The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 1, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #76,291 of 87,844
A while since I’ve tried out some new tips - I’ve already ordered Eletech Baroque, and about to grab these. Has anyone tried the AEX07? - I’m a big fan of AET07, so an upgrade sounds very promising.

IMG_9801.jpeg

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #76,292 of 87,844
Happy new year Coolers! Went to bed at 10 PM, big night 😁

audio resolutions for 2024

• get a proper DAP
  • no more budget buys
  • upgrade my desktop amp/dac
  • canjam
  • write more!
wishing everyone reading this the best.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #76,293 of 87,844
A while since I’ve tried out some new tips - I’ve already ordered Eletech Baroque, and about to grab these. Has anyone tried the AEX07? - I’m a big fan of AET07, so an upgrade sounds very promising.

IMG_9801.jpeg
Divinus velvet tips are amazing.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #76,294 of 87,844

IMG_9801.jpeg
They are very similar to the Faudio Vocal tips if you have them but they have a stiffer stem. They are very good but I prefer the AEX70's

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #76,295 of 87,844
Well since we are all at it I am also gonna post my top 10 Bandcamp releases of 2023 (excluding some I saw were already in lists here):

Jazz Emu melts funky, original and well produced music with some damn good humor. I recommend watching his youtube music videos, they are extremely well-produced on a shoe-string budget and the songs unfold their full potential together with visual media.

This is a 2023 re-release of an ambient classic. I love Hiroshi Yoshimura, he spearheaded the japanese ambient scene like no other imo.

Miho Hazama is an extremely prolific Jazz talent. This might be her best album yet, extremely modern influences but still totally her sound.

ATA might be one of my favorite labels of today. This is the third entry in their Library Archive series, which are made out of great tunes that will make you want to move your butt! :D

Green-House produces music in the spirit of Kankyō Ongaku, the sub-genre of Ambient music I enjoy the most. All their releases are gems.

I could just copy and paste the last description here. Love this kind of music, it soothes my soul.

Jonathan Scales makes great music with his steel pan jazz trio. I recommend watching the Tiny Desk Concert where they perform with Béla Fleck on banjo as a quartett. Very unique sound in the space, even after Jaco Pastorious attempt to get the steel pan into the "mainstream" of Jazz. This new album is the amalgamation of all the years refining their sound.

These two EP´s count as one release, since they are connected. A third EP is still coming. This has gotta be the biggest surprise of the Year. I saw PoiL playing with Ueda at the Rudolstadt Festival 2023 where they performed all of these songs + the third EP in a row. Highly complex progressive Rock and Metal mixed with traditional Japanese Folklore stories. Just an amazing sonic experience, but needs time to settle and develop in the brain. Seeing them live first helped me immensely.

If you don´t know KNOWER, get over to youtube and take a good look and listen. Extremely impressive mix of Drum´n´bass, Jazz, EDM, sometimes Dubstep, Funk and more. Simplistic, yet complex. This is their best record to date and I doubt it can better than that (but I am open to be surprised again) Highly engaging music, lots of fun.

Honorable mention:

Marquis Hill has released banger after banger these last years. And while this album did not quite do it for me as the others did before, it is still a great record. His trumpet sound is just silky smooth (he sounds like that live, as well) and the production of his albums is extremely modern. Mixing Jazz, R´n´b, Spoken Word and Rap and connecting all the songs of each release to a certain theme, makes them very special.

Nice to see PoiL show up here, Jonathan. Slightly different from what you guys play on stage. 🤗 Liked your drum kit though...

drftr

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #76,296 of 87,844
They are very similar to the Faudio Vocal tips if you have them but they have a stiffer stem. They are very good but I prefer the AEX70's

Good to hear, I prefer stiffer stem - the likes of SpinFit never fit securely for me as too soft. I probably tried the FAudio back when I had Dark Sky but can’t remember now.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #76,297 of 87,844
My girlfriend got me a really dope keyboard for Christmas. Yunzii AL71. Now, I'm not a keyboard guy. But this seems like an excellent "budget" mechanical keyboard to me. I previously had the Razor Huntsman Analog mechanical keyboard, thinking having analog keys would be great for gaming. But it ended up just being a giant pain in the booty(Windows doesn't support these sorts of keyboards, which resulted in various issues). And this keyboard was heckin LOUD too...which I am honestly not a fan of, although I know some people dig it. So, she got me the AL71 with "silent" switches. They aren't silent, but it's an enormous improvement.

Anyway, the keyboard comes with software that builds in an accurate spectrum style music visualizer delivered via the RGB. I had no idea a keyboard could have a music visualizer built in to it, and now I can't go back lol. It's awesome! Only downside is you can't use your player's exclusive mode with it.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #76,298 of 87,844
Nice to see PoiL show up here, Jonathan. Slightly different from what you guys play on stage. 🤗 Liked your drum kit though...

drftr
haha :D yeah I do play drums, but I am nowhere near any real professional level.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #76,299 of 87,844
For anyone interested here is a "one year at a glance" of all of our survey results beginning with last year's IEM of the Year results and ending with this year's. It's cool to watch various IEMs gain traction and maintain it, and vice versa. This is a good map of the Cooler community's tastes and preferences throughout this past year.

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.30.19 AM.png

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #76,300 of 87,844
Oh I’ve yet to check Bleep, always find gems there that I’ve missed… likewise Boomkat actually.

As usual - going through other lists one easily recognizes what one has forgotten:

Overmono, Anohni, Lee Gamble and bar italia e.g. should not have been overlooked by me...

But the next few days I will primarily listen through you Watercooler lists first .... :)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #76,301 of 87,844
As usual - going through other lists one easily recognizes what one has forgotten:

Overmono, Anohni, Lee Gamble and bar italia e.g. should not have been overlooked by me...

But the next few days I will primarily listen through you Watercooler lists first .... :)
Overmono album was wonderful! Got to see them live in a warehouse with art installations as well, was a very cool experience.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #76,302 of 87,844

IMG_9801.jpeg
For my ears, AEX07 are an improved version of the AET07 (likewise, one of my fav eartips).

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #76,303 of 87,844
Haven't had one in probably 25 or so years. And guess what? Time happened anyway :wink:

drftr
Did it? You look as young as ever.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #76,305 of 87,844
I've always avoided taking time off during the Christmas week because I inevitably get sick.

I tempted fated this year and ended up ringing in the new year with a cold instead.

Lying in bed under a pile of blankets is not helping my desire to sick buy something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back