The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #31,261 of 90,052
Okay. As far as I know, you are the first here who bought it after they heard it. @aaf evo bought it, but he buys everything before he hear's it. Can't wait to hear it.
Having some quiet time was a huge factor. Based on simply listening on the show floor wouldn't have been enough. It's too chaotic to appreciate how good Storm is. Conversely the first time I tried the jomo gt600 I was crazy for them. On a second listen those emotions cooled a little. Again I need quiet time to really assess if that's a buy for me or not.

My only annoyance is not being able to compare to the Jewel. The only totl iem I still haven't tried.

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #31,263 of 90,052
Having some quiet time was a huge factor. Based on simply listening on the show floor wouldn't have been enough. It's too chaotic to appreciate how good Storm is. Conversely the first time I tried the jomo gt600 I was crazy for them. On a second listen those emotions cooled a little. Again I need quiet time to really assess if that's a buy for me or not.

My only annoyance is not being able to compare to the Jewel. The only totl iem I still haven't tried.

Yeah show conditions definitely are hard to yield reliable impressions. I have also found that I don't get reliable impressions unless I can A/B test IEMs against each other. When I heard the IE600, I thought it was great until I A/B tested it against the IE900.

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #31,264 of 90,052
Technically WeWork or a space like that still exists.
Yeah, but we want to be in the same location.

Last year, one headfier had a room for sharing and listening to gear. Since it was a local group, I would be surprised if they don't have it again.

A conference room would be great because it would give us a place to meet and to listen to our own stuff as well as show stuff and we can go into and out of it.

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #31,265 of 90,052
Lunch time mental reset...

Image from iOS.jpg

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #31,266 of 90,052
Yeah, but we want to be in the same location.

Last year, one headfier had a room for sharing and listening to gear. Since it was a local group, I would be surprised if they don't have it again.

A conference room would be great because it would give us a place to meet and to listen to our own stuff as well as show stuff and we can go into and out of it.

There’s conferences rooms for rent in Irvine, here’s an example…

https://www.peerspace.com/pages/listings/5fbd6ca523b751000c0820e8?sort_order=16

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #31,267 of 90,052
Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #31,268 of 90,052
Received the UM Mason FS today and wanted to share first impressions.

Out of the box it did not wow me. But I think that's not what these IEMs are about. Later more on that.

Generally it sounds quite neutral, definitely not warm. Many reviews mention them as the king of vocals. And I can definitely sign that. Vocals are superbly clear and very emotional. It's definitely the stand-out feature of these IEMs.

The bass is there when demanded. And can hit quit well. It is nicely textured and clean, but it comes with the typical BA timbre. It does not interfere with the mids at all.
8/10

The mids are highly detailed and well textured. But there are IEMs that have even more texture, e.g. Trailli, Odin or Phönix. As said, vocals are so good, you can hear every nuance, breath etc. It involves you quite emotionally, even it is a neutral oriented set.
9/10

The treble is more on the relaxed side, altought there seem to be some smaller peaks. But it is definitely not sibiliant. It does not have a sugar like or silky treble. It's more analytical but still enjoyable.
7/10

Regarding the technicalities: The soundstage is crazy wide. I believe it is the widest soundstage I have heared in any IEM. I don't have the Traillii here at the moment for comparion, but I think it is wider than the Traillii. It is very detailed, especially vocals and the bass has great texture too. But the treble is a bit lacking (maybe recessed is the better word). Instrument separation is very good. I don't find the general timbre very accurate. It's definitely lacking compared to the Traillii.

The more I hear it, the more I like it. I need to give it definitely more time. I am mainly searching for a complement for my Traillii, and I like the neutral sound of the Mason paired with it's great technicalities. But it is somehow not the best all-rounder, some songs on my playlists sound great and I seem to find things in tracks I haven't experienced before, but also many songs are just ok.

1659708297611.png

Songs like PANG! - Don't Speak sound incredible on the Mason FS.

1659708783835.png
Congrats! It’s really a nice pair!
Thanks for the detailed impressions also.
I was wondering which PW cable is it? Moloch? Is it the stock cable?

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #31,269 of 90,052
Congrats! It’s really a nice pair!
Thanks for the detailed impressions also.
I was wondering which PW cable is it? Moloch? Is it the stock cable?
It is the Moloch. I like it, it's flexible and of good quality. I bought it to colour match the Mason but horribly failed :sweat_smile: It is also the lowest resistance cable I have ever measured, beats the stormbreaker, traillii cable and others.

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #31,272 of 90,052
Fantastic compilation for anyone into Electronic finesse

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #31,273 of 90,052
Aug 5, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #31,275 of 90,052
I will maintain a list of Watercooler attendees. I will try to see if I can get some 3d printed name tags so we can find each other.

Who from the Watercooler are planning to attend CanJam Socal? We need to have a drink somewhere.

@HiFiHawaii808
@discord
@Rockwell75
@Natesdailies
@wolfstar76
@stacey
@morserotonin

@monduvo (please confirm)

Anyone else?

Given the line up of vendors and the hints of announcements so far, this show should be epic.
Count me in. I’d love to meet some of you fine folks in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back