THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 24, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #766 of 1,580
I am keeping an eye on the Susvara 2, but DCA has a certain ‘pure’ sonic signature that I like.
I preferred Expanse over Susvara.
It's all subjective.

Nonetheless I'm curious what the Susvara successor will bring

May 24, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #767 of 1,580
I am keeping an eye on the Susvara 2, but DCA has a certain ‘pure’ sonic signature that I like.
Learning what you like and the right sound signature for YOU is a key part of the journey. It’s awesome that you have that dialed in and have the amp coming to match!

Congrats on the WA33- I can only imagine how good that will sound, how fun!

May 24, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #769 of 1,580
An undampened take on a Stealth-like sound could be Rognir Planar with solid pads.

I have the Kennerton Rognir planars neutral version,with ECL-03M pads (walnut wood) and I agree that less dampened would be a nice way to describe them. They are clear sounding, snappy, and crisp in their presentation. Fun headphones 😊

1716588652569.png

May 24, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #770 of 1,580
Any source saying hifiman will introduce exactly sus 2? I heard they will show new hp but not sure it will be another totl hp or midfi hp
Also interested.

May 24, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #771 of 1,580
May 24, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #772 of 1,580
Have you tried hd800S? It’s got wa33 elite approval

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #773 of 1,580
May 24, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #774 of 1,580
Greetings folks! Today my Woo Audio WA33 amplifier will be delivered and I shall post pictures and initial impressions later today. In the meantime, I am now able to entertain Dan Clark Audio headphones, which I've previously dismissed due to their amping requirements. However, I think the WA33 will fit the bill nicely for his headphones.

I am now considering DCA headphones to complement the Abyss 1266 TC. I am curious about the Stealth as Rob Watts said it represents spatial positioning most accurately compared to other headphones he's tried. To this end, Rob Watts uses DCA Stealth to help develop his DACs and also for personal listening. During CanJam NYC, I was able to demo the E3 which has an excellent tuning. More engaging than from what I remember from the Stealth and Expanse.

I ask fellow headphone enthusiasts, what do you think of Dan Clark Audio headphones, and which one would you recommend with a tube amp such as the WA33?

1716573025269.png

I can only really speak to the Expanse, I suspect something was wrong with the setup at CanJam when I heard the Stealth and look forward to giving it another chance one day. The Expanse is enough of a contrast to the TC to be a solid companion. But it truly depends on what you're looking for.

The Expanse is more forward with a fuller midrange, but with a smaller overall stage and much, much less visceral impact even when amped properly (it's almost as hard to drive as the Susvara, but fairs better with many more amps imo). Where the Expanse shines is in its clarity, smoothness and non-fatiguing resolution. I actually think the Susvara may be a better complement because it has a better bottom end that won't pale in comparison as much as the Expanse will (I'm saying this considering just how ridiculous the TC's bass impact is, in other cases really a non-issue).

But I'm wearing the Expanse right now and the immense clarity and smoothness, particularly in the midrange is absolutely to die for.

May 24, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #775 of 1,580
I can only really speak to the Expanse, I suspect something was wrong with the setup at CanJam when I heard the Stealth and look forward to giving it another chance one day. The Expanse is enough of a contrast to the TC to be a solid companion. But it truly depends on what you're looking for.

The Expanse is more forward with a fuller midrange, but with a smaller overall stage and much, much less visceral impact even when amped properly (it's almost as hard to drive as the Susvara, but fairs better with many more amps imo). Where the Expanse shines is in its clarity, smoothness and non-fatiguing resolution. I actually think the Susvara may be a better complement because it has a better bottom end that won't pale in comparison as much as the Expanse will (I'm saying this considering just how ridiculous the TC's bass impact is, in other cases really a non-issue).

But I'm wearing the Expanse right now and the immense clarity and smoothness, particularly in the midrange is absolutely to die for.
thank you for this thoughtful comparison, I will keep this in mind at CanJam socal. Ideally I can A/B both side by side. I'm curious about Stealth too.

May 24, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #776 of 1,580
Have you tried hd800S? It’s got wa33 elite approval
I have, on the DMP some years ago. I think if I go that route, I will likely go for a Focal Nutopia since the 1266 TC has the soundstage advantage the HD800S has. But I would like to try HD800S on the WA33.

May 24, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #777 of 1,580
I have, on the DMP some years ago. I think if I go that route, I will likely go for a Focal Nutopia since the 1266 TC has the soundstage advantage the HD800S has. But I would like to try HD800S on the WA33.
Oh you should. My woo scales hd800S well and with stage, and Edm is nice. Course I’m sure there’s lots of choices.

May 24, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #778 of 1,580
have a great weekend, everyone!

My Riviera AIC-10 is finally on its way to me. can't wait to get it on my rack. borrowed one from a friend for a few days and fell in love with it; 1266 TC Phi sounded amazing off it, and it was the best I've heard from the Susvara.

still waiting on my Immanis...

I honestly thought I was done with big ticket purchases after my Zähl HM1 last year but this hobby has a knack for throwing curve balls quite regularly. ended up placing an order for an AQ Niagara 5000 and Hurricane high current pc last week. my wallet is cursing at me right now.

my wavedream net and dac are not going anywhere, but contemplating moving the meitner MA3 or Wavelight stack... I'm in this position right now where I'm absolutely fine with the sound I'm getting, but somehow can't help but think I need a lampizator or totaldac in my life and then all will be perfect.

53681098906_3f6adb80d6_k.jpg

pic is of my friend's unit. mine will be the darker titanium finish.. and I think it'll look way nicer:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #779 of 1,580
My Riviera AIC-10 is finally on its way to me
it was the best I've heard from the Susvara

CONGRATS! The AIC10 + Susvara may be the best thing I've heard. You're in for a treat.. ❤️

still waiting on my Immanis...

Had a long call today with Danny McKinney. TLDR is that out of 100 units sold 10 were delivered (worldwide) due to units getting destoryed in shipment (Alex now reworking packaging). I'm hoping to get a demo unit next week (50/50 if logisitcs stars align). Either way, I hope to demo it in the near future. CanJam NYC demo left such a profound impression on me!!

May 24, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #780 of 1,580
I'm hoping to get a demo unit next week

hope u get a well run in demo unit. I had a listen to my friend's brand new unit and I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed. something was off with the centre imaging, and seemed like it lacked the warmth and density and low end that I heard at canjam. spoke to the local dealer about it and he mentioned Aleks recommends a 100 hr running in time.

also.. I don't have the susvara anymore (the one I heard was also my friend's) but was really contemplating buying one again just to pair with the riviera. probably will wait a bit and see how the new hifiman flagship reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back