The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 7, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #3,586 of 3,728
With all of the talk lately of the Aegis I should prolly re-post my Aegis review I did way back when. Granted this is a review of the DIY version, but apparently the ZMF version sounds essentially the same, with some nice quality of life features thrown in.
If you just want my down and dirty, quick opinion of the Aegis, FF to 18:20

As the unit in @Monsterzero’s video is the one I have at home, I can only confirm that “this is a brilliant amp”. It truly stands unique in its character, having a magnificently large soundstage and a very refined presentation. I especially love it with the Tungsten and Caldera, but honestly everything I ever tried with it sounds great.

May 8, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #3,587 of 3,728
With all of the talk lately of the Aegis I should prolly re-post my Aegis review I did way back when. Granted this is a review of the DIY version, but apparently the ZMF version sounds essentially the same, with some nice quality of life features thrown in.
If you just want my down and dirty, quick opinion of the Aegis, FF to 18:20

@Monsterzero I've seen somewhere your post where you state that ZMF Atriums/ACs are great from OTL, but for metal they are better from SS. I agree with that and for me there is a similar relation between OTL and SS for other ZMFs I have and my amps: Violectric V550 and Feliks Euforia Evo.

I'm considering replacing my both amps with ZMF Aegis. I just want to have one high-end amp, to stop switching between them and overanalysing the sound, and enjoy the music and maybe only switch my headphones depending on my mood. More simplicity. However, on the other hand, I'm afraid the Aegis would sound less powerful and less fast for rock/metal than V550 and less "magical" than Euforia OTL for other (slower) genres.

I believe you also like a whole range of faster and intensive music genres, and also have Aegis/OTL/V550, so what's your take on this?

May 8, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #3,588 of 3,728
And I should add that I really like both V550 and Euforia Evo, I'm just in the phase of my audiophile life when I got tired of multiple amps/DACs/cables/streamers, constantly experimenting, comparing the sound, etc, and I just want simple chain (streamer ->TT2 or some good R2R -> one amp) to drive all my ZMFs: VC, AO, AC, and potentially other headphones in future (CO, CC, maybe some Abyss)

May 8, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #3,589 of 3,728
@Monsterzero I've seen somewhere your post where you state that ZMF Atriums/ACs are great from OTL, but for metal they are better from SS. I agree with that and for me there is a similar relation between OTL and SS for other ZMFs I have and my amps: Violectric V550 and Feliks Euforia Evo.

I'm considering replacing my both amps with ZMF Aegis. I just want to have one high-end amp, to stop switching between them and overanalysing the sound, and enjoy the music and maybe only switch my headphones depending on my mood. More simplicity. However, on the other hand, I'm afraid the Aegis would sound less powerful and less fast for rock/metal than V550 and less "magical" than Euforia OTL for other (slower) genres.

I believe you also like a whole range of faster and intensive music genres, and also have Aegis/OTL/V550, so what's your take on this?
Hey Joe
I actually do not own the Aegis. It's been a year and a half since I heard the very first prototype, which is now owned by @goldwerger
However I do own the Airmid, and both the Airmid and Aegis share many similar traits, so I feel fairly confident in the following opinions.

First, both Aegis and Airmid are quite linear sounding for tube amps. Like on my previous OTL, the Glenn, I could get that to sound pretty thick, lush and super warm. Not so on the Airmid. In fact the v550 pro is warmer than the Airmid, though the v550 is a bit faster and more incisive.
I do not have any problem enjoying metal out of the Airmid, nor do I recall having any issues with the Aegis either, but at the end of the day, most solid state amps will trump a tube amp when it comes to speed. Unless you're getting into metal that has blindingly fast double kick or blastbeats, you should be fine. If you do listen to brvtal extreme metal I cannot really advise as that's not in my wheelhouse of preferred genres.

As far as powerful/dynamics coming from the Aegis, I wouldn't worry too much about that at all. Of course tube rolls will def play a part in what you will get out of any tube amp, so you might have to do some experimenting with various tube combos.

I have not heard the Evo so I cannot compare its emotional factor with slower stuff vs. Aegis.

I do understand about wanting just one amp to rule them all, and the Aegis is certainly up to that task. Whether or not it will satisfy you though, I have no idea.

May 8, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #3,591 of 3,728
Hey Joe
I actually do not own the Aegis. It's been a year and a half since I heard the very first prototype, which is now owned by @goldwerger
However I do own the Airmid, and both the Airmid and Aegis share many similar traits, so I feel fairly confident in the following opinions.

First, both Aegis and Airmid are quite linear sounding for tube amps. Like on my previous OTL, the Glenn, I could get that to sound pretty thick, lush and super warm. Not so on the Airmid. In fact the v550 pro is warmer than the Airmid, though the v550 is a bit faster and more incisive.
I do not have any problem enjoying metal out of the Airmid, nor do I recall having any issues with the Aegis either, but at the end of the day, most solid state amps will trump a tube amp when it comes to speed. Unless you're getting into metal that has blindingly fast double kick or blastbeats, you should be fine. If you do listen to brvtal extreme metal I cannot really advise as that's not in my wheelhouse of preferred genres.

As far as powerful/dynamics coming from the Aegis, I wouldn't worry too much about that at all. Of course tube rolls will def play a part in what you will get out of any tube amp, so you might have to do some experimenting with various tube combos.

I have not heard the Evo so I cannot compare its emotional factor with slower stuff vs. Aegis.

I do understand about wanting just one amp to rule them all, and the Aegis is certainly up to that task. Whether or not it will satisfy you though, I have no idea.
Thank you for your insight. I'm rather into classic metal or trash, not too brutal :wink: I hope that I won't end up with all three of these amps after all, although my previous experiences seem to point to this scenario :laughing:

May 8, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #3,593 of 3,728
Thank you for your insight. I'm rather into classic metal or trash, not too brutal :wink: I hope that I won't end up with all three of these amps after all, although my previous experiences seem to point to this scenario :laughing:
Yeah, I mean if its within your financial and logistical means, I'd keep all three in your chain for awhile before deciding which amp(s) to keep and which to move on from.

Classic metal, like Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Ozzy, Accept, Angel Witch,etc will not tax the Aegis one bit. Some thrash might sound slightly snappier out the Vio, but again I do not really have any issues at all via the Airmid.

I will add that there are times when I just want to sit down and listen to headphones immediately without having to wait to warm up some tubes for 30 minutes before it sounds half way decent, so if for no other reason than that, I like to keep a solid state amp in rotation at all times.

May 8, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #3,594 of 3,728
I will add that there are times when I just want to sit down and listen to headphones immediately without having to wait to warm up some tubes for 30 minutes before it sounds half way decent, so if for no other reason than that, I like to keep a solid state amp in rotation at all times.
Definitely this! I could happily own just the Aegis and be fully happy. But sometimes I just have 30 minutes and want to listen to music. Or I forgot to turn on the tube amp to warmup. And thats why I keep a solid state around.

May 8, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #3,595 of 3,728
Everyone's situation varies of course but I wouldn't want to be without a decent solid-state even just as a backup.

May 8, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #3,596 of 3,728
Definitely this! I could happily own just the Aegis and be fully happy. But sometimes I just have 30 minutes and want to listen to music. Or I forgot to turn on the tube amp to warmup. And thats why I keep a solid state around.

first, big caveat - I don't listen to metal. so my insights cannot be in context

that said - I find the Aegis very powerful and effortless in feel. it is very fast and precise. not "tuby" like warmness as much as super refined, delicate, fast, and spacious. The tubes come through in how pristine and holographic the presentation comes across. imho, it can definitley be a one-and-done amp for anyone who wants that (I do not, but I could be happy with it I were limited to one amp). The tube rolling, especially output tubes, provides some meaningful tuning option. Specifically, my current preference is for either the Mullard EL37, which take the above to the max in terms of refinement and spaciousness; or Tung-Sol 6550 (NOS), which offers more weight and texture and extra heft in the bass.

hope this helps convey a bit of "color', as much as conveying subjective impressions is possible..

May 8, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #3,597 of 3,728
first, big caveat - I don't listen to metal. so my insights cannot be in context

that said - I find the Aegis very powerful and effortless in feel. it is very fast and precise. not "tuby" like warmness as much as super refined, delicate, fast, and spacious. The tubes come through in how pristine and holographic the presentation comes across. imho, it can definitley be a one-and-done amp for anyone who wants that (I do not, but I could be happy with it I were limited to one amp). The tube rolling, especially output tubes, provides some meaningful tuning option. Specifically, my current preference is for either the Mullard EL37, which take the above to the max in terms of refinement and spaciousness; or Tung-Sol 6550 (NOS), which offers more weight and texture and extra heft in the bass.

hope this helps convey a bit of "color', as much as conveying subjective impressions is possible..

Have you tried GEC KT66s in there? I also really like the TS 6550 and Mullard EL37, but the KT66s might be my favorite.

May 8, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #3,598 of 3,728
Have you tried GEC KT66s in there? I also really like the TS 6550 and Mullard EL37, but the KT66s might be my favorite.

Not yet...! will have to... 🙏

May 8, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #3,599 of 3,728
You guys talking about the Aegis here has been really helpful - on the dedicated threads it's more praise and less insight into the sound signature. When folks like @Monsterzero say that if he could pull a Marty McFly he'd just go with an Aegis, it piques my interest but I am also chasing the tubiest of tube sounds. I have what I consider 3 end-game, TOTL tube amps and I sometimes sit (bask?) in front of them and admit I have way too many. But I can't imagine who I'd vote off the island between the Glenn OTL, HA-300B, or DNA Stratus. When I see @Wes S leave his HA-300B for the Aegis, I notice. Plus, I have great tubes already on hand for it, so now as I bask in my amps, I wonder who should go to make room (the fact that the ZMF version allows 5U4Gs is really appealing to me, particularly).

I heard the Aegis at Canjam last year and the word that stuck in my head was "diffuse". Massive sound stage, but without the thump of the HA-300b or the mid-range clarity/focus/elevation of the Stratus, but those were show conditions and I discounted them. Let alone the magic of the Glenn, the layering is holographic and three dimensional and the impact is near 300b level with my current tubes.

The recent descriptions above remind me of the SW-51, but with massive stage. Dryer, more solid state, fast, less reverb or decay. For those recent posters, is that how you hear it, or have you experienced the SW-51 to compare it, in terms of soundstage. The only SS amp I have is a Piety and that's more tubey than the SW-51 was, and in my tube chase the latest effort is a custom-built PCM63 tube DAC with 6SN7 and EZ80 tubes... tubes upon tubes. I don't own any planars and don't plan to (I prefer electrostats to planars, particularly classic, easy to drive estats).

So to those who have spent extensive time with the Aegis, in non-show conditions, can I stop being obsessed with the Aegis if I'm chasing that warm, wet sound on dynamic cans?

May 8, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #3,600 of 3,728
You guys talking about the Aegis here has been really helpful - on the dedicated threads it's more praise and less insight into the sound signature. When folks like @Monsterzero say that if he could pull a Marty McFly he'd just go with an Aegis, it piques my interest but I am also chasing the tubiest of tube sounds. I have what I consider 3 end-game, TOTL tube amps and I sometimes sit (bask?) in front of them and admit I have way too many. But I can't imagine who I'd vote off the island between the Glenn OTL, HA-300B, or DNA Stratus. When I see @Wes S leave his HA-300B for the Aegis, I notice. Plus, I have great tubes already on hand for it, so now as I bask in my amps, I wonder who should go to make room (the fact that the ZMF version allows 5U4Gs is really appealing to me, particularly).

I heard the Aegis at Canjam last year and the word that stuck in my head was "diffuse". Massive sound stage, but without the thump of the HA-300b or the mid-range clarity/focus/elevation of the Stratus, but those were show conditions and I discounted them. Let alone the magic of the Glenn, the layering is holographic and three dimensional and the impact is near 300b level with my current tubes.

The recent descriptions above remind me of the SW-51, but with massive stage. Dryer, more solid state, fast, less reverb or decay. For those recent posters, is that how you hear it, or have you experienced the SW-51 to compare it, in terms of soundstage. The only SS amp I have is a Piety and that's more tubey than the SW-51 was, and in my tube chase the latest effort is a custom-built PCM63 tube DAC with 6SN7 and EZ80 tubes... tubes upon tubes. I don't own any planars and don't plan to (I prefer electrostats to planars, particularly classic, easy to drive estats).

So to those who have spent extensive time with the Aegis, in non-show conditions, can I stop being obsessed with the Aegis if I'm chasing that warm, wet sound on dynamic cans?
As an avid fan of the HA300MK2 and now planning on going straight Aegis, the Aegis truly offers everything the HA300MK2 does and actually a bit more as well.

I had the same reaction hearing one at CanJam Dallas as you did, and honestly I was not expecting to ditch my HA300MK2 at all. However, once I heard the Aegis in my own home, it was clear (pun intended) to me that it is playing on a different level. The HA300MK2 is thick and slams, and the Aegis is not as thick in the lower mids, but can most definitely slam just as hard. The HA300MK2 sounds a bit veiled after hearing the Aegis, and honestly I never thought that before the Aegis entered into my life. The Aegis has just as expansive staging if not more as well, of which is something the HA300MK2 does extremely well. The decay and reverb with the Aegis is also just as good or better. I feel the Aegis has better balance from top to bottom, and is tighter sounding overall. Lastly, the Aegis is dead silent with all my ZMF's, and the HA300MK2 is not. I personally think the Aegis pairs better with all ZMF's, however if I owned some brighter headphones from other manufacturers, I could see the HA300MK2's lower mids warmth a plus.

The Aegis has it all without any weaknesses, and is truly something special. I personally think it's the perfect amp, and especially for ZMF headphones.

So with all that said, I would keep being obsessed and get you one. :wink: With the Aegis you still get all the tubey goodness and euphony, it's just super tight and balanced as well, with a TOTL level of clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back