The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 2, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #23,611 of 90,206
Lemme know what I should do lol

I'll start to have quite a bit more free time soon.

At this point it means you'll be the person receiving the Lime Ears kit when it comes back to Canada after its preliminary US tour.

In other news, I got mail!

21F113A7-3335-4FF6-9599-8257C84C9C7B.JPEG

Suuuuper preliminary impressions, but I like these a lot! First things that jump out are 1) the bass is excellent-- it's a rare balance of nice mid-bass warmth atop a slight but clear sub-bass emphasis. Bass is fast and dense and thoroughly satisfying...lots of oomph and slam. Treble is another standout-- lots of sparkle & detail up top but zero fatigue. I would say this is an IEM that leans ever so slightly warmer than the Zen Pro but without any sub-bass roll off. Bass is heard as well as felt. It's not quite as transparent as the Zen Pro which I suppose is a consequence of the extra bass presence. Again compared to the Zen Pro there is possibly a better balance across the FR and, again, without any fatigue. Unfortunately I can't compare directly to then ZP because it's out on tour at the moment. Given that the bass & treble jumped out at me first I'm tempted to say these have a v-shape to them...but a very mild one as I don't hear any recession in the mids...though they do seem just a hair behind the bass & treble. Maybe slightly u-shaped is a better way to put it. The signature is nice and balanced with lots of single DD coherence and goodness. At the end of the day a well done single DD is very hard to beat. Listening to them now...man this bass is nice. More to come.

May 2, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #23,612 of 90,206
Looking into some of the small portable DAC/amp options and just trying to figure out which I might want, if any. 4.4mm is a requirement, MQA is nice to have. Seems like the main group is the UP5, UA5 (still not available), S2, W2, and Go Blu. Anything I'm missing? The UP5 and S2 seems like the best options but the latter is more pricy.

May 2, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #23,613 of 90,206
Cooler survey: What's on your radar, May Days edition?
BlushingJubilantImperialeagle-size_restricted.gif

Absolutely nada. I'm busy working on two reviews (at vastly different price points), and then I'll see what's out there that's worth considering for interesting future reviews. I'm done with mid-fi anything - without meaning to sound snooty, life's too short (yet ironically my next review is very much mid-fi). For future projects though, I'm after really well-designed, interesting products, built with purpose for longevity, that won't be replaced by 'new and improved' from the same brand before the unboxing is done. Products that offer genuine value, not gimmicks. Stuff that's worth every one of the thoudand-plus dollars it's asking for. If that means I only get to work with one or two new releases every other month, so be it.
Maybe I’m not a basshead, Ace serve everything amazing.
I don’t miss bass at all 😊
If you love big bass you may still qualify. You're definitely not a DD-head though, especially if you believe any BA design can replicate DD air movement and rumble. 😉

May 2, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #23,614 of 90,206
At this point it means you'll be the person receiving the Lime Ears kit when it comes back to Canada after its preliminary US tour.

Suuuuper preliminary impressions, but I like these a lot! First things that jump out are 1) the bass is excellent-- it's a rare balance of nice mid-bass warmth atop a slight but clear sub-bass emphasis. Bass is fast and dense and thoroughly satisfying...lots of oomph and slam. Treble is another standout-- lots of sparkle & detail up top but zero fatigue. I would say this is an IEM that leans ever so slightly warmer than the Zen Pro but without any sub-bass roll off. Bass is heard as well as felt. It's not quite as transparent as the Zen Pro which I suppose is a consequence of the extra bass presence. Again compared to the Zen Pro there is possibly a better balance across the FR and, again, without any fatigue. Unfortunately I can't compare directly to then ZP because it's out on tour at the moment. Given that the bass & treble jumped out at me first I'm tempted to say these have a v-shape to them...but a very mild one as I don't hear any recession in the mids...though they do seem just a hair behind the bass & treble. Maybe slightly u-shaped is a better way to put it. The signature is nice and balanced with lots of single DD coherence and goodness. At the end of the day a well done single DD is very hard to beat. Listening to them now...man this bass is nice. More to come.
I am very jealous. I’ve wanted to hear this guy for months. Enjoy.

May 2, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #23,615 of 90,206
I am very jealous. I’ve wanted to hear this guy for months. Enjoy.

It's excellent...I haven't stopped listening to it since I brought it home. It might be slightly more warm/musical/bassy than the sets you have now. What was it you didn't like about the Zen Pro again? This is like Zen Pro meets Isa with a little less transparency & technicality and more refined tuning up top than the Zen Pro, less romantic mids than Isa...but arguably better bass and treble than both. Lots to love here.

Edit: It likes a lot of power too...it sounds glorious through the headphone gain on my M9.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #23,616 of 90,206
It's excellent...I haven't stopped listening to it since I brought it home. It might be slightly more warm/musical/bassy than the sets you have now. What was it you didn't like about the Zen Pro again? This is like Zen Pro meets Isa with a little less transparency & technicality and more refined tuning up top than the Zen Pro, less romantic mids than Isa...but arguably better bass and treble than both. Lots to love here.

Edit: It likes a lot of power too...it sounds glorious through the headphone gain on my M9.
Zen’s 4-8k area and peak was too extreme for my percussion likes and because of that jump, the resultant lower treble felt a bit neutered.
I like a good elevated bass. I liked Zen Pro’s mid bass a bunch. Probably more than Turii. Just not the mids and treble. Thats by memory though.

May 2, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #23,617 of 90,206
Zen’s 4-8k area and peak was too extreme for my percussion likes and because of that jump, the resultant lower treble felt a bit neutered.
I like a good elevated bass. I liked Zen Pro’s mid bass a bunch. Probably more than Turii. Just not the mids and treble. Thats by memory though.

Interesting...these could be right up your alley.

May 2, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #23,618 of 90,206
If you love big bass you may still qualify. You're definitely not a DD-head though, especially if you believe any BA design can replicate DD air movement and rumble. 😉
Maybe i didn’t explain correctly, but I didn’t say any BA replicate DD behavior, the opposite.
I always said I need a DD for bass until I got Ace.
I don’t miss bass with it and it’s far better than many DD ever heard IMHO.😉
I’ll buy Jewel also so I’ll have another iem with DD, but if you look to my collection I own iem with DD only, except for Ace and Star.
F7U isn’t arrived yet.

May 2, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #23,619 of 90,206
May 2, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #23,620 of 90,206

I’m good with that! If that’s what people would like.

And as for the SK, yeah man! I couldn’t believe how good the bass is on that little thing. I would even dare say to say that I like it better than the Z1R and I freaking LOVE the Z1R.

Because of how the Treble is, the mids are insanely airy and ethereal. Listen to some of AURORA’s music. Her vocals on the SK is just so enchanting!

This album is a great start!

The opening song is an amazing track to test vocals and layering.

May 2, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #23,621 of 90,206
I’m good with that! If that’s what people would like.

And as for the SK, yeah man! I couldn’t believe how good the bass is on that little thing. I would even dare say to say that I like it better than the Z1R and I freaking LOVE the Z1R.

Because of how the Treble is, the mids are insanely airy and ethereal. Listen to some of AURORA’s music. Her vocals on the SK is just so enchanting!

Been listening to a bunch of Aurora. Is good.

May 2, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #23,622 of 90,206
May 2, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #23,625 of 90,206

Saw Aurora live in San Fransisco, she was amazing.

9B81715B-63AB-4D4D-95CF-3FFC809130CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back