The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 19, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #29,581 of 88,254
Thanks for the Brett Young tip. Although we alone listen to Country, you did a nice background on Eric Church. His albums just keep getting better and better.
Any other folks here like Country???
Yes, I do!
And perhaps, more surprisingly, I'm British :D

I have to say, over here - as far as I'm aware - country music is pretty much regarded as a joke by the majority and completely ignored.
I felt similarly for most of my life, but as I got increasingly into acoustic singer-songwriter stuff (Shawn Mullins for example), I kept bumping up against country, whether it be country-esque tracks from artists I already liked, or them citing certain country singers as big influences etc.

Finally, thanks to some posts in another thread here late last year I think, I found some songs that I liked and started looking around for more!
I spent a bunch of money buying hi-res FLAC versions of the albums wherever possible and have started to build up a collection :)
Brett Young is one of my favourites, and from the album originally posted, I like "1, 2, 3 Mississippi" the best :)
My other favourite tracks all come from his eponymous debut album (although I like all his albums):
"Sleep without you". Just a pure feel-good track and a pretty good track for non-Country folks to start out with :)

Another feel-good track, this one is "Makin' me say"

And finally, "Left side of leaving". Not only a great song (IMHO) but really clever lyrics too :D

With regards to the other question of top 3 genres, that's a tough one.

I have pretty eclectic tastes and on a daily basis I listen to a wide variety, making choosing a top 3 quite tricky.
Whilst I enjoy listening to albums in their entirety still, I commonly divide my music up into playlists, and the ones to which I listen the most would be:
"Relaxing - Warm", which is a mixture of acoustic singer-songwriter mostly, with some laid back pop, Chinese pop, Bollywood, jazz and classical thrown into the mix
and
"Summer", which is mainly feel-good pop, rock, hip-hop, Country, Motown and RnB, with (again) bits of Chinese pop, K-Pop, Bollywood and random things thrown in for good measure!

Overall,I'd probably have to say:
1) Acoustic singer-songwriter and relaxing music
2) Rock (and pop, since I have both in the same playlist)
3) Chinese pop music and/or singer-songwriter

In recent weeks, I have been focused on expanding my classical and jazz knowledge/collections, as I like things from these genres, but know comparatively little about them :)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #29,582 of 88,254
Yes, I do!
And perhaps, more surprisingly, I'm British :D

I have to say, over here - as far as I'm aware - country music is pretty much regarded as a joke by the majority and completely ignored.
I felt similarly for most of my life, but as I got increasingly into acoustic singer-songwriter stuff (Shawn Mullins for example), I kept bumping up against country, whether it be country-esque tracks from artists I already liked, or them citing certain country singers as big influences etc.

Finally, thanks to some posts in another thread here late last year I think, I found some songs that I liked and started looking around for more!
I spent a bunch of money buying hi-res FLAC versions of the albums wherever possible and have started to build up a collection :)
Brett Young is one of my favourites, and from the album originally posted, I like "1, 2, 3 Mississippi" the best :)
My other favourite tracks all come from his eponymous debut album (although I like all his albums):
"Sleep without you". Just a pure feel-good track and a pretty good track for non-Country folks to start out with :)

Another feel-good track, this one is "Makin' me say"

And finally, "Left side of leaving". Not only a great song (IMHO) but really clever lyrics too :D

With regards to the other question of top 3 genres, that's a tough one.

I have pretty eclectic tastes and on a daily basis I listen to a wide variety, making choosing a top 3 quite tricky.
Whilst I enjoy listening to albums in their entirety still, I commonly divide my music up into playlists, and the ones to which I listen the most would be:
"Relaxing - Warm", which is a mixture of acoustic singer-songwriter mostly, with some laid back pop, Chinese pop, Bollywood, jazz and classical thrown into the mix
and
"Summer", which is mainly feel-good pop, rock, hip-hop, Country, Motown and RnB, with (again) bits of Chinese pop, K-Pop, Bollywood and random things thrown in for good measure!

Overall,I'd probably have to say:
1) Acoustic singer-songwriter and relaxing music
2) Rock (and pop, since I have both in the same playlist)
3) Chinese pop music and/or singer-songwriter

In recent weeks, I have been focused on expanding my classical and jazz knowledge/collections, as I like things from these genres, but know comparatively little about them :)

You should try Florida/Georgia Line, Osborne Brothers, Derick Bently.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #29,583 of 88,254
My other favourite tracks all come from his eponymous debut album (although I like all his albums)
one of my all-time favourite country songs is Paint Me a Birmingham (Easton Corbin · Tracy Lawrence)

Jul 19, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #29,584 of 88,254
Ich habe dieses Gefühl schon lange geteilt. Manchmal sendet das Universum deine Nöte, nicht um dich aus der Bahn zu werfen, sondern um dich dazu zu bringen, einen Schritt zurückzutreten, um eine Perspektive zu bekommen. Wir sind so oft in der Mehr-mehr-mehr-jetzt-jetzt-Routine gefangen, dass wir buchstäblich den Wald vor lauter Bäumen vermissen und die einfachen, schönen Freuden um uns herum nicht erkennen.

Ich habe in den letzten Tagen einige Zeit damit verbracht, bekannte Lieblingsalben abzuspielen, und mir wurde klar, dass ich mir in der ganzen Zeit, in der ich mein „endgültiges“ Setup hatte, das heute 7 Monate dauert, nicht wirklich die Zeit genommen hatte, diese anzuhören . Und siehe da, all die Aufregung, Magie und emotionale Verbindung, die ich mit der Musik hatte, ist immer noch da, nur frisch und neu, weil ich sie so lange nicht gehört habe (mit Ausnahme von zufälligen Tracks, die zum Review seziert wurden).

Es ist nicht so, dass wir neue Sachen brauchen, sondern dass wir das aus den Augen verlieren, was wir bereits haben, und uns „langweilen“, immer wieder dasselbe zu hören. Ich habe mehr Musik in meiner Bibliothek, als ich hoffen kann, in meiner Freizeit zu hören, wahrscheinlich in meinem Leben, und dennoch ignoriere ich sie oft wegen des Nervenkitzels der Jagd, damit ich dieselben Tracks mit neuer Ausrüstung und immer wieder hören kann Teilen Sie die winzigen Unterschiede mit anderen Verfolgern im Internet.

Mit ein wenig Perspektive ist es nicht wirklich wichtig, was ich in meine Ohren stecke, sondern was ich meiner Seele füttere, was letztendlich bereichert, belohnt und verbindet.

I've long shared that sentiment. Sometimes the universe sends your hardships not to derail you, but to get you to take a step back to get some perspective. So often we find ourselves trapped in the more-more-more now-now-now routine that we literally miss the wood for the trees and fail to recognise the simple, beautiful pleasures all around us.

I spent some time over the last few days playing back familiar, favourite albums, and realised that I hadn't actually taken the time to listen to these in all the time I had my 'final' setup, which is going on 7 months today. Lo and behold, all the excitement, magic and emotional connection I had with the music is still there, only fresh and new for not having heard it for so long (except for random tracks dissected for reviewing).

It's not that we need new stuff, it's that we lose sight of what we already have, and get 'bored' of listening to the same thing over and over. I have more music in my library than what I can hope to listen to, at leisure, probably in my lifetime, and yet I often ignore it for the thrill of the chase so I can listen to the same tracks on repeat with new gear and share the minutae differences with fellow chasers on the Internet.

With a bit of perspective, it's not what I put in my ears that really matters, it's what I feed my soul that ultimately enriches, rewards and connects.
I agree with you 100 %. It's the same with me and I try to get back to the really important thing. I have a huge library from all genres of music and then listen to the same tracks over and over again for testing purposes. That's why now I'm trying to just listen to music, feel emotions and just enjoy it!

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #29,585 of 88,254
You guys know what? Auteur is the real MVP :p There I said it.

In my journey as an audio lover, I was lucky enough to audition a lot of good stuff including the HD600, HD650, Hifiman Arya, Ananda, HE1SE, Susvara, ZMF Verite Closed, and even the Sennheiser HE1(The list includes a few more) Thanks to the community here in my country and my good friends. HE1 is out of the league for the years to come because even 10 kidneys are not enough for it. HD800S is something I liked that will come someday into my collection to complement my auteur. Planars I like the Arya and Ananda, but they don't stand in front of ZMF Auteur for me. (Personal opinion). Auteur just sounds right, I mean I can sense it is colored, it has a slightly warmish tonality, but the soundstage depth is just exceptionally good, and the overall output is so musical, that it keeps me hooked on to the Auteur for hours.

auetier.jpg

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #29,586 of 88,254
I've long shared that sentiment. Sometimes the universe sends your hardships not to derail you, but to get you to take a step back to get some perspective. So often we find ourselves trapped in the more-more-more now-now-now routine that we literally miss the wood for the trees and fail to recognise the simple, beautiful pleasures all around us.
100% truth man. hardships are a part of life. And IMO an important part, they actually teach a lot and we get a new perspective in life. I used to enjoy going to sunrises, I remember waking up at like 5:45 because the sunrise was scheduled at 6, and reaching there in a hassle to grab a shot. Here's what I clicked about 8 years back. Colors in this image are actually original, very less ps was done on the raw image.
hk.jpeg

Jul 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #29,588 of 88,254
Anyone have any news on Oriolus Szalayi's cable?
is it suppose to be anything special? Can't remember the cable being special/different

Jul 19, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #29,589 of 88,254
No new IEM for me but I found a more rare and discontinued cable I was looking for
And that's more intriguing for me sometimes
It's shipped yesterday from Japan and will be here next week
I already have one with my Elysian Acoustics Labs X but wanted to try a 2 pin version:
Liquid Links Venom
223EB194-F09E-453A-953E-6C4CE124702B-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #29,592 of 88,254
You guys know what? Auteur is the real MVP :p There I said it.

In my journey as an audio lover, I was lucky enough to audition a lot of good stuff including the HD600, HD650, Hifiman Arya, Ananda, HE1SE, Susvara, ZMF Verite Closed, and even the Sennheiser HE1(The list includes a few more) Thanks to the community here in my country and my good friends. HE1 is out of the league for the years to come because even 10 kidneys are not enough for it. HD800S is something I liked that will come someday into my collection to complement my auteur. Planars I like the Arya and Ananda, but they don't stand in front of ZMF Auteur for me. (Personal opinion). Auteur just sounds right, I mean I can sense it is colored, it has a slightly warmish tonality, but the soundstage depth is just exceptionally good, and the overall output is so musical, that it keeps me hooked on to the Auteur for hours.

auetier.jpg
While I loved the Auteur's organic and smooth presentation, that day, out of the Sennheiser HDV820 amp, I preferred the HD820 over this. Despite being closed back, the midrange sounded more open, while Auteur's midrange sounded slightly thicker and slightly veiled.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #29,594 of 88,254
While I loved the Auteur's organic and smooth presentation, that day, out of the Sennheiser HDV820 amp, I preferred the HD820 over this. Despite being closed back, the midrange sounded more open, while Auteur's midrange sounded slightly thicker and slightly veiled.
I find HD800S to be better. HD820 treble is a no go for me. Sounds a bit peaky and unnatural hehe.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #29,595 of 88,254
Anyone notice the strength of the USD to the Euro and GBP lately? The USD and Euro are at par and the GBP is only 1.20 USD. Haven't seen these exchange rates in a long time. Good time for Americans to buy. This is surprising given the state of the US economy and inflation rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back