The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jul 25, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #1,996 of 3,765
Anyone using ZMF headphones with Dark Voice 337SE?
I use mine with ZMF sometimes. If you just want to try tubes/OTL without spending a lot, it's not a bad deal. I've had mine for several years and before I got my first ZMF so it's been reliable. I've done a ton of tube rolling as well and the sockets have stood the test. With clean power and good tubes it is surprisingly good. There are also some mods/improvements that can be done if you're up for some basic soldering. I've threatened to upgrade caps and disconnect the pre-amp out on mine a few times, but hasn't happened yet.

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #1,998 of 3,765
Hi all, I finally made it through all of the posts, now I feel like I have more questions than I started with 🤣 I just recently was fortunate enough to pick up a set of AO, I'm still using the Ifi zen stack I began this hobby with ~ a year ago. I'm not unhappy with it, but naturally I'd like to experience more of what these cans are capable of.

I originally had a shortlist of amps/dacs which has expanded greatly based on a lot of your recommendations. At the moment I'm leaning towards upgrading my dac next. I was taking a hard look at the Gustard R26 as I think I enjoy the warm/musicality signature, but if I eventually settle on a tube amp next paired with the AO, it might be a bit too much of a good thing?

I'm contemplating an offering from Violectric, or possibly a bifrost 2/64 but may have the opportunity to pick up the newer eversolo dmp-a6 which are both supposedly slightly more neutral. I think I may hold off til next year or at least late this year to start my tube journey as I've already splurged more than I was planning on. If anyone has any input on pairing either of these with something like a feliks echo, I'd love to hear your opinion and of course I'm open to further suggestions! TIA!

Jul 26, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,999 of 3,765
Hi all, I finally made it through all of the posts, now I feel like I have more questions than I started with 🤣 I just recently was fortunate enough to pick up a set of AO, I'm still using the Ifi zen stack I began this hobby with ~ a year ago. I'm not unhappy with it, but naturally I'd like to experience more of what these cans are capable of.

I originally had a shortlist of amps/dacs which has expanded greatly based on a lot of your recommendations. At the moment I'm leaning towards upgrading my dac next. I was taking a hard look at the Gustard R26 as I think I enjoy the warm/musicality signature, but if I eventually settle on a tube amp next paired with the AO, it might be a bit too much of a good thing?

I'm contemplating an offering from Violectric, or possibly a bifrost 2/64 but may have the opportunity to pick up the newer eversolo dmp-a6 which are both supposedly slightly more neutral. I think I may hold off til next year or at least late this year to start my tube journey as I've already splurged more than I was planning on. If anyone has any input on pairing either of these with something like a feliks echo, I'd love to hear your opinion and of course I'm open to further suggestions! TIA!

I just upgraded from a Bifrost 2 to a Gustard R26. The Gustard sounds warm but less warm than the Bifrost 2. But I think that could be because it's ultimately less blurry and muddy sounding than the Bifrost 2. It's so much clearer, soundstage is dramatically improved (especially depth), etc. I have the Auteur OG and it sounds 30-35% better on the Gustard versus the Bifrost. I doubt it would make the AO sound overly warm.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #2,000 of 3,765
I just upgraded from a Bifrost 2 to a Gustard R26. The Gustard sounds warm but less warm than the Bifrost 2. But I think that could be because it's ultimately less blurry and muddy sounding than the Bifrost 2. It's so much clearer, soundstage is dramatically improved (especially depth), etc. I have the Auteur OG and it sounds 30-35% better on the Gustard versus the Bifrost. I doubt it would make the AO sound overly warm.
Appreciate the feedback, have you paired the Gustard with a tube amp by chance?

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #2,001 of 3,765
If anyone has any input on pairing either of these with something like a feliks echo, I'd love to hear your opinion and of course I'm open to further suggestions! TIA!
I second the prior comment that a slightly warm, organic-sounding DAC (preferably R2R/ladder-topology) coupled with a solid-state amp that is warmer than neutral won’t overly color the AO, though ultimately it will come down to your ears and taste. 😊 I’m making the statement above based on my preferences, of course.

What I and many other ZMF fans have found is the formula of an R2R/ladder DAC source + OTL tube amp + ZMF dynamic headphones = bliss.

To your question about the Feliks Echo- the Echo is a fine amp, and if it fits your budget, buy it and don’t look back. 😊 You might want to get some improved driver tubes over time, though.

If your budget can stretch to around $ 1,000 and you don’t mind the limitations of an OTL tube amp, a used Woo Audio WA2 is a significant step up in quality (I made that jump). I honestly have no interest in going further down the tube rabbit hole, after upgrading my tubes and making other tweaks (power-related).

That said, I’m still a fan of (budget permitting) having a solid-state amp as an option for various reasons, but that is a bit of a luxury to be sure… :gs1000smile:

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #2,003 of 3,765
Anyone using an Innous Phoenix USB (or NET) in their chain, and if so how big of an impact did it make for you?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #2,004 of 3,765
Anyone using an Innous Phoenix USB (or NET) in their chain, and if so how big of an impact did it make for you?
Nobody? Buehler?!?

So, I was set to send my DAC back to Switzerland for the upgrade to make my DAC the Mark ll, but after reading numerous glowing reviews, that all essentially said that the Phoenix is the single largest upgrade ever, I'm reconsidering the DAC upgrade and opt for the Phoenix USB instead.

I can get my ears on one in my chain, but I don't want to do so until I'm financially ready to pull the trigger....

So again, if anyone has even a brief listen to it, I'd appreciate your input.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #2,005 of 3,765
Nobody? Buehler?!?

So, I was set to send my DAC back to Switzerland for the upgrade to make my DAC the Mark ll, but after reading numerous glowing reviews, that all essentially said that the Phoenix is the single largest upgrade ever, I'm reconsidering the DAC upgrade and opt for the Phoenix USB instead.

I can get my ears on one in my chain, but I don't want to do so until I'm financially ready to pull the trigger....

So again, if anyone has even a brief listen to it, I'd appreciate your input.
Have you ever had a DDC (w/ or w/o reclocker) in your chain? These devices are worth having no matter how good your DAC is.

I have one that costs quite a bit less than the Phoenix USB, and clearly doesn't have as many tricks up its sleeve: the MATRIX Audio X-SPDIF (original). I found this DDC has sonic effects that are subtle, positive and beneficial, above and beyond the core sound of the DAC. I knew the moment I installed it this DDC was a keeper. It's primary effects are enhanced image stability, slightly increased soundstage, and slightly more solid and impactful bass. It's not an earthshaking sonic transformation, but these incremental sonic improvements are worth having.
  • An added benefit of the Matrix is it outputs signal in I2S format suitable for a number of DACs w/I2S input. My current DAC connected to this DDC does not have I2S input, but if I ever get a DAC that does, it's covered.
All to say I'm a fan of DDCs in general. I regard them as building on the worthwhile sonic benefits I get from SPDIF converters that allow me to use a high-quality silver coax cable as the DAC's input.

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #2,006 of 3,765
Have you ever had a DDC (w/ or w/o reclocker) in your chain? These devices are worth having no matter how good your DAC is.

I have one that costs quite a bit less than the Phoenix USB, and clearly doesn't have as many tricks up its sleeve: the MATRIX Audio X-SPDIF (original). I found this DDC has sonic effects that are subtle, positive and beneficial, above and beyond the core sound of the DAC. I knew the moment I installed it this DDC was a keeper. It's primary effects are enhanced image stability, slightly increased soundstage, and slightly more solid and impactful bass. It's not an earthshaking sonic transformation, but these incremental sonic improvements are worth having.
  • An added benefit of the Matrix is it outputs signal in I2S format suitable for a number of DACs w/I2S input. My current DAC connected to this DDC does not have I2S input, but if I ever get a DAC that does, it's covered.
All to say I'm a fan of DDCs in general. I regard them as building on the worthwhile sonic benefits I get from SPDIF converters that allow me to use a high-quality silver coax cable as the DAC's input.
The Phoenix isn't actually a DDC. It's USB in, USB out, and counter-intuitively, the better USB cable should be used into the Phoenix, as opposed to into the DAC. Odd.
The dude over at Audio Bacon detailed this in his review. Apparently USB cable rolling is a thing now.

Anyways, I'm pretty much set on getting one at this point, so I'll take one for the team. Now I just have to figure out a way to get the funds without my wife strangling me.

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #2,007 of 3,765
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #2,008 of 3,765
The Phoenix isn't actually a DDC. It's USB in, USB out, and counter-intuitively, the better USB cable should be used into the Phoenix, as opposed to into the DAC. Odd.
The dude over at Audio Bacon detailed this in his review. Apparently USB cable rolling is a thing now.

Anyways, I'm pretty much set on getting one at this point, so I'll take one for the team. Now I just have to figure out a way to get the funds without my wife strangling me.

I’m curious about their NET version. Been think of converting the last Ethernet proverbial mile into optical and back to test the value of isolation (beyond having my server already in a remote location). I wonder if this would provide a similar benefit

Jul 28, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #2,009 of 3,765
I’m curious about their NET version. Been think of converting the last Ethernet proverbial mile into optical and back to test the value of isolation (beyond having my server already in a remote location). I wonder if this would provide a similar benefit
I am in a similar situation and had the same thought, and would love to know this as well. I have all other areas of my system dialed in and this would be the final tweak I am looking to do.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,010 of 3,765
I have all other areas of my system dialed in and this would be the final tweak I am looking to do.
Sounds like you have nowhere else to pour money, so you HAVE to try it! :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back