The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 26, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #3,541 of 3,586
I have no regrets with deciding to go all-in on the ZMF universe. Between amp, tube, and headphone rolling, there's a limitless journey of sonic exploration. Trying out different amps/dacs (+pads, tubes) is a huge time investment, but once you get the sound dialed in it's absolutely worth the time and effort.

trio8.jpg
What a lovely setup, very well described above- and congratulations!

It’s a great feeling to have a fine-tuned setup, and so fun to get new albums/tracks and discover new artists when you hit that state.

I will always be grateful to the brilliant makers of our gear- the joy they give us through the emotionally powerful reproduction of great music is a precious gift.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #3,542 of 3,586
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #3,543 of 3,586

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #3,544 of 3,586
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #3,545 of 3,586
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #3,547 of 3,586
Apr 27, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #3,548 of 3,586
May 4, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #3,550 of 3,586
Hello everyone - just dropping in to say "greetings from Nashville".

I am going to the ZMF family of owners having purchased on the of the Atrium Open stabilized resin offerings that was released a few weeks ago. I went back and forth on several options and was guided with great feedback to all of my questions. Looking forward to getting these in-house in the next few weeks or so, I will be using the headphones in a somewhat "desktop" centric system.

Which brings me to my next question - a good DAC-headphone amp combo like the Chord TT2 (currently by top choice), the Weiss 501, something else, or some some type of DAC along with a tube amp like the new Aegis that is being discussed.

While I listen to all kinds of genres, the thing I love most is an enveloping soundstage. Because I am rather technical, the presentations and theory of operation for the Chord TT2 and M-Scaler are very compelling. My Linn gear, like Chord, uses an FPGA and a custom output stage which is wonderful in every respect. Ergo, I am drawn to Chord has for a more compact system, But I can be flexible on this. I have enjoyed tubes in the past but tfor one reason or another I had nothing but trouble with them but willing to consider again.

Anyway ZMF owners, what would you think might be good options to consider?

May 4, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #3,551 of 3,586
• DAC recommendation: Musician Taurus (uses FPGA with R2R laddering).

• Tube HPA recommendation: Icon Audio HP8 Signature.

• Disclosures: I own these and a number of ZMF (dynamic-driver) headphones. I am seriously considering Aegis (not to replace HP8).

May 4, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #3,552 of 3,586

I am going to the ZMF family of owners having purchased on the of the Atrium Open stabilized resin offerings that was released a few weeks ago. I went back and forth on several options and was guided with great feedback to all of my questions. Looking forward to getting these in-house in the next few weeks or so, I will be using the headphones in a somewhat "desktop" centric system.

Which brings me to my next question - a good DAC-headphone amp combo like the Chord TT2 (currently by top choice), the Weiss 501, something else, or some some type of DAC along with a tube amp like the new Aegis that is being discussed.

While I listen to all kinds of genres, the thing I love most is an enveloping soundstage. Because I am rather technical, the presentations and theory of operation for the Chord TT2 and M-Scaler are very compelling. My Linn gear, like Chord, uses an FPGA and a custom output stage which is wonderful in every respect. Ergo, I am drawn to Chord has for a more compact system, But I can be flexible on this. I have enjoyed tubes in the past but tfor one reason or another I had nothing but trouble with them but willing to consider again.

Personally I'd choose a cheap tube amp and the cheapest Chord device like a Mojo 1 over the TT2 directly. I've enjoyed every Chord DAC I've owned but never particularly as an amp. They all have extremely low output impedance which isn't great for 300 ohm headphones. I've owned every ZMF and there wasn't a one that I preferred on the TT2 over tube amps, or even other solid state amps I've had. When I had the TT2 for a couple years I pretty much used it only as a DAC, and in that situation something like the Qutest isn't terribly far behind. I haven't heard the Aegis directly but knowing the designer's other work, including on my Glenn OTL, and knowing Zach's high praise of it and all his other amps, I doubt there is a much better bang for the buck tube amp out there in that price range.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #3,553 of 3,586

Chord DAVE has quite large soundstage, among largest in the DACs ive heard. Chord TT2 has decent body and but slighly less soundstage. The Burson amps are also a more budget friendly option but still also deliver a large soundstage.

Bartok has slightly lower soundstage than DAVE but has more natural timbre and warmer sound signature

May 5, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #3,554 of 3,586

Congrats on the new Atrium! The chain I had for my Atrium was a Schiit Yggy A2 and DNA Stratus. The Atrium has a lovely rich, organic, analogue sound, and I chose a chain that matched and reinforced those qualities, rather than working against them (as a Chord system would), while also providing as very large soundstage, which is something I also value. This model Yggy is no longer for sale new but used ones can be had for ca. $1.5k. The Stratus can be found for ca. $3k second-hand but only very rarely; new it'll run you to $4k but with a long lead time, perhaps a year. The Stratus is a glorious amp and several people here (@RestoredSparda and @bigjako, I believe, can vouch for it with the Atrium). It has a great set of stock tubes and tube rolling is easy and relatively affordable compared, say, with 300b tubes.

I'd recommend buying used while you experiment. You didn't mention a budget but the Chord TT2 goes for $4.5k open box and over $6 new. I'd be inclined to allocate $4k to an amp and $2k for a DAC. There are lots of good options at those price points.

I've not heard them but am curious about the Aegis and the Cayin HA-300b mk II tube amps. Note that Zach might offer you a deal with a bundle discount with either of these two amps since you bought the Atrium recently. The Decware ZMF OTL would likewise be another option potentially discounted by Zach, check out @goldwerger's review of it.

While I'd suggest the Atrium is best driven by tubes, it can also sound very different with solid state amps, which can make for a more exciting, percussive presentation, depending on the amp. I wonder if a tube hybrid, like a Schiit Mjolnir 2 (used only ca. $500-750) with a couple of sets of different tubes, might also make for a fun contrast to a tube amp - the MJ2 would double-down on the Atrium's slamming excitement and could make for a visceral and fun sound.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #3,555 of 3,586

Welcome to the Atrium family :wink:

I have TT2 and Feliks Euforia Evo / Violectric V550 as amp. I agree that Atrium is really good with OTL tube amps. Euforia is a great OTL amp, especially after upgrading power tubes. For me, TT2 was the best DAC for ZMF headphones, used as a DAC for V550/Euforia. I compared it with quite a few other DACs last year, when I was considering DAC change, including Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, and it was equal or a slight win for TT2, and TT2 also is a combo with a powerful amp (really powerful, I used it with 1266Phi TC and it was more than enough in terms of power, I liked the pairing soundwise too, but it's a subjective thing), great volume control, crossfade, and a really small footprint.
I like direct TT2 out with some ZMF headphones (for example VC, especially with faster or more "artificial" genres of music). Atriums are much better with TT2->Euforia, and comparable/a little better out from TT2->V550. TT2 alone can be sometimes too shouty in higher mids in this combination, although IMO being quite relaxed compared to other Chord DACs.

My recommendation for an initial setup would be to get a good OTL amp (doesn't have to be Euforia, although I really recommend it) and Mojo2, if you are going to use it exclusively with Atriums or other ZMF dynamics. You get a decent transportable DAC which can also drive IEMs and even your Atriums during some travels. Later you can buy stationary DAC (like Qutest or TT2 if you'll like the Chord house sound) or good SS amp.
With this initial setup, you'll get 95% of what you can get from Atriums, and then you can spend many years discussing here about the remaining 5% :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back