The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,681 of 3,765
Due to some temporary space restraints, I've been without speakers and my DNA Stratus for a few weeks. In the meantime I've been strictly using the Benchmark HPA4 solid state amp and enjoying it a lot with the VO, VC and AO. It's got such a clean, neutral, highly resolving sound with a ton of power. It just gets out of the way and lets the headphones take center stage. Once I adjusted to daily listening I haven't found myself missing the Stratus, but I'm still looking forward to getting it back in action at some point.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #1,682 of 3,765
Due to some temporary space restraints, I've been without speakers and my DNA Stratus for a few weeks. In the meantime I've been strictly using the Benchmark HPA4 solid state amp and enjoying it a lot with the VO, VC and AO. It's got such a clean, neutral, highly resolving sound with a ton of power. It just gets out of the way and lets the headphones take center stage. Once I adjusted to daily listening I haven't found myself missing the Stratus, but I'm still looking forward to getting it back in action at some point.
Does the HPA4 use similar technology as the THX AAA 789? I wonder how similar they sound?

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,683 of 3,765
Does the HPA4 use similar technology as the THX AAA 789? I wonder how similar they sound?

I believe it's similar technology but I've never heard the 789 so I'd be guessing on how they compare. I picked up the HPA4 primarily for use as a pre-amp going to the AHB2 power amp. I love the sound of that combo in my two channel system.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #1,684 of 3,765
So glad it's weekend again. Spending quality time with my family and also having some "me-time" with my favourite VO. Have been listening to music mostly through the Cayin HA-6A these days but sometimes I do alternate with my Violectric V280. What I can say is the VO sounds fantastic regardless which amp I choose; just slightly different presentation. The V280 provides punchier, more precise bass, faster transients while the HA-6A (based on my tubes set-up of Mullard CV491, SE EL34 and RCA 22DE4) provides more of that romantic and holographic mids, smooth decay and wide staging which I very much adore. The resolution, timbre and tonality of VO is 1st-class. Not to mention (most of us being ZMF fanboys/aficionados would know) that any ZMF headphone we have is always unique in that no 2 headphones are alike due to wood variances. I have mine in Camphor Burl wood and I find it just so pleasing to the eyes. With the right amps, the VO is such a perfect headphone (to me) in both aesthetics and acoustics; all rolled into one.

Enjoy the music everyone !

1682759836347.png

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,685 of 3,765
So glad it's weekend again. Spending quality time with my family and also having some "me-time" with my favourite VO. Have been listening to music mostly through the Cayin HA-6A these days but sometimes I do alternate with my Violectric V280. What I can say is the VO sounds fantastic regardless which amp I choose; just slightly different presentation. The V280 provides punchier, more precise bass, faster transients while the HA-6A (based on my tubes set-up of Mullard CV491, SE EL34 and RCA 22DE4) provides more of that romantic and holographic mids, smooth decay and wide staging which I very much adore. The resolution, timbre and tonality of VO is 1st-class. Not to mention (most of us being ZMF fanboys/aficionados would know) that any ZMF headphone we have is always unique in that no 2 headphones are alike due to wood variances. I have mine in Camphor Burl wood and I find it just so pleasing to the eyes. With the right amps, the VO is such a perfect headphone (to me) in both aesthetics and acoustics; all rolled into one.

1682759836347.png
Beautiful mate. I can't wait to add VO Stabilised to my VC in November. Fingers crossed there are some stunning stabilised options this year.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,686 of 3,765
Beautiful mate. I can't wait to add VO Stabilised to my VC in November. Fingers crossed there are some stunning stabilised options this year.
All ZMFs in LTD or Stabilised wood are always worth the wait. Knowing Zach, there will always be something across the different models to keep us excited and engaged with the brand.

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,687 of 3,765
I'm sure there will be. I think they've only gotten more interesting and better looking over the years, especially now with the other elements of color like the fabric under the grill, chassis, and strap.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,688 of 3,765
Not to mention (most of us being ZMF fanboys/aficionados would know) that any ZMF headphone we have is always unique in that no 2 headphones are alike due to wood variances.
It's a feature, not a bug!

(excellent comments in your post)

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,689 of 3,765
All ZMFs in LTD or Stabilised wood are always worth the wait. Knowing Zach, there will always be something across the different models to keep us excited and engaged with the brand.
Speaking of beautiful LTDs. I got these from Zach back in March as B stock (same price as stock). Whatever the blemish is, I can’t find it. I love the bulbinga w the steel grills. Can’t imagine ever getting rid of them.

At the time, he had a number of stabilized models as well. Not sure if they were b stock or just ones not sold or experiments. These caught my eye the most and never asked about the others he had.

Attachments

• IMG_7153.jpeg
    IMG_7153.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,690 of 3,765

1682759836347.png

Nice Post! And a little love to the VO that seems to be the "forgotten" brother these days 😉

Yesterday night I had a Pink Floyd session with my VO to start off right the weekend. With that smooth detailed sound and the holografic soundstage of the VO it was so engaging that at 3 a.m I had to say ok, it's enough, I have to sleep!...

P.S. Very interesting and clear descripotion of the sound with both amp

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,691 of 3,765
Speaking of beautiful LTDs. I got these from Zach back in March as B stock (same price as stock). Whatever the blemish is, I can’t find it. I love the bulbinga w the steel grills. Can’t imagine ever getting rid of them.

At the time, he had a number of stabilized models as well. Not sure if they were b stock or just ones not sold or experiments. These caught my eye the most and never asked about the others he had.
Stunning "B Stock" pair!! Congrats!

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,692 of 3,765

Damn, those are a beautiful! I'll have the after-image in my eyes for the next hour...

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #1,693 of 3,765
The ZMF Atrium Closed headphones are exquisite, lush and expansive off the new Decware/ZMF Reference OTL (preamp) + Decware Taboo (amp):

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #1,694 of 3,765
The ZMF Atrium Closed headphones are exquisite, lush and expansive off the new Decware/ZMF Reference OTL (preamp) + Decware Taboo (amp):

Looks like a mad scientist laboratory! Very cool. 👍

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,695 of 3,765

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back