The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #3,166 of 3,586
How are you enjoying the Apache with the AC Olive wood? I have that AC and the Apache is in the front running of amps I am considering.
I like it a LOT. I usually run it fully balanced with a Wywires Platinum dual-XLR cable.

It’s fast, clear (literally sounds like zero noise floor), and mildly warm. At the same time, organic and detailed. I definitely agree with folks who have characterized RSA amps as “tube-like” in sound, but by no means does The Apache sound like my OTL tube amp.

Instead it meshes its SS power/speed/punch with some of organic timbre that tubes bring. It is reminiscent of my (now sold) Violectric V200, but with a lot more air/space around instruments and performers.

The reason I sold the V200 (something I still question- it’s a classic amp) was its Achilles heel in comparison to my OTL- the air and space. To me, that part is important because it completes the illusion of being in the venue or the recording studio as opposed to listening to a recording.

The highest praise I can give The Apache is that I have listened to a great jazz recording with my ACs on and I almost forgot I had headphones on. And before you ask- yes, I was sober. 😁

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #3,167 of 3,586
“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.”
― Oscar Wilde

I think you have just somed up our hobby in a quote - this should be a tagline at the top of Head-Fi's home page... :ksc75smile:

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #3,168 of 3,586
How much is the CFA3 if purchased through Dukei? I saw that HeadAmp had a $200 preorder for the commercial version but didnt seen any final prices.

When you cusomt build, you will have some options to choose which can affect the price, but new ones go on or about 3k depending on your specifics. And as @betula pointed out, you can get used in excellent condition at around 2k or so.

Headamp pricing isn't locked because, frankly, I don't think the locked all the details. But I recall it targeted around 3-4k, I'd assume likely 4k. Commercial build would need to be a little more expensive as more margins need to be built into that business model.

The upside of custom build is, well, you can control some of what you get. The upside of a commercial build is (usually when launched) no wait time, and comfort of lcoal vendor for service, in case you need that comfort (most builders like Dukei are fantastic in backing their product, but that engagement isn't for everyone).

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #3,169 of 3,586
You can trust recommendations from @jonathan c, he has (or has tried) all the things. :o2smile:
Well thank you 🙂. There are 'things' that I have not tried; for example, multikilodollar SS amps such as CFA3, dCS Rossini Apex DAC, IEMs of any type, or portable DAPs etc. I am a bookshelf setup / easy chair listener (when I am not working / working out !!) 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #3,170 of 3,586
I have a Eufonika H5 amplifier paired with my Atriums and I am quite happy with the sound. I think the amp is going for $400-$500 now and think that it is a bargain for a beautiful OTL amp. An added plus is that you can use the pre-outs to a solid state amp if you like and enjoy the tube preamp but the solid state power. I am doing this with a THX-789. For electronic music I plug into the SS with the tube pre-out and get the best of both worlds. Not a large investment, but it affords a good amount of flexibility.
IMG_1216 2.jpg

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #3,171 of 3,586
I can only give you my experience with some TOTL amps. I started with the cheaper amps, and went up at a more than quick pace. The GS-X Mini was the first amp that actually made me start to blind test. My wife helped me out with this. The mini was able to separate instruments well, and had great imaging as well. I went to the OOR after that, only because I was offered a great price on the mini. Comparing the two, I found the OOR a little to "flat" sounding for me. I could change this a bit with the hypsos, but that was a huge expense to add to the oor. After selling the OOR, I went back to my old faithful from JDSLabs, element III MK2 boosted. But I was then presented with an amazing price on the GS-X MKII. The GS-X MKII was a hole nother ball game for me. It was a mini in a larger package, but even bigger stage, greater detail, and the power was never in question. Now, I will say that the two TOTL amps I have had, have BOTH been sent in for warranty, where as the mini, and all my JDSLabs gear has never had so much as a hiccup. This is just my experience, but great "end game" gear can be found at less than kilo buck prices. Chasing the dragon so to speak, is what I do as I am happy with my headphone collection (for now). My advice to everyone who asks me is the headphones will make the most difference, gear will make a very small difference, and should only be chased once you are happy with your headphones, and want to try something different. Thats my 2 cents, feel free to ignore them if you choose, as there are a lot of people with more experience than I on this forum.

*edited for atrocious spelling

With the Denafrips Pontus II you don't necessarily have a bad Dac.
As I read it, you're looking for something that goes in a different direction.
It gets a bit difficult at this point because Zach gave the hint that the Ca,dera can react differently to different amps.
And at the end of the day, this is a matter of personal taste.
That's why it's difficult to say that the Holo Bliss or a Mass Kono can be the dead horse.
Because obviously the synergy of the dac and personal impressions also play a role.
I don't know much about SS amps, so I don't know what to recommend and what harmonises with the Denafrips Pontus II.
The Bryston, bliss Mass Kobo are certainly not bad candidates, maybe others have recommendations in this regard.
However, I would stick with the chain with a separate dac and amplifier.
One last tip before it becomes a big purchase the Rca cable from the Dac to the amp might be worth trying something else to give a different and new direction.
And perhaps improve the critical part mentioned above, which might make buying an amplifier superfluous.

“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.”
― Oscar Wilde
Thank you all for your responses.
I have been quite busy lately and I can't elaborate on my answers, but I truly appreciate it.
Seems I am going to get a 2nd hand v550 and see how it performs.
As the guy has made a good offer this saves some money and give me the opportunity to test a new SS while keep an eye on the rest and maybe even a future upgrade.

Regarding OTL tubes, It's on plans too. But I'd like to get "a final" SS before getting a good tube. My current otl tube is a Feliks echo, it's cheap but it really delivers. It's very powerful too.
DNA Stellaris really brings my curiosity.
But will see as this is more of a long term plan.

The Oscar Wilde quote really made my mind up. Certainly only our kind would understand this hahaha

Thanks everyone again. <3

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #3,172 of 3,586
Hi guys and thank you both for your answers.
I've been offered a Vio v550 from June 2021 and I've posted in the Vio thread.
Could take a look and let me know what you think?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...-and-the-successor-to-the-v281.947586/page-68

Thank you very much <3
If you’re in Europe, the EAR HP4 is end game.
No one mentioned it , but that lower priced Mytek liberty thx amp is as good as the v550.
Another endgame universal tube amp is the LTA MZ3 but not from Europe.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #3,174 of 3,586
The new kid on the block! Aune s17 Pro.
Anyone on a budget will appreciate this post!

Why all the Hype? well, this thing sounds very good and competes with amps twice his price. To my ears, better then V222, Burson soloist, and others in that price range.
Very good soundstage, great dynamics, smooth but with all the resolution, and the PREAMP part is great too.
So what's the catch?
You Have to be OK with the following:
-Takes 20+ minutes to reach that good warm sound.
-Low gain Power is best, High gain looses on the soundstage. so not perfect for all cans.
-Best with high impedance cans. As it's better at the 100ma setting and low impedance cans will make it heat too much and revert back to 50ma.
_ last but not least, the 10kohm input may be a problem for dacs with high output impedance.
hence the reason why it's not selling for over $1,200.

so with the high efficiency and high impedance of the ZMF, its perfect!

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #3,175 of 3,586
7C29B8DC-55E7-4895-98B1-5A3597A836AF.jpeg
[ Eikon (LTD Cocobolo); Beyerdynamic A20: the best $400-ish that one can spend on a ZMF-loving h/p/a ☑️ ]

Those Coco Eikon's look killer!

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #3,176 of 3,586
So this happened:
IMG_0398.jpg

Ummmm, the VC's have gone to a whole different level................:L3000:
How long have you had it? Usually takes about a month to break in then things REALLY get awesome.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #3,177 of 3,586
Does anyone have both the Homage and DSHA-3FN? In my never-ending search for the ideal desktop-friendly SS amp and DAC for my ZMFs (Atticus and soon-to-be-ordered Verite that I've been demoing at home for a while) these are the two amps I've been eyeing most recently and I'm wondering how much of an upgrade the DSHA-3FN would be from the Homage, particularly in its spacial presentation. Comparisons between the iHA-6 and either of these two amps would also be greatly appreciated

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #3,179 of 3,586
7C29B8DC-55E7-4895-98B1-5A3597A836AF.jpeg
[ Eikon (LTD Cocobolo); Beyerdynamic A20: the best $400-ish that one can spend on a ZMF-loving h/p/a ☑️ ]
I absolutely love this combination, and it brings such a emotional and in-depth experience...amazing the sound that can come out of such a reasonably-priced pairing. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the music!

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #3,180 of 3,586
In search of a tube amp for my VO.
This track has been my best tool to finding the best vocal sound while doing some tube rolling on my dac. It was recommended to me as one of the best female vocals but when played through different SS dacs and amps, I was not impressed. So I tried a tube dac and it got better but still nothing special! Then I changed the stock tubes to nos Mazdas and suddenly her voice got Bigger, taller, more diffused. I could even hear the echo in the room she was singing.
So now this got me curious about tube amps. But not all will have this warm and forward vocals. One amp I tried that gave me a similar feeling was the feliks Evo. I would like to know if any of you had this experience and can recommend an amp that kind a does that.?
I invite you to try this track if you have different amps or dacs available to see if you hear a difference.
7621375C-4303-4C49-B383-543D47D008F3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back