt that they’re broadly going for a similar sound but XE6 is a little bit warmer, with slightly smoother treble and not as much sub bass as Odyssey. I’ll spend some time this week comparing them more closely and report back. :)
Perhaps wait for the new Sony?

https://wooaudio.com/sources/sony-nw-zx707

drftr
I’m looking forward to the new Sony’s :) the ZX707 prototype/renders looks great and hopefully Sony have sorted out the battery issues from ZX507.

Btw that Woo Audio product page is strange lol. It’s basically a ZX300 description and images, but with ZX707 occasionally replacing the word ZX300. There’s more reliable info on the Walkman blog if you haven’t seen it already :)

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2022/10/new-sony-a-and-zx-walkmans-are-coming.html?m=1

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #39,800 of 88,426
Great question, I’m still trying to work it out myself 🤭 Haven’t had much listening time since Odyssey arrived so I haven’t done much comparing with XE6 yet. I did briefly compare them last week and felt that they’re broadly going for a similar sound but XE6 is a little bit warmer, with slightly smoother treble and not as much as sub bass as Odyssey. I’ll spend some time this week comparing them more closely and report back. :)

I’m looking forward to the new Sony’s :) the ZX707 prototype/renders looks great and hopefully Sony have sorted out the battery issues from ZX507.

Btw that Woo Audio product page is strange lol. It’s basically a ZX300 description and images, but with ZX707 occasionally replacing the word ZX300. There’s more reliable info on the Walkman blog if you haven’t seen it already :)

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2022/10/new-sony-a-and-zx-walkmans-are-coming.html?m=1

Yeah I was looking at that Woo Audio page with initial confusion on the similarity in appearance to the ZX300 before it clicked - they even forgot to replace one instance of ZX300 :)

Curious on ZX707 and look forward to more info.

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #39,801 of 88,426
78F566B9-50A4-423C-90B9-32FA77572C68.JPEG

I shipped the Mentor out to the next tour participant a few days ago and have been on the road since then. Here are a few more thoughts. The Mentor Multiverse is an unequivocally great IEM. The BCD is summit-fi lending it supreme imaging capabilities-- it really feels like you're listening to a full size headphone. Sound is thick and bodied to my ears-- in terms of tuning it is excellent something of a cross of the VE8 (rich mids) and Phonix (mid-centric, amazing vocals)...then with the BCD kicking it up to the stratosphere. Sound on the whole is a nice balance of emotional and technical with perhaps a slight nod to the technical. Piano timbre and impact is a major highlight-- probably the best I've ever heard, as are female vocals. Renders any romantic mid-centric BA IEM without BCD basically irrelevant in my opinion. Bass is solid but would probably be my least favorite element of the sound. It's really good but even with the BCD factored in it doesn't quite give me the density and grip I enjoy with a planar or DD and as such this would be the main reason I'm not considering buying one-- if I spend that kind of money there definitely needs to be a DD or planar in the mix. YMMV there. Imaging and realism of scale makes it feel you're in the presence with live instruments-- this is uncanny and unique in my experience with IEMs. I don't think it competes with Traillii really-- Mentor is approximating a full size DD headphone but Traillii is closer in spirit to a planar headphone imho.

Both Mentor and Traillii impress like full size headphones. Based on my very limited experiences with full size Mentor falls closer in spirit to something like a Verite C and Traillii like a Susvara. There is a lot of audio memory hand waving here and I've never actually a/b'd the Bird and Mentor. Traillii has more of that certain "pristine" quality to the sound I associate with planars and Mentor has more of a "meat on the bone" sound in the mids that I associate with DDs. YMMV and all that.
Hmm, this is great Jeff. Thinking this could be a compliment to the Bird, based on the differences you highlight. Good stuff. Looking forward to hearing the Mentor again.

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #39,802 of 88,426

Oof! I didn't even see that and was glad finally a pic had shown up other than empty housings. But having previously seen that the 707 was way more squared than the 507 an alarm bell should have gone off, so tnx for acting as one 😎 Will check out your link!

EDIT: Turns out that page was the one I'd seen before! Time for a strong coffee I guess. I'll leave the egg coffee that I just spotted for tomorrow!

drftr

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #39,803 of 88,426
Greetings fellow Coolerians! I have finally published my initial impressions of the 64 Audio Fourté Blanc here

85EAA657-57AA-4071-8A78-904E916E1526.jpeg

Another huge thanks to the guys over at Bay Bloor Radio for the demo time!
If you’re ever at the Downtown Toronto, make sure to visit the shop!

Nov 13, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #39,804 of 88,426
I think I'm going to hold of on buying a DAP or DAC/amp until a new device appears that betters my RU6 on most metrics, is R-2R, and quite a bit lighter than the RS6.

Am I correct thinking that only these 4 are the R-2R brands to keep an eye on? Or is there more?

Cayin
Hiby
Hifiman
Luxury & Precision

Tnx...

drftr

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #39,805 of 88,426
Eyeing this next year. Hopefully they'll have a demo this December at Portafes

Yeah I was looking at that Woo Audio page with initial confusion on the similarity in appearance to the ZX300 before it clicked - they even forgot to replace one instance of ZX300 :)

Curious on ZX707 and look forward to more info.

Will it sound warm as 507?!?
I’m curious to try M2 brothers more

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #39,806 of 88,426
Will it sound warm as 507?!?
I’m curious to try M2 brothers more

1ZM2 firmly on the radar... I can see it under my Christmas tree with my name on it :) - Especially as I don't have any higher-end IEM calling me at the moment - well, I can't deny a curiosity still for Perpetua...

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #39,807 of 88,426
I'm looking at Cayin RU6 USB R2R Portable DAC are they decent? Wanting to use it with my Microsoft Surface ProX and maybe my Sony Zx507

— 64 Audio U6t x Cayin RU6 —
The combo the year 2022 will have to beat

If you like an analog, organic, tuning — it's tough to beat set in NOS and miles ahead of the A&K SR25 MKII or uncapped Sony ZX507 for example (not to mention its price, the flexibility, etc). It also gets close to my uncapped WM1AM2 which share an R-2R tonality despite having a delta-sigma DAC.

The Cayin RU6 is by far the best audio purchase I made in this hobby by a country mile (I bought it twice after selling it once — and so was my U6t which look like they're going to land back in my hands as I increasingly regret selling them given how comfortable and great they sounded with the MX module).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #39,808 of 88,426
If you like an analog, organic, tuning — it's tough to beat set in NOS and miles ahead of the A&K SR25 MKII or uncapped Sony ZX507 for example (not to mention its price, the flexibility, etc). It also gets close to my uncapped WM1AM2 which share an R-2R tonality despite having a delta-sigma DAC.

The Cayin RU6 is by far the best audio purchase I made in this hobby by a country mile (I bought it twice after selling it once — and so was my U6t which increasingly look like their going to land back in my hands as I increasingly regret selling them given how comfortable and great they sounded with the MX module).

I bought RU6 a few weeks ago but only really properly tried it in the last few days - very nice indeed, listening now with KR5 while buying a few albums on Bandcamp.

20221113_123644.jpg

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #39,809 of 88,426
1ZM2 firmly on the radar... I can see it under my Christmas tree with my name on it :) - Especially as I don't have any higher-end IEM calling me at the moment - well, I can't deny a curiosity still for Perpetua...
No interest in what is probably the main single DD competitor, the Acoustune HS2000MX? I think you'd love its mids and treble, although it may be bass shy for you with the standard acoustic chamber.

The Cayin RU6 is by far the best audio purchase I made in this hobby by a country mile (I bought it twice after selling it once — and so was my U6t which increasingly look like their going to land back in my hands as I increasingly regret selling them given how comfortable and great they sounded with the MX module).
Very nice to read just hours after I decided to keep my RU6, as I don't see any reasonably similar sounding device sub $1,500 that is portable enough for me. I'll focus on a great cable upgrade instead.

drftr

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #39,810 of 88,426
No interest in what is probably the main single DD competitor, the Acoustune HS2000MX? I think you'd love its mids and treble, although it may be bass shy for you with the standard acoustic chamber.

Oh yes, forgot about that - definitely still an interest there too. I'm less hung up now tbh on what a DD does or doesn't have, more curious on how they can perform in various ways which inevitably end up serving some parts of my library well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back