The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jan 14, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #3,106 of 3,553
Reposting here on advice of @Monsterzero (thanks!)- the question is quite a different price tier to many of the discussions here, but ZMF synergy expertise is much appreciated!
---
Hey all,

Have been in this hobby about 3 years and have progressed from Koss PortaPros to having a small collection that really meets my needs at present; in particular, I love the ZMFs that I have (Eikon, Atticus and Auteur in that order, with Bokeh to arrive soon) and the rich and emotional experience that they bring to the music when I kick back and relax.

Currently, my main ZMF listening chain is the Mojo 2 and Beyerdynamic A20 - with the A20 in particular being a revelation as it opens up the ZMFs and brings something special to them.

Funds are tight, but I have been fortunate to get an Amazon vouchers that can use to upgrade my chain. The best options I can see there are:
The XDuoo TA-26s to get an OTL, which is a technology I understand ZMFs shine with (there is also the option to get the Valhalla 2, but I am not sure that brings the richness and fuller tube effect with the ZMFs) or
The Musician Draco, which is a stretch at the pricepoint, but which would bring R2R into the chain which I understand is something special as well (Was also considering the EF400 or EF600 to get the R2R flavour - but USB only input doesn't meet my current needs, and I am already well covered for SS amps I think...)
Unfortunately, I am in a country where auditioning anything is impossible to have to buy blind... and I am limited to Amazon at present, so can't explore alternative stores. I have a Violectric V202, IFI Zen Can and Garage1217 Project Ember II so not looking at solid state or hybrids as those needs are pretty well covered I think.

I know that YMMV and all, but any insights from more knowledgeable peeps about the best next step would be very much appreciated. Enjoy the music!

I was in the same boat as you. I bought an A20 and I liked it a lot with my Eikons, but I wanted to try a good tube amp. Fortunately last Christmas I foun a used, maybe 10 years old Woo WA6 se ( 1st gen ) for a great price and I pulled the trigger.
I have little experience with tube amps, in the past I had an Eufonika H7 and Xduoo ta26, but this Woo is something different. Versatile, as it drives all my cans ( unless HE6, which I prefer on SS ). Quiet ( no hum, no interferences) and yes, sound improves in every way, is a joy to hear.

It came with these tubes and accesories:

1 x WooAudio 6SE (PSU+Drive) + Umb
2 x Sylvania 6FD7,
2 x Raytheon 6EW7,
2 x RCA 6DE7,
2 x GE 6DE7,
2 x Zenith 6DN7
1 x Watford/Harma STR-GZ34
1 x RCA JAN 5V4G,
Golden Dragon Tube Rings: 1xTR-7, 2xTR-2, 2xTR-32 x
WooAudio 13EM7 to 13DE7 Adaptor
2 x Glenn's 6DN7 to 6DE7 Adaptor
1 x Senheisser Desk Headphone Holder
Remarks:- Mod by WooAudio Black-Gates caps/DACT CT2- Custom mod (+/- 200 Eur) from PartsconneXion / Audiophonics / AnalogueSeduction- 1 rear input routed as output (Low-Z)

I find the Raytheon 6EW7 pairing wonderfully with the Eikons, but I´m new to tube rolling so it´s time to listen and try different combinations...

Woo and Eikons.jpg

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #3,107 of 3,553
I know this is the amp thread but I hope this fits in here as well. I recently got the Cayin IHA-6 and it sounds great. Especially the high impedance output is great for AO and VO.
It actually boosts the bass a bit, it was even measureable with my MiniDSP Ears which I didn't expect to be honest.

I am thinking about getting the IDAC-6 as well now to complete the stack. What is the consensus about it?
Especially the possibility to switch to the tube buffer sounds interesting to me, does it actually make a difference though or is it just a nice gimmick no one actually ever uses?

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #3,108 of 3,553
I was in the same boat as you. I bought an A20 and I liked it a lot with my Eikons, but I wanted to try a good tube amp. Fortunately last Christmas I foun a used, maybe 10 years old Woo WA6 se ( 1st gen ) for a great price and I pulled the trigger.
I have little experience with tube amps, in the past I had an Eufonika H7 and Xduoo ta26, but this Woo is something different. Versatile, as it drives all my cans ( unless HE6, which I prefer on SS ). Quiet ( no hum, no interferences) and yes, sound improves in every way, is a joy to hear.

It came with these tubes and accesories:

1 x WooAudio 6SE (PSU+Drive) + Umb
2 x Sylvania 6FD7,
2 x Raytheon 6EW7,
2 x RCA 6DE7,
2 x GE 6DE7,
2 x Zenith 6DN7
1 x Watford/Harma STR-GZ34
1 x RCA JAN 5V4G,
Golden Dragon Tube Rings: 1xTR-7, 2xTR-2, 2xTR-32 x
WooAudio 13EM7 to 13DE7 Adaptor
2 x Glenn's 6DN7 to 6DE7 Adaptor
1 x Senheisser Desk Headphone Holder
Remarks:- Mod by WooAudio Black-Gates caps/DACT CT2- Custom mod (+/- 200 Eur) from PartsconneXion / Audiophonics / AnalogueSeduction- 1 rear input routed as output (Low-Z)

I find the Raytheon 6EW7 pairing wonderfully with the Eikons, but I´m new to tube rolling so it´s time to listen and try different combinations...

Woo and Eikons.jpg
Oh wow, that sounds like an amazing kit and great set of tubes to play with. I was intrigued by that model, particularly as it has variable voltage (or at least the newer model does I think) which is of interest for future living situations. Sounds like a versatile one and done for sure. I'm OK with having a few different types (SS, OTL, hybrid) for variety of moods and needs so looking at the TA-26, or something similar as an OTL entry if it is worth it... thanks for sharing!

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #3,109 of 3,553
Oh wow, that sounds like an amazing kit and great set of tubes to play with. I was intrigued by that model, particularly as it has variable voltage (or at least the newer model does I think) which is of interest for future living situations. Sounds like a versatile one and done for sure. I'm OK with having a few different types (SS, OTL, hybrid) for variety of moods and needs so looking at the TA-26, or something similar as an OTL entry if it is worth it... thanks for sharing!

Sure, the TA26 is a decent amp, very well bult and not expensive. But, if I were you, with the headphones you already have, I would save save and go for something bigger...

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #3,110 of 3,553
I've been quiet on this thread for so long as I worked through a lot of gear, listening room and life changes but finally hooked the setup back up again today and had a chance to belatedly listen to my Atrium with a Christmas present - my very own Grand Palladium cable. It was the perfect xmas present - something I wouldn't have bought on my own but something I appreciate A LOT - thanks @zach915m... and my wife, too, but she doesn't read these so, yeah. I made a point of not rolling in any new tubes, amps or pads so I could appreciate this beautiful baby, and I have to say, I am impressed by a cable. I'd recently spent a lot of time hunting for ZMF cables, and have been using PlusSound, LQI and Forza cables while ogling 2K's in the used market but couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on a cable. Anyways, I skipped past GO and now have the Grand Palladium and just want to stan for this thing. It's early hours, but 2 things stand out for me - clarity and slam. I have a preference for hybrid copper/silver cables, in my experience. I hate all-silver cables (too sharp!), but find all-copper to be a little kludgy. The Grand Palladium does seem to be the perfect material combo - the clarity is absolutely crystal clear. I was most surprised by the slam, it's almost a little slam-heavy, to be honest, and I could see some folks prefer the Silver Grand Palladium, but not me.

I also hear an improvement in stage but need to work through that... maybe more about separation than stage, but we'll hear it out.

I know this is the ZMF amp forum, and if there was a ZMF cable forum, I'd post it there but I figure it's relevant to everyone here. Moderate improvement! 10-20% better, in my estimation.

Edit: one of the reasons I hinted at this as a suitable present :wink: is because I read somewhere that the cable created the impression that the volume had been turned up. As a low-volume listener, that jumped out at me. I know the benefit I get from turning things up for what Zach's referred to as 'focused listening' but I LOVE listening at low volumes in between meetings at my desk, or during focused creation time. After listening, I get why someone would say that - it is 100% true to some/much degree and that slam I mentioned adds to it. Louder is definitely still better but the stage benefits and the TEXTURE benefits are there at lower volumes - but the thing that stands out to me is that the overall volume seems lower, even while I turn the volume up. I guess I do agree. I have the Stratus at about 15% and the details and stage feel like it's at 25-30%.

Edit 2: The slam is little rounded. I love it as it is, but it is rounded. Soft like a velvety sledgehammer.

Edit 3: RICH. That is how I would describe this cable. Clear, while being rich in slam, separation and texture. So fullbodied.

PS: the best tube organizers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274614223213

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #3,111 of 3,553
Sure, the TA26 is a decent amp, very well bult and not expensive. But, if I were you, with the headphones you already have, I would save save and go for something bigger...
Thanks kindly! Sounds like the sweet sound of temptation is calling me again 😂 I had promised myself - and my wife - that my audio upgrade journey was over last summer when I got the Eikon, Auteur and A20 in short order...and I really believed that was it for quite a while, fool that I am...mind you, there are few things in life that brings joy so in the grand scheme of things, if we can get joy - why not! Cheers.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #3,112 of 3,553
I've been quiet on this thread for so long as I worked through a lot of gear, listening room and life changes but finally hooked the setup back up again today and had a chance to belatedly listen to my Atrium with a Christmas present - my very own Grand Palladium cable. It was the perfect xmas present - something I wouldn't have bought on my own but something I appreciate A LOT - thanks @zach915m... and my wife, too, but she doesn't read these so, yeah. I made a point of not rolling in any new tubes, amps or pads so I could appreciate this beautiful baby, and I have to say, I am impressed by a cable. I'd recently spent a lot of time hunting for ZMF cables, and have been using PlusSound, LQI and Forza cables while ogling 2K's in the used market but couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on a cable. Anyways, I skipped past GO and now have the Grand Palladium and just want to stan for this thing. It's early hours, but 2 things stand out for me - clarity and slam. I have a preference for hybrid copper/silver cables, in my experience. I hate all-silver cables (too sharp!), but find all-copper to be a little kludgy. The Grand Palladium does seem to be the perfect material combo - the clarity is absolutely crystal clear. I was most surprised by the slam, it's almost a little slam-heavy, to be honest, and I could see some folks prefer the Silver Grand Palladium, but not me.

I also hear an improvement in stage but need to work through that... maybe more about separation than stage, but we'll hear it out.

I know this is the ZMF amp forum, and if there was a ZMF cable forum, I'd post it there but I figure it's relevant to everyone here. Moderate improvement! 10-20% better, in my estimation.

Edit: one of the reasons I hinted at this as a suitable present :wink: is because I read somewhere that the cable created the impression that the volume had been turned up. As a low-volume listener, that jumped out at me. I know the benefit I get from turning things up for what Zach's referred to as 'focused listening' but I LOVE listening at low volumes in between meetings at my desk, or during focused creation time. After listening, I get why someone would say that - it is 100% true to some/much degree and that slam I mentioned adds to it. Louder is definitely still better but the stage benefits and the TEXTURE benefits are there at lower volumes - but the thing that stands out to me is that the overall volume seems lower, even while I turn the volume up. I guess I do agree. I have the Stratus at about 15% and the details and stage feel like it's at 25-30%.

Edit 2: The slam is little rounded. I love it as it is, but it is rounded. Soft like a velvety sledgehammer.

Edit 3: RICH. That is how I would describe this cable. Clear, while being rich in slam, separation and texture. So fullbodied.

PS: the best tube organizers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274614223213

As someone looking to treat himself to a real nice cable, I certainly appreciate the timing of this post! I have been weighing this and something nice from Viking Weave.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #3,113 of 3,553
Good deals pop up all the time for used cables on the Classifieds, so set up some notifications and you’re bound to find something soon. I personally can’t justify paying full price for new cables when so much nice used stuff gets sold her every day.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #3,114 of 3,553
Good deals pop up all the time for used cables on the Classifieds, so set up some notifications and you’re bound to find something soon. I personally can’t justify paying full price for new cables when so much nice used stuff gets sold her every day.

indeed.... (just put myself a cheaper viking weave for sale)

most of my cables I bought on the classified, from the highest end (chimera) to the affordable ones (lots of forza cables) -- those really don't degrade with use, assuming decent prior owners who haven't soaked them in water...:wink:. the only new cables I have are the upgrades I got with new ZMF headphones and one crazy vikin weave upgrade with the Tungsten, but I really do try to buy those used. usually sell for about 50% retail depending on case

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #3,115 of 3,553
A49CF2EA-DEC9-45EF-B134-40F85CD6A2F0.jpeg

[Cetron 7236, pair Brimar CV455 (KB/FB, Footscray, 1956), Pulse Tube Store adapters (12Axx --> ECC88)]

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #3,117 of 3,553
indeed.... (just put myself a cheaper viking weave for sale)

most of my cables I bought on the classified, from the highest end (chimera) to the affordable ones (lots of forza cables) -- those really don't degrade with use, assuming decent prior owners who haven't soaked them in water...:wink:. the only new cables I have are the upgrades I got with new ZMF headphones and one crazy vikin weave upgrade with the Tungsten, but I really do try to buy those used. usually sell for about 50% retail depending on case

I have definitely been keeping an eye on classifieds for this very reason.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #3,118 of 3,553
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #3,119 of 3,553
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #3,120 of 3,553
No. It is a book of Francis Wolff's photographs which graced Blue Note album covers.

ahhh! I'll have to look this up, was not aware of this - thanks for the education

I have tons of Blue Note CDs, I'm now genuienly curious 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back