The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Nov 9, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #556 of 3,733
Where are you in AL? I'm in north GA so may not be too far away.
I am in southwest Alabama. Probably about 4 hours from Atlanta. I'm always up for a road trip! Lol.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #557 of 3,733
I am in southwest Alabama. Probably about 4 hours from Atlanta. I'm always up for a road trip! Lol.
Gotcha. I do get down that way occasionally to go to some job sites in the FL panhandle and near Mobile. I'm located a little over an hour (depending on traffic) north of Atlanta.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #558 of 3,733
This just showed up today. I guess it's alright if you like your music to sound really awesome and stuff...

Aegis.jpg

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #561 of 3,733
This just showed up today. I guess it's alright if you like your music to sound really awesome and stuff...

Aegis.jpg
A nice purposeful look! Which h/p/a is it? 🤔

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #562 of 3,733
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #563 of 3,733
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #564 of 3,733
Gotcha. I do get down that way occasionally to go to some job sites in the FL panhandle and near Mobile. I'm located a little over an hour (depending on traffic) north of Atlanta.
That's about 5 hours from me. I have a friend that lives near Tampa that I met on an audio Facebook page that is wanting me to come visit sometime. I would probably haul my equipment so we could try each other's stuff out. It would be fun to take a little road trip. I wish canjam would come to Atlanta or somewhere closer to us in the south east. I would assume Atlanta would be the best place. Maybe one day they will do that and reach a whole other area of the country. I only know 3 ppl in Alabama that love this hobby as I do. It would be nice to have an audio meet for a weekend somewhere in the south east. I would be willing to drive to make one if I had the chance.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #565 of 3,733
Likewise I really wish there would be a Canjam or some sort of meet somewhere in the Southeast. Maybe we should put out a call for southeastern Head-Fi members and see if we can arrange something. It would be a great way for everyone to listen to some ZMFs and great amplifiers.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #566 of 3,733
DO NOT tease us. I see you have DNA next to it. How do they compare?.
It's a Stratus. I was actually doing some A/B testing earlier today. Let me listen to a few more sessions and I post my thoughts here.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #567 of 3,733
That's about 5 hours from me. I have a friend that lives near Tampa that I met on an audio Facebook page that is wanting me to come visit sometime. I would probably haul my equipment so we could try each other's stuff out. It would be fun to take a little road trip. I wish canjam would come to Atlanta or somewhere closer to us in the south east. I would assume Atlanta would be the best place. Maybe one day they will do that and reach a whole other area of the country. I only know 3 ppl in Alabama that love this hobby as I do. It would be nice to have an audio meet for a weekend somewhere in the south east. I would be willing to drive to make one if I had the chance.
I guess I can be the Head-Fi representative for central Alabama. I’m in Birmingham. If I’m not mistaken, they have meets in Nashville from time to time. It would be cool to have something in Georgia or Alabama though. I’m from Mobile, so I still go down there all the time to visit family.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #568 of 3,733
Amp Update:
Recently picked up a 4-tube Glenn OTL and have been tube rolling to hone it in. I also lucked out and picked up a Stratus, which is with Donald right now for voltage conversion and a general tuneup. He really is the best, I can't speak more highly of him. When @goldwerger made that poll recently, my votes were for the Glenn and Stratus, and now here I am. Truth be told, I'd bought both (but not received either) when I voted, but I didn't want to jinx myself. Now you can pinch me, it's true!

While I wait for the Stratus, I've had a lot of hands-on time with the Glenn. I know part of my enthusiasm for it is its unobtaniumness, but it is impressive. I have the 4-tube variant, the base model, but so far it's pretty amazing. I love love love my Kenzie - I've used the analogy of it sounding like warm brown corduroy at Canter's side-bar. Just like brown corduroy, to me. Like my pants in the late '70s as a boy. I remember that corduroy.

Anyways... to extend that analogy, the Glenn is like vivid brown corduroy with higher peaks and valleys, if that makes sense. There's more shape to the music, like topographical corduroy. Sharper edges but not faster - more texture to the notes from top to bottom - bigger sub-bass and slam.

The Atrium sounds just perfect with them, but my biggest surprise has been how it pairs with the Auteur OG. It's brought the Auteur to equal-but-different status with the Atrium. Or better to describe it as elevating and accentuating the Auteur's strengths. It pushes the Auteur, as malleable as it is, into a synergistic place.

Kenzie is for sale (with some special tubes) and Stratus incoming. The Kenzie is amazing, I want to make that point, and it still has a magical synergy with the Auteur OG, in particular. But I can't keep 3 dynamic amps.
325B3147-E9E3-45D2-AC4D-79CC6A94A005.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #569 of 3,733
Amp Update:
Recently picked up a 4-tube Glenn OTL and have been tube rolling to hone it in. I also lucked out and picked up a Stratus, which is with Donald right now for voltage conversion and a general tuneup. He really is the best, I can't speak more highly of him. When @goldwerger made that poll recently, my votes were for the Glenn and Stratus, and now here I am. Truth be told, I'd bought both (but not received either) when I voted, but I didn't want to jinx myself. Now you can pinch me, it's true!

While I wait for the Stratus, I've had a lot of hands-on time with the Glenn. I know part of my enthusiasm for it is its unobtaniumness, but it is impressive. I have the 4-tube variant, the base model, but so far it's pretty amazing. I love love love my Kenzie - I've used the analogy of it sounding like warm brown corduroy at Canter's side-bar. Just like brown corduroy, to me. Like my pants in the late '70s as a boy. I remember that corduroy.

Anyways... to extend that analogy, the Glenn is like vivid brown corduroy with higher peaks and valleys, if that makes sense. There's more shape to the music, like topographical corduroy. Sharper edges but not faster - more texture to the notes from top to bottom - bigger sub-bass and slam.

The Atrium sounds just perfect with them, but my biggest surprise has been how it pairs with the Auteur OG. It's brought the Auteur to equal-but-different status with the Atrium. Or better to describe it as elevating and accentuating the Auteur's strengths. It pushes the Auteur, as malleable as it is, into a synergistic place.

Kenzie is for sale (with some special tubes) and Stratus incoming. The Kenzie is amazing, I want to make that point, and it still has a magical synergy with the Auteur OG, in particular. But I can't keep 3 dynamic amps.
325B3147-E9E3-45D2-AC4D-79CC6A94A005.jpeg
Glenn and Stratus combo??? Welcome to the club. :sunglasses:

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #570 of 3,733
I guess I can be the Head-Fi representative for central Alabama. I’m in Birmingham. If I’m not mistaken, they have meets in Nashville from time to time. It would be cool to have something in Georgia or Alabama though. I’m from Mobile, so I still go down there all the time to visit family.
I'm from Demopolis, I have a friend close to Cullman, and I have talked to a guy in Birmingham before on private message on headfi, and you. Those are the only ppl from Alabama I know if in this hobby. I guess we are spread out and very few. It would be nice to do something like that in Alabama or Georgia for sure. I would definitely make a trip if it could get organized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back