THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 23, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #751 of 1,558
Back home after couple of days work trip. It was fun using IEMs on the road (WM1Zm2 and Vision Aura is wonderful pair)...

1716504933859.png

...but it's always just so wonderful to be back home sitted at my desktop setup. Putting some headphones one is just what I enjoy most. Now at the end of a work day, I can finally kick back and relax. My choice for this evening is the Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 with the Decware/ZMF Reference OTL amp. These 420 ohm headphones match particularly well with this amp, blending their resolution, speed, and air with this amp's lush, clear, and sweet voicing. It's all about synergy. And this is another wonderful one 🙏

1716505016627.png

Listning now to Ana Popovic singing "Slow Dance". The sense of space on this track is just incredible. A very fun bluesy vibe. Highly recommended!

1716505373619.png

May 23, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #752 of 1,558
New headphones just dropped.

SJY Horizon

1000032708.jpg

1000032715.jpg

Some people went the colorful route or the wood route but black on black appealed to me greatly.

May 23, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #753 of 1,558
Listning now to Ana Popovic singing "Slow Dance". The sense of space on this track is just incredible. A very fun bluesy vibe. Highly recommended!
That is one of my favorite test tracks! Kaboom boom boom at the very start as well. It's fun.

May 23, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #754 of 1,558
Recently came across the JM Audio XTC, what is everyone opinion of them
Intrigued by these HPs as well: seen some "absolutely in love" reviews, with The Headphone Experience being the one that resonates the most- but don't appear to get extensive love, or reviewed by more present reviewers...would love to know more...

May 23, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #755 of 1,558
Intrigued by these HPs as well: seen some "absolutely in love" reviews, with The Headphone Experience being the one that resonates the most- but don't appear to get extensive love, or reviewed by more present reviewers...would love to know more...
Speaking from personal experience, John Massaria is an avid audiophile, music lover, and all-around nice guy. I have no doubt that his headphones are excellent, great value, and that his service is top notch.

I may get one of his models in the future- the primary reason I have not is that my gear is primarily tailored toward higher-impedance headphones, and John’s best closed-backs (Beryllium-coated drivers) are 32 Ohm spec.

May 23, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #756 of 1,558
Speaking from personal experience, John Massaria is an avid audiophile, music lover, and all-around nice guy. I have no doubt that his headphones are excellent, great value, and that his service is top notch.

I may get one of his models in the future- the primary reason I have not is that my gear is primarily tailored toward higher-impedance headphones, and John’s best closed-backs (Beryllium-coated drivers) are 32 Ohm spec.
Thank you kindly for the solid steer; you have many great insights throughout the threads, so this has piqued my interest even more...just have to decide what to let go, as I am getting to that point in things :)

Many thanks and enjoy the music!

May 24, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #757 of 1,558

I can't believe I almost missed the opportunity to talk about mine.

I had a previous open back version of one of his headphones a while back that was a BioWool set and was a precursor to his current XTC line up. I sold it but picked up the XTC^2.5 which is his current TOTL.

The XTC^2.5 is an amazing closed back. It feels heavy but it's dispersed well. The sound is phenomenal. I have mine tuned Warm but Detailed - bass notes are deep yet detailed, maybe not as much midbass unless the track calls for it. Extremely wide soundstage for a closed back, great details from mids to highs. Love them a lot.

May 24, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #758 of 1,558
I can't believe I almost missed the opportunity to talk about mine.

I had a previous open back version of one of his headphones a while back that was a BioWool set and was a precursor to his current XTC line up. I sold it but picked up the XTC^2.5 which is his current TOTL.

The XTC^2.5 is an amazing closed back. It feels heavy but it's dispersed well. The sound is phenomenal. I have mine tuned Warm but Detailed - bass notes are deep yet detailed, maybe not as much midbass unless the track calls for it. Extremely wide soundstage for a closed back, great details from mids to highs. Love them a lot.
Thanks a million for the insights - that sounds like a sound I could really get to grips with...and I really find the visuals really appealing as well.

Was actually talking to someone on Reddit who was selling the XTC2 open and was about to pull the trigger on that as I look to get an open back to replace my Sundaram- but I'm very partial to closed backs so your post's got my ears tingling (though my wallet might not be feeling quite as excited 😀).

Great to hear they are bringing you musical joy. Cheers!

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #759 of 1,558
Greetings folks! Today my Woo Audio WA33 amplifier will be delivered and I shall post pictures and initial impressions later today. In the meantime, I am now able to entertain Dan Clark Audio headphones, which I've previously dismissed due to their amping requirements. However, I think the WA33 will fit the bill nicely for his headphones.

I am now considering DCA headphones to complement the Abyss 1266 TC. I am curious about the Stealth as Rob Watts said it represents spatial positioning most accurately compared to other headphones he's tried. To this end, Rob Watts uses DCA Stealth to help develop his DACs and also for personal listening. During CanJam NYC, I was able to demo the E3 which has an excellent tuning. More engaging than from what I remember from the Stealth and Expanse.

I ask fellow headphone enthusiasts, what do you think of Dan Clark Audio headphones, and which one would you recommend with a tube amp such as the WA33?

1716573025269.png

May 24, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #760 of 1,558
I ask fellow headphone enthusiasts, what do you think of Dan Clark Audio headphones, and which one would you recommend with a tube amp such as the WA33?
I've not heard the Stealth, Expanse, or E3 but I owned the Ether 2 and heard some of the Aeon models as well as the Voce. The ones I've heard all suffer from an overly dampened sound. I find them slightly compressed, as though the music's dynamics are muffled somewhat. I suspect this quality is amp-dependent, to an extent, but I did notice it on my Ether 2 with some powerful amps, unfortunately. I suspect the WA33 might alleviate this to an extent, given what I've heard about its slam and sense of openness, not to forget its power.

This damped quality is perhaps something I'm fussy about. It may not bother you. The Ether 2 was otherwise an excellent pair of headphones: incredibly comfortable (as is often noted, Dan Clark nails ergonomics); decently resolving for the price, and with a lovely tonality that's slightly warm and very engaging.

A similar headphone, and one that doesn't suffer from the dampened sound, is the Rosson Audio RAD-0. It doesn't have enough treble air or sense of openness, to me. But it's got a lovely tuning and is outstandingly good. It sits in the same price range as the Ether 2. I mention it because, as with Dan Clark Audio, Rosson is also located in California, and it seems you're there, too. Can you audition both with your new amp before buying?

May 24, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #761 of 1,558
I've not heard the Stealth, Expanse, or E3 but I owned the Ether 2 and heard some of the Aeon models as well as the Voce. The ones I've heard all suffer from an overly dampened sound. I find them slightly compressed, as though the music's dynamics are muffled somewhat. I suspect this quality is amp-dependent, to an extent, but I did notice it on my Ether 2 with some powerful amps, unfortunately. I suspect the WA33 might alleviate this to an extent, given what I've heard about its slam and sense of openness, not to forget its power.

This damped quality is perhaps something I'm fussy about. It may not bother you. The Ether 2 was otherwise an excellent pair of headphones: incredibly comfortable (as is often noted, Dan Clark nails ergonomics); decently resolving for the price, and with a lovely tonality that's slightly warm and very engaging.

A similar headphone, and one that doesn't suffer from the dampened sound, is the Rosson Audio RAD-0. It doesn't have enough treble air or sense of openness, to me. But it's got a lovely tuning and is outstandingly good. It sits in the same price range as the Ether 2. I mention it because, as with Dan Clark Audio, Rosson is also located in California, and it seems you're there, too. Can you audition both with your new amp before buying?
I haven’t considered Rosson Audio, but I can check my local DCA dealer and see if they have Rosson brand. I heard the founder was ex-Audeze, could be interesting.

May 24, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #762 of 1,558
Greetings folks! Today my Woo Audio WA33 amplifier will be delivered and I shall post pictures and initial impressions later today. In the meantime, I am now able to entertain Dan Clark Audio headphones, which I've previously dismissed due to their amping requirements. However, I think the WA33 will fit the bill nicely for his headphones.

I am now considering DCA headphones to complement the Abyss 1266 TC. I am curious about the Stealth as Rob Watts said it represents spatial positioning most accurately compared to other headphones he's tried. To this end, Rob Watts uses DCA Stealth to help develop his DACs and also for personal listening. During CanJam NYC, I was able to demo the E3 which has an excellent tuning. More engaging than from what I remember from the Stealth and Expanse.

1716573025269.png
I personally wouldn’t go with the Expanse as they actually have a semi-open back design resulting in stage being more on a bit smaller side, and it’s tuning also doesn’t help with this.
As for being overly dampened - they all are, which result in absence of air movement, like the sound is correct but lacks dynamics.
Other than that Stealth are great headphones that provide TOTL level of details, so could be a nice choice.
Noirs are more mid-fi, fun and v-shaped sounding, but they could also be sibilant unless you use supplied filters which unfortunately dampen sound even more.
An undampened take on a Stealth-like sound could be Rognir Planar with solid pads.

May 24, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #763 of 1,558
IMG_0865.jpeg

The Fantastic Four on the listening desk tonight 🔥

May 24, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #764 of 1,558

Why don’t u go for Susvara instead of dan clark? For me personally i think susvara is a wonderful complement for 1266tc and it is better than any dan clark hp. Ymmv

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #765 of 1,558
Why don’t u go for Susvara instead of dan clark? For me personally i think susvara is a wonderful complement for 1266tc and it is better than any dan clark hp. Ymmv
I am keeping an eye on the Susvara 2, but DCA has a certain ‘pure’ sonic signature that I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back