The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #29,596 of 88,246
Anyone notice the strength of the USD to the Euro and GBP lately? The USD and Euro are at par and the GBP is only 1.20 USD. Haven't seen these exchange rates in a long time. Good time for Americans to buy. This is surprising given the state of the US economy and inflation rate.
It's crazy. I have to be careful with selling, I just can't budge the GBP price, it's nuts!

I ordered a few items from the US too, that was painful too...

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #29,597 of 88,246
I think the main issue for Europe is a fear of recession because of potential lack of gas and oil availability which might directly impact business operations.

Also the Fed has already raised interest rates while the ECB hasn't yet. If the ECB tightens monetary policy then that might move things around a bit. Again if the EU goes into recession that will affect things but the exchange rates can probably be stabilized with the right measures for now.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #29,598 of 88,246
The US is just beginning its interest rate increases. The Fed rate is 1.75% and we have 9.1% inflation. It should probably be around 6% now. It just misread inflation and is a full year or so behind the curve. I wonder how low the Euro can go.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #29,599 of 88,246
Anyone notice the strength of the USD to the Euro and GBP lately? The USD and Euro are at par and the GBP is only 1.20 USD. Haven't seen these exchange rates in a long time. Good time for Americans to buy. This is surprising given the state of the US economy and inflation rate.
Honestly, at this point I’m more concerned about my job then going on a European vacation.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #29,600 of 88,246
Honestly, at this point I’m more concerned about my job then going on a European vacation.
I hear you. We have the most unusual economy where at the same time we have record low unemployment with millions of unfilled job vacancies, we have people fearing for their jobs while their real income goes down by 9% due to inflation.

As an employer facing high inflation and an economic storm ahead, I am maintaining a very cautious set of initiatives to navigate these tricky waters and diversify against business risk. Best way to do it is with a strong balance sheet that can weather any storm, keep costs down, and do everything I can to keep my employees feeling safe and giving them increased compensation to offset this inflation.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #29,602 of 88,246
Jul 19, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #29,603 of 88,246
Yes. The euro is at its lowest value since 2002 while the U.S. dollar is at the highest value during this same duration. Most of the G7 countries currencies been devalued. This chart from April:

Screenshot_20220719-142216_Gallery.jpg

One factor is the result of endless money printing and access to cheap credit. For example, during the pandemic, around 20% of CAD was printed in 18 months. Another one is by supply disruptions causing too much money to chase few goods. You saw this in anything chip based (cars). The U.S. fed has to step in with quantitative tightening to prevent hyperinflation.

The disparity between the USD and Euro is there because the EU cant hike rates as aggressively without bankrupting the southern EU countries. Russian sanctions on oil is also hitting the EU harder than U.S.

Savers are becoming winners again. Speculative luxury goods like Rolex have been coming down lately. I would imagine the same when it comes to niche audio equipment.

Screenshot_20220719-142025_Gallery.jpg

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #29,604 of 88,246
Yes. The euro is at its lowest value since 2002 while the U.S. dollar is at the highest value during this same duration. Most of the G7 countries currencies been devalued. This chart from April:

Screenshot_20220719-142216_Gallery.jpg

One factor is the result of endless money printing and access to cheap credit. For example, during the pandemic, around 20% of CAD was printed in 18 months. Another one is by supply disruptions causing too much money to chase few goods. You saw this in anything chip based (cars). The U.S. fed has to step in with quantitative tightening to prevent hyperinflation.

The disparity between the USD and Euro is there because the EU cant hike rates as aggressively without bankrupting the southern EU countries. Russian sanctions on oil is also hitting the EU harder than U.S.

Savers are becoming winners again. Speculative luxury goods like Rolex have been coming down lately. I would imagine the same when it comes to niche audio equipment.

Screenshot_20220719-142025_Gallery.jpg
fixed mortgages has crazy rates now, almost 4% if I’d ask money now for my home, but fortunately I did when we had negative rates so I’m paying only 0,75% rate ☺️
Sometimes a joy…

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #29,605 of 88,246
fixed mortgages has crazy rates now, almost 4% if I’d ask money now for my home, but fortunately I did when we had negative rates so I’m paying only 0,75% rate ☺️
Sometimes a joy…
Sock away the money you save on your low mortgage and you will have your Jewel in no time.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #29,606 of 88,246
Sock away the money you save on your low mortgage and you will have your Jewel in no time.
Unfortunately life cost a lot more, I think you read about gasoline and electricity bills.
In February I spent x2.5 times compared to feb 2021 and I was on enhanced protection market.
I changed my provider when catastrophic bills started😅
Gasoline in 2021 cost 1.4€/L now 2.3€/L 😓
But this awful situation will change and if not I’ll find a way to get Jewel too😅

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #29,607 of 88,246
I'm loving it. Not great for goods but I've got a large chunk of change in stocks which are US based which I'm looking to dump in the not too distant future which will net me a higher return.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #29,608 of 88,246

This guy would find a way to profit.

1AB91A33-44F2-47BC-A09D-FD46ED0C064E.jpeg

He has to go with CIEM.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #29,609 of 88,246
I'm loving it. Not great for goods but I've got a large chunk of change in stocks which are US based which I'm looking to dump in the not too distant future which will net me a higher return.
I am thinking about buying Euros on the Forex to lock in low exchange rates for future purchases.

I would consider investing in European stocks, but when I have done it in the past, I got socked by a lot of extra taxes that I didn't like at all.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #29,610 of 88,246
my long term strategy is long term, however with each decade, fortunately, it becomes less long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back