THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 16, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #481 of 1,549
Yes definitely. A few years ago, there were very few amps in this power zip code that were made as dedicated headphone amps.

Consider the AIC10 is actually made to drive both headphones and speakers (it drives my rather inefficient B&W 805 D3 pretty well), so the power under the hood of this amp is pretty significant (it’s published specs are 10W class A, but it actually has an AB that kicks in above that for around 20-30W depending who you ask; Riviera is one of the rare brands that under reports its specs rather than inflate them). That type of power output wasn’t readily available in headphone amps 3-4 years ago.

That said, to this day, one can use speaker amps (as long as you have quality volume control).

You’re definitely a go-big-or-go-home kinda guy… love it! :ksc75smile:

Congrats buddy!!
I use 803D for main rig, wonder if we share common sound pref apart from genre... 😎

May 16, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #482 of 1,549
May 16, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #483 of 1,549
Currently burning in a pair of ATH-M30x. Got them for my dad so he could listen to YouTube videos on his PC. They're nicer than anything he's had in modern times. Initial impressions are that the m40x sound more natural, smoother and have a richer timbre to them. These sound a bit harsh and bassy and up-front. Detail is pretty decent tho while I feel the mids are a bit recessed in favor of more bass. Very slight sibilance on some tracks which I'm not a fan of but these ARE more for monitoring than listening enjoyment. The only reason I got these for him over something like a Samson or AKG was that these were closed back (and he's not going to be able to tell the difference). I'll continue listening tho and make a final determination later on how I feel about them. My m40x took about 4 hours of burn-in so I'm expecting that timeframe on these.

May 16, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #484 of 1,549
I haven't owned it, but I'd take a look at the Mola Mola Tambaqui. Every time I demo it, I'm struck by how spacious and open its presentation is, which may synergize well with a warm amp. @HONEYBOY has one that I know he loves; perhaps he can offer some insight.

(I'd have gotten one a long time ago, but it has only XLR out, and I need both XLR and RCA outs for my amp)

As I'm using the Chimera cable with the AIC10 like you, super curious whether you find a notable difference connecting throug h the speaker taps vs. headphone out.. awaiting your report 🙏😉
@tawmizzzz The Tambaqui is a really great piece, and I love the combo of this DAC with the WA23, but with the WA23 being unapologetically warm, I suspect this combo may still be too warm for you. I'm curious as to what your primary headphone is though. I am trying to understand whether your slight qualm is with the warmth or whether you just need more treble bite.

@goldwerger True on the single XLR out. They do provide some XLR to RCA out plugs in the box, but I can understand if some may find this blasphemous.

May 16, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #485 of 1,549
@goldwerger True on the single XLR out. They do provide some XLR to RCA out plugs in the box, but I can understand if some may find this blasphemous

I wonder if an updated model is forthcoming (last year there were some rumors for a week or two)? If so, hope they fix that one issue 🙏

May 16, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #486 of 1,549
I wonder if an updated model is forthcoming (last year there were some rumors for a week or two)? If so, hope they fix that one issue 🙏

molamolatambaqui.jpg

I can’t help but wonder where they’ll put it given the cramped space at the back. I wouldn’t want the size to change one bit—I find its compactness part of its charm, especially when you compare it to more voluptuous products from dCS, for example.

While I'd be surprised if there was an update, the Grimm MU2 has piqued my interest. I’ve had a listen and liked what I heard, but I’d need a home audition before considering parting with the Tambaqui. The idea of replacing my MU1 and cables with just one device is incredibly appealing. However, the Grimm doesn’t quite match the Tambaqui in build quality and software robustness.

May 16, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #487 of 1,549
While I'd be surprised if there was an update, the Grimm MU2 has piqued my interest. I’ve had a listen and liked what I heard, but I’d need a home audition before considering parting with the Tambaqui. The idea of replacing my MU1 and cables with just one device is incredibly appealing. However, the Grimm doesn’t quite match the Tambaqui in build quality and software robustness.

Yea that one is purported to be a good product. I’d be curious to try it one day.. if you do, let us know 🙏

May 16, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #488 of 1,549
@tawmizzzz The Tambaqui is a really great piece, and I love the combo of this DAC with the WA23, but with the WA23 being unapologetically warm, I suspect this combo may still be too warm for you. I'm curious as to what your primary headphone is though. I am trying to understand whether your slight qualm is with the warmth or whether you just need more treble bite.
I am using predominantly the Susvara and the Elites. Also had the Calderas for a bit. I guess compared to the Ferrum OOR + Hypsos, I noticed WA23 to have darker treble (but obviously vastly improved musicality in the midrange, texture, and stage). WA23’s engagement is just on another level. I think I’d agree with you-warmth isn’t really an issue but I would like a bit of that treble sparkle to shine through.

I actually have the Wavedream Signature with me currently and it does balance out the tonality being a more neutral DAC than the Wavelight. Treble is extended and airy, but you do take a hit in the midrange romanticism and timbre due to how incisive and fast the transients are. Great combo so far-will give it some time and see how it plays out!

I read that MMT is a bit more on the analytical/cold side which I imagine can synergize well with the WA23. Nonetheless, I think my next step is to finally check out the Takatsuki 2A3 tube rolling hype :)

May 16, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #489 of 1,549
Is that due to lack of HP amps at the time able to drive them sufficiently? (Zeos 465 comes to mind)
yea; at that point there were only a handful of high powered headphone amps; which was why a lot of people ended up experimenting with speaker tapping vintage AV receivers / power amps + preamps.

AHB2 was just a newer, smaller form factor with good measurements. (which sparked the THD hype train, but that's for another day)

May 17, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #490 of 1,549
Does anyone have any recommendations for cool audio stack furniture for amps? I'm considering moving them off of my desk if I can find something tasteful. Also thinking I may need a cool headphone wall situation lol. Maybe there is a forum on here for audio furniture hacks, but it seems like a good water cooler topic.

Right now one of my hacks for hiding headphones is a plain old file cabinet. I took the big bottom drawer and attached a long shoe horn from Ikea as a hanging rail. The headphones just drape down over a felt pad I stuck to the bottom. It sounds ugly, but it is actually great. It is where my non-ZMFs live mostly.

1715922795263.png

May 17, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #491 of 1,549
Being a HP guy I was constantly looking for the equivalent Watercooler, very glad you made this thread.
Just adding my thanks to @goldwerger for this thread. I am 80 : 20 headphone : IEM listener and while the watercooler is great fun for the camaraderie and content, this will be a wonderful complement to it. Kudos!

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #492 of 1,549
Does anyone have any recommendations for cool audio stack furniture for amps? I'm considering moving them off of my desk if I can find something tasteful.

For components, Solidsteel has some beautiful racks and various sizes and price points. Quality is just superb.

Here is how I organized my current setup (Solidsteel HY-L), except one more amp that didn’t fit there..🤷‍♂️

IMG_0045.jpeg

Just adding my thanks to @goldwerger for this thread, I am 80 : 20 headphone : IEM listener and while the watercooler is great fun for the camaraderie and content, this will be a wonderful complement to it. Kudos!

Most welcome. I am really just so happy to find that this may serve the need for our community to come together around our common passion for headphones 🙏

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

May 17, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #493 of 1,549
Does anyone have any recommendations for cool audio stack furniture for amps? I'm considering moving them off of my desk if I can find something tasteful. Also thinking I may need a cool headphone wall situation lol. Maybe there is a forum on here for audio furniture hacks, but it seems like a good water cooler topic.

Right now one of my hacks for hiding headphones is a plain old file cabinet. I took the big bottom drawer and attached a long shoe horn from Ikea as a hanging rail. The headphones just drape down over a felt pad I stuck to the bottom. It sounds ugly, but it is actually great. It is where my non-ZMFs live mostly.

1715922795263.png

I've seen some on AudioAdvisor that I've been tempted to consider. They can be modified/changed however you need them.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/furniture/audio-racks/pangea-audio-racks/

Pangea - also has add ons/alternate shelves to further adjust.

I think Solidsteel is also sold on AudioAdvisor and Salamander is definitely on there but Salamander is definitely up there on price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back