The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 12, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #2,536 of 88,445
Aug 12, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #2,537 of 88,445
Aug 12, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #2,538 of 88,445
AFF51E01-0B65-4440-8E2C-A765949EC659.JPEG

Didn't waste any time and hooked these up to my Prudence and M8. Perspective is as someone coming from the Dorado 2020 as a daily driver.

Some off the cuff impressions:

+ These are certainly bass cannons-- but they're a fun clean, reasonably detailed and not-too-invasive sort of bass
+ Mids are thick, bodied, reasonably forward and clear...though they are a touch overshadowed by the massive bass at times
+ Lots of mid-bass though it doesn't degenerate into bloom really...it's a little like being in a confined club-like space with a massive sub.

- Bass is not as tight, dense, controlled, nuanced or quite as well extended as it is on the Dorado 2020
- Not for someone looking for lots of air, sparkle or forward treble
- They are kind of cheap feeling.

On the whole I think they're great for the price point and will probably make lots of people very happy. As to whether they're keepers for me...perhaps though it's hard to say as at this point it seems like I can get everything here but better in the Dorado 2020. Time will tell...
I have campfire Solaris LE “flower”. Any other campfire iems you think would be better for hip hop or technicalities?

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #2,539 of 88,445
Aroma witch Girl W6.2 with Ikko CTU-01 and Epro horn shaped.
I got 160hours and sounds amazing!😍
I heard the Pro and old W12 before, and I can tell they have pretty unique slightly warm house sound. They're quite enjoyable :) I'm curious to hear the W6.2 someday
I can't keep both the Turii and Isabelle, send me a PM if you are interested in one or the other.
Will do consider. Thanks
Sounds absolutely horrific that does...

I'd buy it though if it meant better vocal reproduction! :sweat_smile:
Imagine if it's given artificial breathing (like expanding & contracting diaphragm) mechanism 😐

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #2,540 of 88,445
I have campfire Solaris LE “flower”. Any other campfire iems you think would be better for hip hop or technicalities?
Not a campfire IEM, but if it is something bassy+technical for rap or hip-hop you are after, the IER-Z1R is exceptional.

I listen to a lot of rap, and a track like PE's "Brothers Gonna Work It Out" highlights the Z1R ability to dig deep with bass that is exploding in your head, while keeping the percussion in the treble sparkling clean. Soundstage/technicalities are not usually associated with rap, but the Z1R lets you focus right in on all of the samples, vocals, percussion & effects that The Bomb Squad mixed into PE's tracks, it's really pretty amazing.

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #2,541 of 88,445
Polaris v2 was pretty good for hip hop, but not at the technical level of Solaris or z1r. Also depends on whether you want your monitor to sound like it would in the studio or blasting out of your trunk through 18” woofers? Maybe check out Atlas?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #2,542 of 88,445
No I mean PWaudio Athena 8core (~440$), you can find in Asia because I didn’t see on Musicteck, maybe ask Andrew, I bet he know it.

Ego audio Gin cost more, ~550$.
Looks also interesting and ess expensive Tequila and Sake that would be the brighter one.

take a look to @twister6 review.
https://twister6.com/2020/09/28/bra...ables-beer-cocktail-sake-tequila-and-whiskey/

Not my own review, but rather Ani's on Tw6 site. And yeah, those supposed to be decent budget cables :)

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #2,543 of 88,445
Not a campfire IEM, but if it is something bassy+technical for rap or hip-hop you are after, the IER-Z1R is exceptional.

I listen to a lot of rap, and a track like PE's "Brothers Gonna Work It Out" highlights the Z1R ability to dig deep with bass that is exploding in your head, while keeping the percussion in the treble sparkling clean. Soundstage/technicalities are not usually associated with rap, but the Z1R lets you focus right in on all of the samples, vocals, percussion & effects that The Bomb Squad mixed into PE's tracks, it's really pretty amazing.
There's a nice-looking set of Solaris OG’s in the classifieds, I loved them when I had them in the house.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #2,544 of 88,445

That depends on what you're after that Solaris doesn't offer. There are IEMs with bigger bass that aren't quite as technical as Solaris (Dorado 2020, Polaris 2) and IEMs with a more purely technical focus (Ara, Andromeda 2020). I think Solaris kind of offers the best of both worlds in a lot of ways. All of that said while I listen to some hip hop it is by no means one of my main genres. The Dorado 2020 is possibly the best bet at the moment in terms of CFA's lineup as it has both a strong mid bass emphasis (important for hip hop imho) and is decently technical. All of that said I'm not sure CFA makes an IEM that's really fine tuned for hip hop. The Atlas might be a good option but it's a bass cannon and I wouldn't say a technical virtuoso. I'm not sure what your budget is but if you can handle the level of bass the Legend X is a great option for hip hop, funk, modern pop etc. They're releasing a MKii and if it's good it might signal a good opportunity to find a good deal on an OG LX on the used market.

Imagine if it's given artificial breathing (like expanding & contracting diaphragm) mechanism 😐

Lol It's alive!

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #2,545 of 88,445
Aug 13, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #2,546 of 88,445
Welp, I took a blind leap and ordered a Japanese iem! Entry level model, though, as of the moment I do not have much excess cash. But 2 things got my attention: 1. Wooden housing, 2. Two adjustable bass settings with C ring. Coupled with the amount, around $160, and single 9.2 mm Titanium diaphragm DD - it became quite irresistible, and I gave in. After Unique melody 3DT and Fiio FD5, I did become more interested in pure DD iems.

634EARS SARN II

sarn2.jpg

Dynamic type driver x 1
Case:
Machined aluminum (anodized) + wood (selectable) The old SARN has been renewed as an entry model for 634ears.
Aiming for a sound that will be the standard for other models, the earphones have been redesigned and originally manufactured exclusively for this earphone, incorporating the selection of wood housing material, which is a feature of 634ears. ..

<< Characteristics of sound >>

・ Bright and energetic
・ Clear and clear sound that is easy to grasp ・ Stretchy
and glossy mid-high range
・ Volume and powerful low range
・ Speed and sharpness, attack
・ Natural sound distance
・ Bass by opening and closing the C ring Adjustment of the feeling of omission

There are no frequency response graphs provided in the product page, however, upon request, I was provided with a bar chart:

634ears SARN II.jpg

The black bars are the C ring closed condition, and the red bar are the C ring open condition. I guesstimated the values and tried to create a curve in excel, it turned out like this (for the Black bars):

634ears SARN II graph excel.png

Looking at the graph, I think it should have a strong subbass, and quite energetic mids and lower treble. Coupled with this information and the characteristics of sound provided, I asked him if it was possible to slightly reduce the upper-mid lower-treble attacks. He informed that the stabilised wood will make the sound slightly darker, and additionally he will reduce the highs a bit. So let's see how it turns out. He will share with me the new FR graph once done, so keeping my fingers crossed, but gonna have to keep them crossed for 2 weeks, which is a bummer.

Oh, and this one is the stabilised wood housing:

SARN-II Stabilised wood.JPG

Looks magical!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #2,547 of 88,445
Welp, I took a blind leap and ordered a Japanese iem! Entry level model, though, as of the moment I do not have much excess cash. But 2 things got my attention: 1. Wooden housing, 2. Two adjustable bass settings with C ring. Coupled with the amount, around $160, and single 9.2 mm Titanium diaphragm DD - it became quite irresistible, and I gave in. After Unique melody 3DT and Fiio FD5, I did become more interested in pure DD iems.

634EARS SARN II

sarn2.jpg

Dynamic type driver x 1
Case:
Machined aluminum (anodized) + wood (selectable) The old SARN has been renewed as an entry model for 634ears.
Aiming for a sound that will be the standard for other models, the earphones have been redesigned and originally manufactured exclusively for this earphone, incorporating the selection of wood housing material, which is a feature of 634ears. ..

・ Bright and energetic
・ Natural sound distance

There are no frequency response graphs provided in the product page, however, upon request, I was provided with a bar chart:

634ears SARN II.jpg

The black bars are the C ring closed condition, and the red bar are the C ring open condition. I guesstimated the values and tried to create a curve in excel, it turned out like this (for the Black bars):

634ears SARN II graph excel.png

Looking at the graph, I think it should have a strong subbass, and quite energetic mids and lower treble. Coupled with this information and the characteristics of sound provided, I asked them if it was possible to slightly reduce the upper-mid lower-treble attacks. They informed that the stabilised wood will make the sound slightly darker, and additionally they will reduce the highs a bit. So let's see how it turns out. They will share with me the new FR graph once done, so keeping my fingers crossed, but gonna have to keep them crossed for 2 weeks, which is a bummer.

SARN-II Stabilised wood.JPG

Looks magical!

Eagerly awaiting your impressions. Can't resist a good looking single DD!

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,548 of 88,445
Talking about that kind of music reminds me an Album that blew me away many years ago, when I was a young Man. LOL

I love Peter Gabriel. If I were forced to pick a single song to be representative of the entire period I've been alive (mid-70s +) I'm pretty sure it would be Solsbury Hill.

I've been enjoying me some old Genesis lately:

Aroma witch Girl W6.2 with Ikko CTU-01 and Epro horn shaped.
I got 160hours and sounds amazing!😍

Witch Girl is a bewitching girl indeed. It's got many parallels with the Campfire Solaris-- Solaris has better bass and in the case of the OG Solaris possibly treble too but I think the Witch might edge out Solaris on mids in some specific cases-- either way she's an enchanting IEM and a good option for the $$ Whenever I put them in I forget what I was trying to listen for and just get in to the music-- I'm not sure what higher compliment could be paid an IEM really. The bass needs just a touch more density and extension though, and possibly hairbreadth dip at 4K (this latter is a nitpick ultimately).

IER Z1R was hit/miss for me with hip hop. Sometimes, as you describe it here it's great...epic even...but for other stuff that demands more mid-bass presence or body in the vocals I found it a bit lacking. YMMV etc.

Not my own review, but rather Ani's on Tw6 site. And yeah, those supposed to be decent budget cables :)

Great to see you here man :)

634EARS SARN II

Dynamic type driver x 1
Case:

・ Bright and energetic
・ Natural sound distance

Looking at the graph, I think it should have a strong subbass, and quite energetic mids and lower treble. Coupled with this information and the characteristics of sound provided, I asked them if it was possible to slightly reduce the upper-mid lower-treble attacks. They informed that the stabilised wood will make the sound slightly darker, and additionally they will reduce the highs a bit. So let's see how it turns out. They will share with me the new FR graph once done, so keeping my fingers crossed, but gonna have to keep them crossed for 2 weeks, which is a bummer.

Looks magical!

Awesome thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more info on the upper mid/lower treble region.

In other news Andrew at Musicteck, while not being able to provide any specifics, has confirmed that he'll be carrying whatever IEM was being hinted at in that Oriolus teaser a couple day ago. Woop.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,549 of 88,445
Witch Girl is a bewitching girl indeed. It's got many parallels with the Campfire Solaris-- Solaris has better bass and in the case of the OG Solaris possibly treble too but I think the Witch might edge out Solaris on mids in some specific cases-- either way she's an enchanting IEM and a good option for the $$ Whenever I put them in I forget what I was trying to listen for and just get in to the music-- I'm not sure what higher compliment could be paid an IEM really. The bass needs just a touch more density and extension though, and possibly hairbreadth dip at 4K...but these are nitpicks ultimately.
W6.2 sounds much better on bass and highs with Ikko CTU-01 and Epro horn tip, with stock cable and stock tips sounds darker and bass hasnt same kick/dynamic, CTU1+Epro elevate also transparency on mids and a highs are so smooth a never harsh.
Yea like u said you forgot to check track test and enjoying music.
I’m almost ready for Thunder 😋

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,550 of 88,445
In other news Andrew at Musicteck, while not being able to provide any specifics, has confirmed that he'll be carrying whatever IEM was being hinted at in that Oriolus teaser a couple day ago. Woop.
Is Percivali discontinued?!?
Should be a new model in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back