The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 17, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #24,946 of 88,459
Looking at UM the only bone driver that’s the same size, also full range and double sided like the EE is the UM FS. The mext, Mest both use smaller bone conductors with different materials. EE and UM FS bone conductor are both dual sided 5-20htz with piezoelectric ceramic vibration plates and ceramic coated electrostatic plates. Unfortunately beside size Noble doesn’t include it’s specs for the bone conductor.
not sure I read this correctly... maybe my fault, I'm not native english.
AFAIK EVO, Mext and the new Noble use a "traditional" DD for BCD (a moving coil driver), while Mason and Mest use a dual sided multilayer piezoelectric. as far as I can hear, the main difference btwn EVO and Mest is that the BC effect is much more on the sub-basses / basses for the EVO, and much more on the mids / highs on the Mest. this is also confirmed by UM: "dBC-s has an effective frequency response range from 500Hz to 20K Hz", while EE states that the BCD works 5Hz-40kHz.
finally, AFAIK the BCD in the EVO is EE propietary, an in-house WeaponX driver.

May 17, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #24,948 of 88,459
A11635C8-AE52-459F-AA3D-3633B915832F.jpeg
Has anyone tried the new Noble KUBLAI KHAN? They have an interesting driver configuration with 4 different drivers, bone sub bass, DD bass, BA mids, Piezo highs. And they’re not even outrageous at $2,600.
One thing I'll give to Noble, if for nothing else, they really do know how to make great looking IEMS!

May 17, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #24,949 of 88,459
One thing I'll give to Noble, if for nothing else, they really do know how to make great looking IEMS!

tumblr_m584s8UYMY1r350zq.gif

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
May 17, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #24,951 of 88,459
Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #24,952 of 88,459
Looking at UM the only bone driver that’s the same size, also full range and double sided like the EE is the UM FS. The mext, Mest both use smaller bone conductors with different materials. EE and UM FS bone conductor are both dual sided 5-20htz with piezoelectric ceramic vibration plates and ceramic coated electrostatic plates. Unfortunately beside size Noble doesn’t include it’s specs for the bone conductor.

Next time, I just going to write "similar type of driver" :p My point was that it's nice to see other manufacturers introducing more bass-focused BC drivers, regardless if this is 10mm, 10.9mm, or 10.75mm. Besides, even if they use the identical driver, nothing going to sound the same since tuning is customized, though there are some breadcrumbs, like a distinct 400Hz ringing notch in all three of these IEMs. Mest BC driver was focused on upper frequencies, EE had a different implementation with a focus on lower frequencies in EVO, MEXT followed the same route, and now we see more releases with a similar driver implementation. This is progress!

Btw, since you are from NYC, you can probably stop by Audio46 to audition it. Audio46 is promoting it now, including on their own majorhifi review site, so I'm sure they will have it in stock :)

May 17, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #24,953 of 88,459
Out of interest is there such a thing as a DIY/custom IEM scene that doesn't run into the hundreds of euros? similar to how there's a big SE Asian earbud scene. I'd gladly try out some stuff from smaller makers :)

May 17, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #24,954 of 88,459
Next time, I just going to write "similar type of driver" :p My point was that it's nice to see other manufacturers introducing more bass-focused BC drivers, regardless if this is 10mm, 10.9mm, or 10.75mm. Besides, even if they use the identical driver, nothing going to sound the same since tuning is customized, though there are some breadcrumbs, like a distinct 400Hz ringing notch in all three of these IEMs. Mest BC driver was focused on upper frequencies, EE had a different implementation with a focus on lower frequencies in EVO, MEXT followed the same route, and now we see more releases with a similar driver implementation. This is progress!

Btw, since you are from NYC, you can probably stop by Audio46 to audition it. Audio46 is promoting it now, including on their own majorhifi review site, so I'm sure they will have it in stock :)
I mostly live north shore of Boston these days, don’t go to my place in nyc much since retiring. Probably won’t be back to nyc until fall, not my favorite place during the warmer months.
I thought you were saying the same exact drivers, yeah it’s great that more manufacturers are using bone drivers. Love that newer tech is going into IEMs, rather then just more BA drivers.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #24,955 of 88,459
The Hook X are similar in that they are Planars and have Planar timbre which I prefer to dynamic drivers.
Definitely agree. As a 1DD purist, planar seems much more comfortable to my ears. Something about their (distortion free?) playback is doing something that makes them my go to config now.
I can't wait until one of these companies comes up with a $1000 Planar with bone conduction.
Not quite sure if $1000 is going to fly unless they bring something far and away above the current Chi-Fi crop. All 4 are already phenomenal value for money.

May 17, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #24,956 of 88,459
The only thing it is missing is TOTL level resolution and detail and bass lacks refinement and can at times sound a bit muddy and slightly bloated.
Decided to order a pair myself. Never heard a planar IEM, they're at a relatively cheap entry point and BC is an added bonus!

Have you rolled cables with them?

May 17, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #24,957 of 88,459
The Dunu Vernus has landed. For those interested, my OOTB impressions and some unboxing pictures are here.

Edit: Hope the link works now.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #24,958 of 88,459
May 17, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #24,959 of 88,459
May 17, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #24,960 of 88,459
Cool...will check that out.

In other news I love you new avatar :D
Hehe! Yup! My new fav! I have been going through the Dorado 2020 thread just to get a feel for whats written on them and it was interesting to see how the thread started real quiet then took a real turn by about page 20! It was interesting to see also the likes of my fellow countryman Crin, Precog and SuperReviews weighing in! Loved how you were deliberating whether or not to get them and your reactions when you first heard them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back