The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 9, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #26,716 of 88,437
I gleaned from the Fujiya show that it was going to be priced at about $1500...this is the only reason I'm considering it (beyond my love of Orioles). For myself I think I'm done with IEMs above $2K.
Would be much less than 1500$…

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #26,717 of 88,437
Would be much less than 1500$…

Wow really? Less than $1K would put it in blind buy territory for me. Was that the "good news" you were referring to? I'm hankering for more Oriolus in my life.

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #26,718 of 88,437

Allow me to introduce you to the engineering sample of Storm -- with sound/tuning finalized, won't be too much longer till the launch edition. I must say the aluminum shell, though not the actual material or final visual design, gives it an industrial look and feel, alluding more to the function than form, strikes all the right notes for me! After all, it's what I hear that matters most, not the looks! 😉
It looks a lot like the Symphonium Helios which is not a surprise at all. Pre-orders available by the end of month or early July.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #26,720 of 88,437
Apologies for dragging things OT again unless a segue back to coffee-related IEMs springs to mind, but in recent years I've started 'taking coffee seriously' (sounds terribly First World) and invested in a modest Baraza Encore & V60 setup.

Here in Melbourne if anything we have too much coffee culture, there's so many brands, beans & baristas we're spoiled for choice and everything these days is sustainably grown/imported though I tend to wonder how much of that is largely for the sake of marketing & branding, forgive my cynicism but it's hipster paradise down here.

At times wandering down my local supermarket aisle gliding past the endless varieties of Moccona I wonder if brewing at home is really worth the trouble. Particularly when the V60 seems to require an Act of God to nail to perfection, and the difference in flavour between getting it 100% right and 99.5% feels so frighteningly large. On the rare occasion the stars do align sublime flavour & sweetness awaits... it's the other 98/100 attempts that make you question your life choices.

I should admit defeat and buy an Aeropress which supposedly yields consistent results. There's something strangely compelling about the V60 ritual however which lies somewhere along the junction of art, science & possibly voodoo. Maybe I need to hum a mantra while brewing or focus my chi energy better, what do you guys think?
I think the secret is to first figure out what you like, then go about trying to find it--much easier to hit the target when you know where it is and can "see" it. My neighbor has her 'zen moment' digging out indivudal dandelions by their roots. I use a battery-powered herbicide sprayer to get rid of mine.....

Some folks love the ritual of preparing a cuppa (whether tea or coffee) and focus as much or more on that than the resulting beverage. Others pop a teabag in hot water, or hit the button on their K-Cup machine. To each their own. The decision come in when you realize that the results do vary depending on how much attention you pay to the details--but it is still up to you to decide where the trade-offs should be between, roughly speaking, quality and convenience. Great electric brewers do a wonderful job, but cost more $$ than a V60-style brewer ever will.... Your taste, sinsibilities and buidget factor in at that point.

The more moral/political aspect of it - who you buy from, how the beans are sourced, etc.. is a differnt matter, and probably is beyond the scope of discussion here.

Bottom line - if you are NOT enjoying yourself, you are doing it wrong!

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #26,721 of 88,437
I think the secret is to first figure out what you like, then go about trying to find it--much easier to hit the target when you know where it is and can "see" it. My neighbor has her 'zen moment' digging out indivudal dandelions by their roots. I use a battery-powered herbicide sprayer to get rid of mine.....

Some folks love the ritual of preparing a cuppa (whether tea or coffee) and focus as much or more on that than the resulting beverage. Others pop a teabag in hot water, or hit the button on their K-Cup machine. To each their own. The decision come in when you realize that the results do vary depending on how much attention you pay to the details--but it is still up to you to decide where the trade-offs should be between, roughly speaking, quality and convenience. Great electric brewers do a wonderful job, but cost more $$ than a V60-style brewer ever will.... Your taste, sinsibilities and buidget factor in at that point.

The more moral/political aspect of it - who you buy from, how the beans are sourced, etc.. is a differnt matter, and probably is beyond the scope of discussion here.

Bottom line - if you are NOT enjoying yourself, you are doing it wrong!
Interesting, I thought you were talking about IEM discovery, take out the couple references to coffee/tea and it applies.

I am still looking for different not incrementally better, otherwise the same. Unicorn hunting, very weary of falling for hype or infatuation of early adopters, willing to wait for pixie dust to settle.

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #26,722 of 88,437
Interesting, I thought you were talking about IEM discovery, take out the couple references to coffee/tea and it applies.

I am still looking for different not incrementally better, otherwise the same. Unicorn hunting, very weary of falling for hype or infatuation of early adopters, willing to wait for pixie dust to settle.
It may be slightly different, but the way the trend seems to be going, the target tuning seems to be narrowing down from the wider array of choices from before in the past. I observe. It's like a loop forming between the customers and producers, and there are varying feedbacks from which can be selected as seed for next creation. A choice therefore can be seen as similar to a vote or message. The pleasing of the mass, and the heightening of probability of someone enjoying a sound correlated. It's interesting to see how things might evolve from here

09-01.png

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #26,724 of 88,437
A very nice 28c / 82f here in Fuerteventura - double the temperature we left in Dublin this morning!

Absolutely love the local Canarian beer.

20220609_112106.jpg
Man, that looks like a mighty fine glass of refreshment! :beerchug:

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #26,725 of 88,437

I wrote it from the perspective that it applied to audio gear as well - very perceptive of you to ppick up on that so quickly!

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #26,727 of 88,437
Yeah a good beer, sitting in the sunshine is another of life's pleasures that rank highly for me!
Likewise.

So what's in your ears to accompany such a fine setting?

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #26,728 of 88,437
It looks a lot like the Symphonium Helios which is not a surprise at all. Pre-orders available by the end of month or early July.

My understanding is that the nozzle will be shorter Than Helios, which is positive. The shell won't be small though.

A storm is around the corner indeed, the wait shouldn't be much longer now.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #26,729 of 88,437
Likewise.

So what's in your ears to accompany such a fine setting?

That was a short while ago, and with my wife and kids so nothing in my ears at that point!

A family favourite when we come here in recent years though is the following - nice upbeat dub/reggae/female vocals, perfect for the sunshine and a spectacular album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back