The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Oct 17, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #61 of 3,548
I got it on trade with the intention of keeping for only a little while but it is now growing on me and proving to be a nice side piece to the stratus.

Stratus was never meant for me. I cancelled my order for it after 8 months of waiting all because I got hooked on Sansui vintage amps. Sansui passed their entire transformer business to Hashimoto in 1979.

See how it's all connected. :)

So if not for Sansui, I would have gotten my DNA Stratus but then I would have missed out on the glorious sound of Sansui au-alpha 907mr. I even listen to Verite Open on it. Soundstage is as wide as the horizon and you have to experience the majestic sound of muscular amps like the Sansui driving Verite Open, HD650 and Beyer T1 v2. :)

IMG_0498.jpg

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #63 of 3,548
8A0A0680-8D67-4784-A672-B2F8DED213BB.jpeg

Here’s my Atrium + my Ampsandsound Mogwai SE rev2. It’s an absolutely magical pairing with my VC but the Atrium is missing something on it and I actually prefer it on my Cayin iHA-6 so far. It’s a little too gooey for the atrium at the moment, I’m going to try rolling some different rectifier tubes. Current tube roll is:
RCA 5U4G rectifier (nos)
RCA 12AU7 input (nos)
Tung Sol 6550 drivers (np)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #64 of 3,548
My zmf collection with the versatile Stratus. I love every zmf headphone with the Stratus which is not what I can say with too many other amps. I’ve had lots of amps that worked wonders with some Zmf’s but not all. This is why the Stratus has become reigning champion for me. Glad it works well with the Caldera as well. My dac is an Ayon Audio Sigma. 2nd best to my beloved Ex Lampizator Atlantic. One day I will get her back. Maybe even a Golden Gate instead. The Atlantic was the best Dac I’ve ever owned or heard for my tastes. (I only sold it because my phono setup matched it with too many similarities and wanted my digital front end to have a different sonic flavor. Now I’m back to just a digital front end and.) Glorious midrange, realistic and warm without sacrificing natural details. Not a analytical bone in its body but still very resolving.
@Monsterzero hope you are loving your lampi! Please don’t make the same mistake I did and look for better as it will be hard to find and will haunt your dreams when it’s gone. 😂

Next to the Stratus is my Triode Labs Finale F138 EL84 amp.
Wow! That is a beautiful collection of ZMF headphones. Do you listen to other types or predominantly ZMF?

Is the Ayon a good DAC? They are an interesting company delving into the world of both amplification and Digital with high end individual components. They get great reviews in both spaces. Lampi is the ultimate undigital DAC. I can understand why you miss it.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful collection and set up!

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #65 of 3,548
When I had all these amps with Verite and my other headphones. The Odyssey putter is the brainchild of my current Odyssey amp. :)

IMG_2009.jpg
Now there’s an audiophile with proper ancillary hobbies. Golf is my other obsession besides the bizarre world of audio.

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #66 of 3,548
Oct 17, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #67 of 3,548

Here’s my Atrium + my Ampsandsound Mogwai SE rev2. It’s an absolutely magical pairing with my VC but the Atrium is missing something on it and I actually prefer it on my Cayin iHA-6 so far. It’s a little too gooey for the atrium at the moment, I’m going to try rolling some different rectifier tubes. Current tube roll is:
RCA 5U4G rectifier (nos)
RCA 12AU7 input (nos)
Tung Sol 6550 drivers (np)
On my nautilus I had tried

RCA 5u4g NOS
RCA 7052 (quiet 12ax7 variant)
Tung sol 6550 NOS

So similar to yours but I didn’t like it. What I settled on and really enjoy was swapping out the 5u4g for nos mullard 5ar4 and the bigger difference was swapping the 6550s for kr audio kt88 new production.

Kron audio was started but a Czech guy obsessed with tubes and it shows. He’s deceased and now run by his wife.

The first setup was a little closed off and the beautiful mids on the atrium is recessed.

Second setup you get a fuller sound with the mids sparkling. Plus 5u4g is directly heated so it’s powered up right away and slams the other tubes with current before they’re ready… heard it shortens the life as it strips the cathode. The kt88s are my gems so I’d rather use the 5ar4 anyway

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #68 of 3,548
On my nautilus I had tried

RCA 5u4g NOS
RCA 7052 (quiet 12ax7 variant)
Tung sol 6550 NOS

So similar to yours but I didn’t like it. What I settled on and really enjoy was swapping out the 5u4g for nos mullard 5ar4 and the bigger difference was swapping the 6550s for kr audio kt88 new production.

Kron audio was started but a Czech guy obsessed with tubes and it shows. He’s deceased and now run by his wife.

The first setup was a little closed off and the beautiful mids on the atrium is recessed.

Second setup you get a fuller sound with the mids sparkling. Plus 5u4g is directly heated so it’s powered up right away and slams the other tubes with current before they’re ready… heard it shortens the life as it strips the cathode. The kt88s are my gems so I’d rather use the 5ar4 anyway
Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to give that combo a shot! I

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #71 of 3,548
My small collection of tube amps and ZMF headphones.

PXL_20221017_134704826.jpg
How would you describe the sound differences with VC and Sonett and WA22?

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #74 of 3,548
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #75 of 3,548
How would you describe the sound differences with VC and Sonett and WA22?
I do not have VC but other ZMFs sound beautiful with the Sonett 2. Woo WA22 has more power, a bit more details , Sonett 2 has the best vocals of all the tube amps that i own. Very sweet, organic and intimate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back