The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #826 of 3,568
I was actually the one that used the BHC/HD650 analogy with @LCMusicLover over on the "other site," haha. I really didn't clarify what I meant, and I see now it can be taken to mean very different things. What I meant was the BHC is like the HD650 of amps because it is so easy to recommend to people starting out with tube amps, just as many start out with the 650 as their first "nice" set of headphones. And just like the 650 has the ability to scale up to impressive sonic heights with a better chain, the BHC has the ability to scale up with mods and tube rolling. I certainly wasn't implying that the BHC is mediocre!

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #827 of 3,568
Gotta love labs. Best dog personality of all the breeds I’ve had over the years. Jello is a lab / Australian Shepard, which is a great mix IMHO.
IMHO Jello is a fabulous name for this dog!

Someone I know has a cat named Marie, and that name strikes me the same way: ideal for that particular animal.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #828 of 3,568
Very nice.

This has all of the makings for a perfect winter evening :)

I could much enjoy a whole winter's evening here. Recline, have access to gear without getting up, a little bit of tube heat that you can feel, but it is not too hot,
table for cocktail , great companion by your side, choose headphone and music and enjoy.
You nailed my favorite way to spend the evening. You can’t see the fireplace but it’s a little further to the right and most winter evenings there’s a fire from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. A cold martini and life doesn’t get much better.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #829 of 3,568
You nailed my favorite way to spend the evening. You can’t see the fireplace but it’s a little further to the right and most winter evenings there’s a fire from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. A cold martini and life doesn’t get much better.
:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #830 of 3,568
Congrats on the new gear! Please forgive my ignorance but out of curiosity what is the CFA-3?
Chartered Financial Analyst examination level III. 🙂

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #831 of 3,568
Dec 6, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #832 of 3,568
Dec 6, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #833 of 3,568
Dec 6, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #834 of 3,568
Let’s see….Philips/Sony brought out the CD a year earlier….initially 🤢 (barfect sound forever…)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #835 of 3,568
Thought I’d post pics of my ZMF listening nest.

My tribute to (mostly) All-American craft and design:
- ZMF Verite Closed
- Pendant SE (I think I got one of the last ones)
- Schiit Yggy Less is More
- Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair
- Handcrafted 3U studio rack by @gear.hive on Etsy
- Handcrafted walnut side table by @SCWoodworker on Etsy
- Handcrafted stand from @borykworkshop on Etsy (Ukrainian, so considered honorary American)
- Source: Qobuz (Ok, this one is French) via iPad Pro (USB direct to the DAC)

This setup sounds exactly like it looks. 😏 I’m very new to this stuff, but I’m happy with how everything works together to create an immersive, transformative experience. It really has changed my relationship to music. Those of you with much more experience already understand this
ECAEBD49-49E8-4387-A993-E329A40578A3.jpegD8048C4E-9899-43A7-B09F-001C33CAA80C.jpegAE2BC2C5-7E60-48E0-8D93-0B44519264F6.jpegED4F5801-5D33-410E-9C66-35D5B896F76A.jpeg
That studio rack is beautiful! I have been toying with the idea of a second rig for my living area. It would be perfect for that. I certainly have enough unused gear to put one together so that might be the missing piece. Thanks!

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #836 of 3,568
Don't forget - with ZMF pad rolling is as much a thing as tube rolling. Personally, I prefer my Atrium with BE2 Hybrid Perforated pads, others do not. I find the Universe pads too soft and dull, they deaden the sound too much compared to BE2. YMMV. Also, start doing some tube swapping and you'll discover even more fun with the BHC!
I originally ordered my Atrium with BE2 lamb, but didn't give them much of a chance. I initially tried them before I put the solid mesh in then moved on to Universe lamb / Auteur lamb, etc. I need to give them another shot. Any idea how much difference there is between BE2 lamb and hybrid?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #837 of 3,568
I originally ordered my Atrium with BE2 lamb, but didn't give them much of a chance. I initially tried them before I put the solid mesh in then moved on to Universe lamb / Auteur lamb, etc. I need to give them another shot. Any idea how difference there is between BE2 lamb and hybrid?
No, I only have the Be2 Hybrid. If it's like the difference between UV Hybrid and UV Lamb, then the Be2 Lamb will be a touch more crisp.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #838 of 3,568
That studio rack is beautiful! I have been toying with the idea of a second rig for my living area. It would be perfect for that. I certainly have enough unused gear to put one together so that might be the missing piece. Thanks!
Gear Hive makes great stuff. He’s in California, I believe. He has a ton of options, mostly for studio racks for audio suites, obviously, but I bet he’d make anything you wanted. I just got a single standard size shelf that would fit the Yggy and used the nice legs he offers. It worked out better than I thought. He offers multiple finishes, too, to match decor. He’s on Etsy. Super nice guy and I like having hand crafted stuff from a small company.

Dec 10, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #839 of 3,568
Just to be clear, it is the distributor here that is being unreasonable, I have reached out to Ferrum directly, but will need to wait and see their response. Unfortunately, where I bought it from, does not sell them anymore due to issues with this distributor. Hopefully I can have it replaced, at worst get it fixed, but I will be selling for a huge loss either way. I am currently using JDS Labs EL Amp II/DAC II which is years old, been treated very poorly, and STILL works. John over at JDS has personally responded to my emails within hours, and the one issue I had, they sent me a replacement unit, overnight from St. Louis to Alberta Canada. THAT is customer service. Anyone in Canada, I urge to avoid Atelier Audio. They are one of the distributors here of Ferrum.
So I have a resolution to this finally. I contacted Ferrum directly (they were great) they sent a new unit to the distributor for me. The distributor is such an ass, that they still would not just send me a replacement, so I am waiting for them to receive the unit from Ferrum and forward that unit to me. Bottom line, check with your dealer on how the distributor is to work with BEFORE buying a Ferrum product. I really wish I could buy direct to avoid these issues. Alas I cannot, so when the unit gets here I'll probably sell the stack at a loss.

On a positive note, I am now using my ELII stack for work, and am trying out the Element III Boosted (2.3w at 32ohms) and so far its pushing all the right buttons. Might just use this as my SS option for the time being as I don't see any products that catch my eye, except the Mojo II, but not willing to pay the price for chord without trying them out.

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #840 of 3,568
Have been keeping an eye out to add a quality SS amp and nabbed a dukei built CFA-3 (yea, I know, I said no more amps... but I swear, only one.. or two more... as long as I can fit it in the rack:)).

Definitely getting the SS vs. Tube flavors which I hoped for.

After crawling around for a few hours today, cables and rack are neatly re-arranged. Now time to spend the rest of the weekend listening and discovering new synergies :darthsmile:

New rack - with headphones.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back