Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #1,006 of 1,057
Hi, I've actually already tried the Phonitor XE connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC and although it has slightly better technicalities than the ADI-2's headphone output I don't think the upgrade is worth the expense, the Phonitor XE extends well in the high end, it's smooth, neutral open and non-fatiguing and although it has good subs, to my ears it lacks grunt in the bass and mid-bass, the RME in this respect gives me more body and better layering in the low end, although it doesn't have the same openness and smoothness as the Phonitor XE above 2000hz.

This is why I was considering the V550 as from the reviews it seems to be a bit warmer than neutral and maybe it would be able to give me that grunt that the Phonitor XE lacks, the only fear is that the V550 will be too much the opposite of the Phonitor XE is that is it will offer the impact I like in the low end but will be boring in the highs.... I'm in crisis.
I should point out that I used the Phonitor XE only with LCD-X 2021s and nothing else, which are known to be very efficient, low-impedance headphones. Probably the Phonitor XE would be better suited with high impedance headphones, how does the V550 perform with low impedance headphones?

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #1,007 of 1,057
Hi, I've actually already tried the Phonitor XE connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC and although it has slightly better technicalities than the ADI-2's headphone output I don't think the upgrade is worth the expense, the Phonitor XE extends well in the high end, it's smooth, neutral open and non-fatiguing and although it has good subs, to my ears it lacks grunt in the bass and mid-bass, the RME in this respect gives me more body and better layering in the low end, although it doesn't have the same openness and smoothness as the Phonitor XE above 2000hz.

This is why I was considering the V550 as from the reviews it seems to be a bit warmer than neutral and maybe it would be able to give me that grunt that the Phonitor XE lacks, the only fear is that the V550 will be too much the opposite of the Phonitor XE is that is it will offer the impact I like in the low end but will be boring in the highs.... I'm in crisis.
I think there is no need to be in crisis. This amplifier-I'm pretty sure about that—only conveys boredness to the listener if the DAC produces this, don't you think? Capabilities of the DAC, in my case the Mojo2/Poly, will produce excitement, the 550 will transport this excitement and will increase the openness of the sound further.
I do not know the ADI2, but I really trust the capabilities of the Mojo2.
Most people would not Drive the CHORD through the VIOLECTRIC, but it's more about functionality, I always wanted to go balanced headphones and later on possibly upgrade to power hungry headphones.
EDIT: Possibly someday even upgrade DAC. My headphones have an impedance of 32 ohms, transformer coupled amplifiers are reported to suit better to this, but I do not want to order outside of Europe for my second headphone amplifier. I think I try the V550 first, and if this does not fit, most likely I will try another CHORD. I'll try the shortest path first. But I am pretty confident that Violectric will work fine and provide a pretty view on my desktop.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #1,008 of 1,057
The V550's treble is sweet, very slightly flowery not colorful as a castagno honey. It's not dead at all or muted. The ADI-2's treble however isn't exciting in any direction to be honest and I have one here (blue front). I hooked the V550 Pro up to the Yggdrasil OG, the Processor 3 and a Holo May. It doesn't get in the way in any of these cases and pairs wonderfully.

The Chord house sound is always a good match in any case. Gives it a more "earthy" note with added physicality and sweetness.

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #1,009 of 1,057

Boring is most certainly not what it will be. But have you ever considered that your DAC might be the limiting factor here? ^^
Try a Schiit Modius E to get your bearings for example.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,010 of 1,057
, how does the V550 perform with low impedance headphones?
You might already know that low impedance headphones require current, v550 does provide that, I think. As I already said, my headphones have 32 ohms impedance, so they will profit a bit, I only can tell if I have tried this

I might need up to two months until 550 is here, then let's see, I report if you like (it or not :wink:

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #1,011 of 1,057
I think there is no need to be in crisis. This amplifier-I'm pretty sure about that—only conveys boredness to the listener if the DAC produces this, don't you think? Capabilities of the DAC
I'm not entirely convinced of this, as mentioned earlier the headphone output of the ADI-2 gives a more organic layering in the low end than what I got from connecting the Phonitor XE to the balanced and unbalanced outputs of the RME.

I would have to think that what comes out of the balanced and unbalanced outputs on the back of the ADI-2 is not the same as what comes out of the headphone output and somehow the headphone amp colours the sound, otherwise it is the Phonitor that is tuned towards bright neutral and in this case is not producing what the DAC is feeding it.

in my case the Mojo2/Poly, will produce excitement, the 550 will transport this excitement and will increase the openness of the sound further.
I do not know the ADI2, but I really trust the capabilities of the Mojo2.
I also own a Mojo 2 Poly, but I use it exclusively on the move with my IEMs, so I have no need to connect it to a desktop amplifier

Most people would not Drive the CHORD through the VIOLECTRIC, but it's more about functionality, I always wanted to go balanced headphones and later on possibly upgrade to power hungry headphones.
EDIT: Possibly someday even upgrade DAC. My headphones have an impedance of 32 ohms, transformer coupled amplifiers are reported to suit better to this, but I do not want to order outside of Europe for my second headphone amplifier. I think I try the V550 first, and if this does not fit, most likely I will try another CHORD. I'll try the shortest path first. But I am pretty confident that Violectric will work fine and provide a pretty view on my desktop.
I have also considered evaluating other Chord electronics, but I don't know if I would be totally satisfied with the expense of a Hugo 2 or even a TT2, as I consider the latter to be oversized for LCD-X and the Hugo 2 is perhaps too neutral and unforgiving.

The V550's treble is sweet, very slightly flowery not colorful as a castagno honey. It's not dead at all or muted. The ADI-2's treble however isn't exciting in any direction to be honest and I have one here (blue front).
It's true, the ADI-2's treble isn't exciting, or at least not in all cases, perhaps the ADI-2's headphone output doesn't do the DAC justice, which is why I'm looking for an amplifier that offers more air to the treble, the air I was looking for I found with the Phonitor XE but I lost the bass grunt I have with the ADI-2's headphone output instead.

I hooked the V550 Pro up to the Yggdrasil OG, the Processor 3 and a Holo May. It doesn't get in the way in any of these cases and pairs wonderfully.

The Chord house sound is always a good match in any case. Gives it a more "earthy" note with added physicality and sweetness.
I think it also depends a lot on the genre of music you listen to, as I said I own the Mojo 2 so I know the house Chord sound, I listen to the Darksynth genre which has a lot of detail in the bass and mid-bass, and with the LCD-X I have more satisfaction listening to this genre with the RME than with the Mojo2, although the same genre if I listen to it with the Mojo2 and my Andromeda.... makes me reach the Nirvana.
Boring is most certainly not what it will be. But have you ever considered that your DAC might be the limiting factor here? ^^
Try a Schiit Modius E to get your bearings for example.
As explained before, I don't think it's limiting in my case because from the headphone output I get that sound I want in the low range but I don't have much air at the top, while connecting it to the Phonitor XE I got the opposite sound, so the key is the amplifier not the DAC.

You might already know that low impedance headphones require current, v550 does provide that, I think. As I already said, my headphones have 32 ohms impedance, so they will profit a bit, I only can tell if I have tried this

I might need up to two months until 550 is here, then let's see, I report if you like (it or not :wink:
So at the moment you don't have the V550 do I understand correctly?

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #1,012 of 1,057
e opposite sound, so the key is the amplifier not the DAC.

So at the moment you don't have the V550 do I understand correctly?
Correct. My confidence is a result of what I read here (and on ASR) and my reading about alternatives, mixed with requirements for my use case. Testing and trying it's not really an alternative for mes

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,013 of 1,057
Well well well. What can I say...
The goddess of audio has gifted me with an extra bit of cash this month, and what I expected to be getting in a couple months, and so, keep investigating on what my next amp would be, it turns out be a matter of days...
As I wouldn't like to look like a monkey with an ak-47, and start pulling the trigger, I kindly ask you guys to help me with this.

I started eyeing the v550 long ago, and passively started reading the thread. A few weeks ago I started asking a some questions and providing some info of my actual chain.
The time has come, and I don't think I can hold myself too much. 😂

My chain: laptop running on battery only > Foobar > audioquest coffee USB > Denafrips IRIS I2S > Viablue S 920 > Denafrips Pontus II > Viablue NF-S6 AIR > FluxLab Fa-12 > ZMF Grand Silver Palladium > ZMF Caldera / Audeze LCD-X 2019.
All power cables are custom made with top end cable+plugs into an emi reduction for digital sources and direct to power amps.

After this wall of text, I ask you with one hand in my heart and the other in the pocket. v550 or not v550...

Main options I've considered: oor+hypsos, bliss, gs-x mk2 along other options I didn't like that much: Cen-Grand 9i-906, Wells Millo and Bryston BHA-1.

However as I mentioned in previous posts I live in the eu, and I don't really feel like gifting another grand (in €) to Spanish customs.

So in short, v550 or ferrum oor+hypsos (although the v550 it's more to my liking).
And I would even go for the v550pro or even the nimbus us5 pro if it wasn't for the infamous "issue" that clips, pops and bangs like a car. Although for the latter I would have to wait for a couple months more.

It's a bit selfish and I know it's on me to research and take a decision. But after so much reading posts, reviews and watching even more youtube reviews. I can't think of only one review it's not biased nor money supported.

Your opinion matters. Help a monkey with a gun.

Thanks in advance.☺️

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #1,014 of 1,057
Well well well. What can I say...
The goddess of audio has gifted me with an extra bit of cash this month, and what I expected to be getting in a couple months, and so, keep investigating on what my next amp would be, it turns out be a matter of days...
As I wouldn't like to look like a monkey with an ak-47, and start pulling the trigger, I kindly ask you guys to help me with this.

I started eyeing the v550 long ago, and passively started reading the thread. A few weeks ago I started asking a some questions and providing some info of my actual chain.
The time has come, and I don't think I can hold myself too much. 😂

My chain: laptop running on battery only > Foobar > audioquest coffee USB > Denafrips IRIS I2S > Viablue S 920 > Denafrips Pontus II > Viablue NF-S6 AIR > FluxLab Fa-12 > ZMF Grand Silver Palladium > ZMF Caldera / Audeze LCD-X 2019.
All power cables are custom made with top end cable+plugs into an emi reduction for digital sources and direct to power amps.

After this wall of text, I ask you with one hand in my heart and the other in the pocket. v550 or not v550...

Main options I've considered: oor+hypsos, bliss, gs-x mk2 along other options I didn't like that much: Cen-Grand 9i-906, Wells Millo and Bryston BHA-1.

However as I mentioned in previous posts I live in the eu, and I don't really feel like gifting another grand (in €) to Spanish customs.

So in short, v550 or ferrum oor+hypsos (although the v550 it's more to my liking).
And I would even go for the v550pro or even the nimbus us5 pro if it wasn't for the infamous "issue" that clips, pops and bangs like a car. Although for the latter I would have to wait for a couple months more.

It's a bit selfish and I know it's on me to research and take a decision. But after so much reading posts, reviews and watching even more youtube reviews. I can't think of only one review it's not biased nor money supported.

Your opinion matters. Help a monkey with a gun.

Thanks in advance.☺️
I never listened to v550, but I had Ferrum Oor+Hypsos with US 5 Pro at the same time. Oor was a great little warm amp, but I remembered that US 5 Pro was better almost on anything. I assume V550 pro is close to Niimbus.

TBH, I have more faith in Violectric if you don't care about the volume pot issue on some units.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,015 of 1,057
Hey guys, I've been offered a Vio v550 from June 2021 for 1300€. It's second hand from a guy didn't use it too much.

I have the bill and I could transfer the warranty right? The amp looks good, like new.

The guy selling it lives closes to me and has even offered to come to my house so I can test it.

Should I make the try? I don't really need the pentagon connection.

Should make a big difference new vs used?

Is the v550 from 2021 different in sound with the 2023 version?

I does have controller, everything works and he has even the manual.

What type of tests should I do if I ask the guy to come over?

Thanks in advance

Video: https://streamable.com/02kwql
Some Pictures:

IMG-20240130-WA0060.jpg

IMG-20240130-WA0061.jpg

IMG-20240130-WA0062.jpg

IMG-20240130-WA0054.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0015.jpg

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,016 of 1,057
Hey guys, I've been offered a Vio v550 from June 2021 for 1300€. It's second hand from a guy didn't use it too much.

I have the bill and I could transfer the warranty right? The amp looks good, like new.

The guy selling it lives closes to me and has even offered to come to my house so I can test it.

Thanks in advance

Some Pictures:

I would test all gain levels to verify they work, all buttons on remote/unit. Make sure volume pot works with no issues, test the balance control and all the inputs/outputs, and test all your headphones with your favorite tracks. Everything you would do if you received a new one. And if your satisfied, and want to keep it, then do so. If you have any reservations at all, don't hesitate to walk away. I think the warranty follows the amp, if you have the original receipt, at least that was how it worked with my Ferrum Oor.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #1,017 of 1,057

Thanks in advance

Some Pictures:

IMG-20240130-WA0060.jpg
IMG-20240130-WA0061.jpg
IMG-20240130-WA0062.jpg
IMG-20240130-WA0054.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0015.jpg
Seems like a smoking price. Did you pick it up?

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #1,018 of 1,057
No, I end up not picking it. There was some confusion regarding the ticket and I didn't like the way the guy talked about prices and so.
At the end I will wait and go for nimbus or the Feliks envy (more comfortable with the later).
In anyway, I have concluded that I am just going for totl, I don't want more middle ways that keep me thinking of upgrading.
Also the 2nd handed with 3 months warranty left didn't really suit me.
But thanks everyone for helping ☺️

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #1,019 of 1,057
V550 just came in. No GS-X MKII to compare to, but that will come in time. -12db selected for gain, volume is 9:30-10 o'clock for quieter listening, 12 o'clock for mid volume, 2-3 o'clock for loud listening for me. Even with the HeKv2's and EQ applied. Need to spend some time with it, and my WA22, for some comparisons. So far, the knob feel is addictive, almost as addictive as the Element MKIII v2's, but I don't think anything will ever top that one. No channel imbalance that I can hear, if my OCD wins out I might measure it at some point, but if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind lol.

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #1,020 of 1,057
V550 just came in. No GS-X MKII to compare to, but that will come in time. -12db selected for gain, volume is 9:30-10 o'clock for quieter listening, 12 o'clock for mid volume, 2-3 o'clock for loud listening for me. Even with the HeKv2's and EQ applied. Need to spend some time with it, and my WA22, for some comparisons. So far, the knob feel is addictive, almost as addictive as the Element MKIII v2's, but I don't think anything will ever top that one. No channel imbalance that I can hear, if my OCD wins out I might measure it at some point, but if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind lol.
Let me know how it compares to Element MKIII v2👋

Users who are viewing this thread

Back