The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 26, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,666 of 3,732
Beautiful verite you have there, which one is it?
What kind of wood?

Your Atticus also sends one at first sight.
It looks like an edge, but it's not.
Great effect at first sight.👍😊👍😊
Hi Goldweger, I'm new so I didn't know if you were responding to me. But I'll assume that you were. The Verite is in Sapele wood and I have the lambskin pads as extras.

Thanks for the comments on the Atticus. It's a very romantic headphone regarding its voicing and you can't go wrong if you just love the music. It works really well with amps on the dry side of things or those that are way neutral and unemotional. Though those kind of amps don't stay here long. :)

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,667 of 3,732
Because the transformer is the primary determinant of sound quality in an OTC/OTL headphone amplifier.

Differences in OTC and OTL are OTC has mains and output transformers and OTL just mains transformers. OTC - output transformer coupled ; OTL - output transformerless.

Want to know more about Single Ended vs Differential and Series feed vs Parallel feed (aka Parafeed)? or CCS Constant Current Source? :relaxed:

Read on ...
https://wtfamps.com/headphone-output-stages/

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,668 of 3,732
** A good OTC/OTL headphone amplifier will be somewhat heavy because of the transformer(s) - power, output, or both. The quality of the materials, the quality of the windings in the transformer(s) add to the cost and weight of the headphone amplifier. Why this focus? Because the transformer is the primary determinant of sound quality in an OTC/OTL headphone amplifier.
I don’t want to take things too far off topic and perhaps it is because I’m new here, but could you explain what a OTC/OTL headphone amp is? You speak of the output transformer being the “primary determinant” of sound quality yet, my understanding of OTLs is they are output transformerless to avoid this. I listen to horns with OTLs. …Just looking for understanding, not trying to nitpick what you have said. Thanks

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,671 of 3,732
I don’t want to take things too far off topic and perhaps it is because I’m new here, but could you explain what a OTC/OTL headphone amp is? You speak of the output transformer being the “primary determinant” of sound quality yet, my understanding of OTLs is they are output transformerless to avoid this. I listen to horns with OTLs. …Just looking for understanding, not trying to nitpick what you have said. Thanks
OTC is output transformer coupled. OTL is output transformer less. An OTL can still have a power transformer in it.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #1,672 of 3,732

Then there's Allnic Audio who have OTL/OCL amps. Which are output transformerless and capacitorless (in the signal path).

https://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2021/2/18/epcvdco6oljh7fo5hk67c1mwrltx2o

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #1,673 of 3,732
Hello all, I would like to make a question about amplifiers for a VO, may be a little bit difficult one, but I think this is the best place to make it 😉

After a lot of reading, I have crystal clear the right way for ZMF (and high impedance) hp’s is a tube amp (OTL or TC), but the point is that currently (for some reasons) I feel it’s not my “tube” moment, yet

So, my question might be, would I be losing too much of the benefits of an OTL/TC amp (sweetness, liquidity, 3D soundstage, warmth, etc) if I go for something like a Vioelectric amp? (to be paired with a Bifrost2/64 when it is available)

I thought about the Magny Piety as well (that is available yet), but there are two things here: first I would have to pay almost double its price to bring it to EU (160$ becomes almost 300$ with transport, VAT and Customs fee), and second, I prefer something closer to an “end-game” chain (may be someone called the V222/V226 an “early end-game”?), and my impression (may not be right) is that the Piety is more a very good/casual complement when you already have other good amps at home

Any other suggestion would be more than welcome

Thanks a lot!
I had that same fear but ended up tubes were by far my preference over solid state. I had never heard a tube amp but when I finally got it set up in my house I was floored! I sold my Burson Soloist GT soon afterwards because it never got used.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,674 of 3,732
I had that same fear but ended up tubes were by far my preference over solid state. I had never heard a tube amp but when I finally got it set up in my house I was floored! I sold my Burson Soloist GT soon afterwards because it never got used.
Many thanks for the answer! Interesting indeed how so many people love their tube amps! I'm looking for solutions to my space issues. And have thought to take my VO to an audio dealer and demo some amps (tube and solid state). Usually the conditions are not the best, but anyway I think it will enough to form an opinion :)

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #1,675 of 3,732
Hewwww! I’ve just finally completed reading this entire thread.

Recently received my first pair of ZMF headphones, Vérité Open LTDs. And I absolutely LOVE their look, their feel, their quality craftsmanship, and their way of making music. Also feel pretty certain this is only the first of perhaps several ZMFs.

Thank you Zach & co.

I was looking to see what might be some ZMF specific amplifier favorites amongst this experienced community. There seems to be a pretty strong sweet spot for many things valve based and especially OTLs. Very nice. This is also music to my ears.

Thank you everyone who contributed here.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,676 of 3,732

Recently received my first pair of ZMF headphones, Vérité Open LTDs. And I absolutely LOVE their look, their feel, their quality craftsmanship, and their way of making music. Also feel pretty certain this is only the first of perhaps several ZMFs.

Thank you Zach & co.

I was looking to see what might be some ZMF specific amplifier favorites amongst this experienced community. There seems to be a pretty strong sweet spot for many things valve based and especially OTLs. Very nice. This is also music to my ears.

Welcome aboard! If you read through all 112 pages, you have doubtless seen many specific recommendations. You may have also noticed that there does not seem to be a type of amp that does not play well with ZMFs. OTL tubes, OTC tubes, SS - all have their fans. If you have any questions in regard to your use-case scenario or listening preferences, this is the place!

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,677 of 3,732

Thank you Zach & co.

Really nice post, and I agree - Lots of very helpful people in this thread.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #1,678 of 3,732
Apr 27, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,679 of 3,732
Impressive effort and diligence :)

Welcome!
Felt it was a prerequisite. And appreciated quite a few of your observations along the way. Thanks. I believe this may start to make me a better Head-Fier, ZMF lover, and possibly give me some clue before I attempt to throw Watt dollars adrift. :)

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,680 of 3,732
Many thanks for the answer! Interesting indeed how so many people love their tube amps! I'm looking for solutions to my space issues. And have thought to take my VO to an audio dealer and demo some amps (tube and solid state). Usually the conditions are not the best, but anyway I think it will enough to form an opinion :)
Yes you will have a good enough idea of what they both sound like. Hopefully you will have a wow moment like I did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back