The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 7, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #31,471 of 87,748
@Lumithium isn’t too big, but not portable.

882061CD-A00B-424D-B16F-9DA2950B3EE2.jpeg794EEFB0-E832-4859-BD05-5589AE3FFF4D.jpeg
The USB-C route is interesting. Anyone know the reasoning behind it? Cleaner supply? Can't see it being for convenience when you'll need a hefty PD charger plugged into the wall.

@Whitigir Thoughts?

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #31,472 of 87,748
Looks snazzy...I kind of vowed myself off modular players after the n6ii but i'll await impressions of this one with baited breath.
I think Cayin is working on N6ii successor as well, maybe it will come next year

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #31,473 of 87,748
I do not know what type of vinyl systems some of you are talking about. A top vinyl system is quiet. There can certainly be the occasional pop or click, but they should be rare.
The system itself may be quiet, but it's dependent upon the care you take to remove and rejacket your LP's. With time, the wear on vinyl grooves creates a certain amount of noise, no matter the quality of cartridge you use. IMO

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #31,474 of 87,748
He wants TOTL I think.
Okay, it's just that sometimes I forget what TOTL is for me and what TOTL is for you guys :sweat_smile:

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #31,475 of 87,748
what the heck is totl? is this flagship, the most expensive, arbitrary the best of class? Seen this term for years never realized what the heck, course tube rolling was a mystery.....

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #31,476 of 87,748
what the heck is totl? is this flagship, the most expensive, arbitrary the best of class? Seen this term for years never realized what the heck, course tube rolling was a mystery.....
I remember that when I bought the Mest it was considered TOTL in many threads on this forum. Now very few people would consider it that way (I do).

And it wasn't that long ago...

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #31,477 of 87,748
I think what he's alluding to here is how he is used to hearing the song, either from childhood memories or a car rig or 2-channel system. We all grow up hearing songs a certain way on certain systems, and more often than not, even if they were s*****y systems, we still remember them fondly because we connect our feelings at the time to the music. Fast forward a few (or many) years, and we're now 'audiophiles' with fancy gear, and listening to the same tracks doesn't always give us that same 'feeling'. If our old system had chesty bass, that's part of the experience we remember, so hearing the same track on a reference IEM with BA bass might be significantly more technical and resolving, even 'correct', but the feeling's not there. YMMV and all that.

WM1Z? 🤔
Yup that's definitely part of what I'm saying.

I think sometimes we put the cart before the horse and focus on "technicalities" vs getting lost in the music and bringing back those childhood experiences.

I did that with mqa in the past. I was so excited about mqa, than realized none of the songs i grew up listening to were in mqa format. I ended up having alot of mqa quality stuff that i don't even listen to because i wanted to focus on the technology instead of the music.

Also, a good engineer understands their audience weren't listening to their music in a multi million dollar studio. I've heard top engineers explain that they want their must to sound good in regular car and home systems as well as scaling to high end systems.

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #31,478 of 87,748
Just sharin' the TZ700 good vibes... These tiny things put out such a huge scale of sound it's remarkable.

TZ700_WM1A.jpg

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #31,479 of 87,748
TOTL = Top Of The Line, which generally means the most expensive in the range from that vendor. Synonymous with flagship, although nowadays many people consider TOTL to generally represent 'high-end' but not necessarily flagship. TOTL also generally means above a certain price tier, but that varies depending on who you ask.

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #31,480 of 87,748
RIP BB.

I always thought in Bobby Bland delivery I heard where Janis Joplin got her inspiration on how to deliver a vocal. He is an amazing singer, recording quality for his tracks can be lacking unfortunately.

I also had 8 track not portable though, one car had it when I was young. The albums we had were The Who’s Next, Styx Grand Illusion, the original Star Wars movie, and Eagles Hotel California. They are the ones I remember anyway.
That's a perfect example of bringing back childhood memories. I don't listen to the blues that often but my dad does all the time. Whenever i hear it my emotions get strong. I can remember going on long trips with my parents and looking out the window to see gas is 89 cents. Also makes me remember my dad hitting the gas peddle to send gas to the carburetor so the car could start especially in the winter.

It makes me remember and feel like a kid again going to family reunions and having a very strong connection with family.

That’s really what this hobby and music is about to me. Bringing back the best experiences and memories. The iems that can bring back those feelings and emotions the best are the winners in my book. If an iem can bring back those feelings an experiences, that trumps technicalities imho.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #31,481 of 87,748
In other news-- what do people around here think of and mean by "dynamics". That's another one of those terms that I see used in a variety of ways and I don't yet have a clear sense of what it means.
Dynamics to me means two different properties of the source music. 1) congestion lots going on at the same time 2) fast amplitude changes that occur frequently and in succession.

I agree with @gLer about TOTL textbook def; for any manufacturer it is their top of the line in isolation from all other manufacturers.

We do tend to use this TOTL term to apply across manufacturers though and for that use I would say it is drivers that have the least number of compromises for the profile you like or for the broader group the profile most people like.
The later is what gets us into debate.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #31,482 of 87,748
Also, a good engineer understands their audience weren't listening to their music in a multi million dollar studio. I've heard top engineers explain that they want their must to sound good in regular car and home systems as well as scaling to high end systems.

That last part is absolutely true and one of the reasons studio monitors (actual speakers) are flat tuned. When you do the mixing of the song during the production, you don't want to listen with monitors that introduce coloring to the original track and then applying effects to compensate for that. If the mix sounds good on flat-tuned monitors, it will scale up and should sound good on any system. Then, when you are listening in the car or on your fun-tuned headphones/iems, you, as a listener, can apply the EQ to "correct" it per your own preference.

And btw, as I mentioned a while ago, back in my bedroom music production days (a hobby from a previous lifetime), all my pre-masters submitted to a studio were always finalized in the car, a very useful/helpful listening environment due to a sound reflection in enclosed space to make sure all the tracks are mixed properly in the song :)

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #31,483 of 87,748
For me, they do share some similarities but jewel is the more refined / polished version.
I may have to reevaluate my desire for the Jewel. My wallet thanks you.
That last part is absolutely true and one of the reasons studio monitors (actual speakers) are flat tuned. When you do the mixing of the song during the production, you don't want to listen with monitors that introduce coloring to the original track and then applying effects to compensate for that. If the mix sounds good on flat-tuned monitors, it will scale up and should sound good on any system. Then, when you are listening in the car or on your fun-tuned headphones/iems, you, as a listener, can apply the EQ to "correct" it per your own preference.

And btw, as I mentioned a while ago, back in my bedroom music production days (a hobby from a previous lifetime), all my pre-masters submitted to a studio were always finalized in the car, a very useful/helpful listening environment due to a sound reflection in enclosed space to make sure all the tracks are mixed properly in the song :)
NS-10's, a car, and an iPod. Mix is totally covered, lol.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #31,484 of 87,748
I started the weekend with the IE600 and planned to listen to other gears and finalize some reviews on sunday, but due to health constraints spent the entire day sleeping.

Due to the change in weather in my city over the past few days(it's been raining here), I am all feverish and feeling chills all over my body. The same is with my wife, so the reviews will have to wait another day.
Currently ending the weekend again with the IE600, IDK if I will find any single dd again that beats this baby
🙂

saazx.jpeg

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #31,485 of 87,748
I use Traillii with LPGT and... Oh my god, it's an incredible combination.
The best I've heard. Touch transmits the recording in the most detailed and natural sound. Traillii adds a bit of emotion. And it's just a crazy synergistic combo.

So if you're looking to upgrade the 6k to LPGT, I'm sure you'll be happy with the gain.

I compared LPGT with LP6 (not titanium), and in my opinion, first of all, the difference is quite small.
Secondly, it is in favor of LPGT if naturalness is needed.
LP6 is slightly fatter, meatier and more comfortable at high frequencies. I don't think that's what Trallii needs.
I listen to Traillii with both LPGT Ti and LP6 Ti.
With LPGT Ti it is listening that makes you jump out of your chair. Very technical, very precise and detailed. Three dimensional and I must say very fast. With LP6 Ti everything becomes slightly "sweeter" a little less open. It remains a more relaxing and intimate listening. Warmer and more enveloping. It really depends on what kind of music you listen to. With electronics, psy-Trance etc ..... with LPGT you catch many small details with a more attentive and demanding listening. With the LP6 it is a little more relaxed, but the sound acquires warmth and fullness.
However, I have the distinct impression that LPGT Ti delivers more current than LP6 Ti. When I put on Isabella and or Szalayi, LPGT drives them more smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back