The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 18, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #25,081 of 88,440
Another two of my favourites right there. Reminds me quite a bit of Lana, only darker in tone and subject, but just as sweet and emotive of voice. It's one of those albums I wish wouldn't end when it does, and with a runtime of 1:15, it's a proper album, unlike these 30-minute excuses for 'albums' some artists are releasing nowadays.

Seriously, some of the tracks on here are transcendent. They build up slowly, rise to a rousing crescendo, then tail away for a few minutes with just Ethel and a drumbeat or string guitar in (if you're listening with the right gear) a vast, deep, black stage.

I'm tempted to review the album the way I heard it, describing the music along with the emotion. Say what you will about technicals - this is the type of album that's so intricately designed, with so many different layers, that you really want the very best imaging, staging, resolution and a pitch black background to enjoy it to the full.

It's both mmersive and holographic, yet simultaneously has an intimacy (predominantly through Ethel's voice, but also in the insanely deep and precisely placed bass and string notes) that touches your soul. Just special, very special.

Listen casually to this and you'll miss the magic.
You should try this album but is more dramatic.
I follow her since he release this album and I sow her concert, fantastic emotionally experience.
It’s not an easy listening and needs the right moment to enjoy it falling into the dark atmosphere.
I tok some pics, but remember I’m not a photographer and on 2004 I owned my first digital reflex 6.3mpixel🤣

B139F64C-CA76-45D8-909D-FFF764EE28A5.jpeg

Low res pics I took from my FB page.
I really loved Canadian label called constellation records https://cstrecords.com/
Early 2000 post rock was my fav genre ☺️

EC04BEB3-55DF-4D8A-A8F6-215DB5373EE0.jpeg
F07266FE-F015-401B-A49A-43FDDB25767C.jpeg

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #25,082 of 88,440
Cooler survey: What sort of product/design/configuration/feature are you hoping to see that hasn't come out yet?
I’m sure R&D will give us better and better hardware but I’ll expect more from softwares like a programmable DSP on DAP to get the best matching with IEMs, a sort of Hiby darwin/MSEB but with higher/noticeble performances

May 18, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #25,083 of 88,440
Cooler survey: What sort of product/design/configuration/feature are you hoping to see that hasn't come out yet?
Hiby RS8 TOTL R2R DAP

CIEM Empire Ears Legend EVO

May 18, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #25,084 of 88,440
  • DAP design based on 18650 user-replaceable batteries. They should offer higher peak current = more juice.
  • IMHO, treble remains challenging with IEMs. Need somthing that balances note weight, shimmer, extension as called for by the music
  • Hybrid IEM + Aftershokz style BCD (with an arm that stretches from the IEM shell to upper cheak for best effect)
    1652916720008.png
Edit: And one more - more DAP designs based on AD5781/91 chipsets

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #25,085 of 88,440
Meet up with @Sifo and @riverground today.

Probably close to 50K of gear between the 3 of us in Headfoneshop.

Got to hear the Copper and SPC EA prototypes.

Socrates 8 prototype was impressive, especially on the Odin.

EXT and Phonix were in the house. Those stock cables are realllllly bad. But that was more prominent on the EXT. I was surprised since I thought I might like the EXT more, but it turns out Phonix took the win. EXT was what I felt the Elysian should have been to impress me.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #25,086 of 88,440
D32C8DA8-BBE9-4EE9-8F69-1BE05818ADB5.png

Exercise your bone conductors here.

May 18, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #25,087 of 88,440
EXT and Phonix were in the house. Those stock cables are realllllly bad. But that was more prominent on the EXT. I was surprised since I thought I might like the EXT more, but it turns out Phonix took the win. EXT was what I felt the Elysian should have been to impress me.
What do you find so bad about the stock VE cables? Can't say I've had an issue with them so I'm curious.

May 18, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #25,088 of 88,440

Got to hear the Copper and SPC EA protoypes.

Bought so much from Headfoneshop but never seen the inside.

May 18, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #25,089 of 88,440
New CFA Trifecta…3 x 10mm DD (!!!)

Info here

IMG_9416.jpg

Looks pretty cool but I think I'm still arguably more excited at the prospect of a uni version of the Supermoon (ie., a Planar).
Definitely looks interesting. But as a limited release, and as expensive as it is, thats a hard pass for me.

Also, Im a little surprised that nobody has mentioned it, but that shell shape looks... uncomfortable. The bulbous parts just look like they are in all the wrong places and would cause some serious pressure points.

May 18, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #25,091 of 88,440
My first 'lower cost' IEM review published tonight - the BQEYZ Autumn. I've enjoyed this a lot over the last few weeks and tempted to further explore more single DDs in that price category (sub $200).

BQEYZ-1.jpg
Glad you enjoyed your time with it! I gave mine away and kinda regret it...

May 18, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #25,092 of 88,440
What do you find so bad about the stock VE cables? Can't say I've had an issue with them so I'm curious.
I found that they bottlenecked the iems to an extent. Whereas just swapping out for another cable let them sing to their hearts extent.
Bought so much from Headfoneshop but never seen the inside.
I see you too pay Charles rent/fund his daughter's education.

May 19, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #25,093 of 88,440

Got to hear the Copper and SPC EA prototypes.

Darnit, I still need to make my way to HFS at some point. Did you guys grab ramen? :)

May 19, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #25,094 of 88,440
May 19, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #25,095 of 88,440
I found that they bottlenecked the iems to an extent. Whereas just swapping out for another cable let them sing to their hearts extent.
I like the Phonix stock cable's sound a lot, that coherency is what won me over in the first place. That also "limited" my cable rolling choices because there are only a handful of cables (Cent/Code 51/Plato/FT) not altering the tuning that much, with Cent sounding almost the same to stock's tuning.

I do find that EXT responds to cable rolling more and the stock EXT cable is so-so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back