The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Nov 5, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #541 of 3,664
On a different note, does anyone here have a Schiit Ragnarok and enjoy their ZMFs with it?

Years ago... well maybe 5 years ago. :) I had the Schiit stack of Yiggy and Raggy and I had Eikon and Atticus at that time. It was a good combination but.... as in all things there's a preference. When my GOTL arrived, I clearly prefer that over Ragnarok unfortunately. Just sound more vibrant and dynamic. I eventually sold off Ragnarok within a year and have kept Yiggdrasil till now.

Here's a picture of Atticus with Ragnarok. Perhaps I should have kept the amp because it's a matching pair with Yiggdrasil and it will drive speakers easily. :)

20171014_042946.jpg

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #542 of 3,664
Years ago... well maybe 5 years ago. :) I had the Schiit stack of Yiggy and Raggy and I had Eikon and Atticus at that time. It was a good combination but.... as in all things there's a preference. When my GOTL arrived, I clearly prefer that over Ragnarok unfortunately. Just sound more vibrant and dynamic. I eventually sold off Ragnarok within a year and have kept Yiggdrasil till now.

Here's a picture of Atticus with Ragnarok. Perhaps I should have kept the amp because it's a matching pair with Yiggdrasil and it will drive speakers easily. :)

20171014_042946.jpg
Thank you- that is helpful. I suspect my three ZMFs would play well with a Ragnarok, though I figure my Woo WA2 will always have an edge. 😁

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #543 of 3,664
On a different note, does anyone here have a Schiit Ragnarok and enjoy their ZMFs with it?
I have the 2. It's fine but I preferred the iFi Pro iCan over it in the solid state setting more. The Ragnarok is more neutral while the iCan had a heft or thickness to it which I enjoyed more. I prefer any of the tube amps I've owned to it. I think it's better with planars so look forward to using the Caldera with it. But so far I don't use any of my ZMFs with it at all.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #544 of 3,664
I have the 2. It's fine but I preferred the iFi Pro iCan over it in the solid state setting more. The Ragnarok is more neutral while the iCan had a heft or thickness to it which I enjoyed more. I prefer any of the tube amps I've owned to it. I think it's better with planars so look forward to using the Caldera with it. But so far I don't use any of my ZMFs with it at all.
Thank you- then unless I start going the planar direction, it would be a dead end.

Thanks very much!

Nov 6, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #545 of 3,664
Stratus was never meant for me. I cancelled my order for it after 8 months of waiting all because I got hooked on Sansui vintage amps. Sansui passed their entire transformer business to Hashimoto in 1979.

See how it's all connected. :)

So if not for Sansui, I would have gotten my DNA Stratus but then I would have missed out on the glorious sound of Sansui au-alpha 907mr. I even listen to Verite Open on it. Soundstage is as wide as the horizon and you have to experience the majestic sound of muscular amps like the Sansui driving Verite Open, HD650 and Beyer T1 v2. :)

IMG_0498.jpg

That amp looks awesome. Most Sansui amps I see are either black faced or have the lighted tuner dial across the front.

I see an AU 607 here that looks almost identical to yours. But I'm weary of the sellers 8 negative reviews.
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...mos-limited-amplifier-in-excellent-condition/

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #546 of 3,664
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #547 of 3,664
It's fine but I preferred the iFi Pro iCan over it in the solid state setting more. The Ragnarok is more neutral while the iCan had a heft or thickness to it which I enjoyed more.

That sounds like our Pro iCAN indeed. Its sound leans towards meatiness and color rather than contours and utmost tonal neutrality. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #548 of 3,664
Very true, but a different tube amp could run planars just as well right? I'm just contemplating my setup, since tubes have changed my views
I used to own a Burson Soloist GT and I sold it for an Atrium because my Wa22 got all of my listening time. I tried to go back to the GT before I sold it but tubes were just so much more enjoyable to me. My wa22 gave my music more soul! Now I am very glad I have the Atrium over the GT especially with upgrading tubes in my wa22 which brought it to much higher levels compared to stock tubes. I ended up going with the wa22 because I can use dd and planar headphones. I'm glad I did now that the Caldera has been announced.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #549 of 3,664
I used to own a Burson Soloist GT and I sold it for an Atrium because my Wa22 got all of my listening time. I tried to go back to the GT before I sold it but tubes were just so much more enjoyable to me. My wa22 gave my music more soul! Now I am very glad I have the Atrium over the GT especially with upgrading tubes in my wa22 which brought it to much higher levels compared to stock tubes.
I would absolutely trade my Ferrum OOR+Hypsos for an Atrium, but I also have HEKv2, and my OTL Echo mkII does NOT play well with those lol

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #550 of 3,664
I would absolutely trade my Ferrum OOR+Hypsos for an Atrium, but I also have HEKv2, and my OTL Echo mkII does NOT play well with those lol
When I bought my wa22 I had an lcd x too which was why I needed an amp that could handle dd and planar. I absolutely love my wa22. Going to ZMF cans and tubes was my best decision I have made in this hobby. I felt like I finally found the sound I had always been searching for when I heard my VC and Wa22. Maybe you could look into selling something and upgrading if you decide you want to go all in with tubes. You could sell the oor and your tube amp to get a tube amp to handle dd and planar. Just an idea! 😆

Attachments

• 20220922_152921~3.jpg
    20220922_152921~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #551 of 3,664
When I bought my wa22 I had an lcd x too which was why I needed an amp that could handle dd and planar. I absolutely love my wa22. Going to ZMF cans and tubes was my best decision I have made in this hobby. I felt like I finally found the sound I had always been searching for when I heard my VC and Wa22. Maybe you could look into selling something and upgrading if you decide you want to go all in with tubes. You could sell the oor and your tube amp to get a tube amp to handle dd and planar. Just an idea! 😆
HaHaHa yea there is always that... my eyes are currently set on Atrium, and Utopia 2022. Those two absolutely need to be demoed before I pull the trigger, cause my wife would shoot me if I bought them, and didn't like them, then decided to sell at a loss. Although, my Pro-ject X1 and LCD2-C's are currently up for sale, so that is almost the Atrium's...

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #553 of 3,664
HaHaHa yea there is always that... my eyes are currently set on Atrium, and Utopia 2022. Those two absolutely need to be demoed before I pull the trigger, cause my wife would shoot me if I bought them, and didn't like them, then decided to sell at a loss. Although, my Pro-ject X1 and LCD2-C's are currently up for sale, so that is almost the Atrium's...
I would be shocked if you already like the Autuer and don't like the Atrium. I do understand about wanting to hear first though. I wish I could try headphones and equipment out but unfortunately I am not anywhere close to a higi store and there aren't very many ppl into this hobby in Alabama.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #554 of 3,664
I would be shocked if you already like the Autuer and don't like the Atrium. I do understand about wanting to hear first though. I wish I could try headphones and equipment out but unfortunately I am not anywhere close to a higi store and there aren't very many ppl into this hobby in Alabama.
Where are you in AL? I'm in north GA so may not be too far away.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #555 of 3,664
I feel you. I'm in the prairies in Canada, nothing near me. Or rather, no reputable stores to deal with. So I buy blind online, 98% of the time it works out. Only a few things that I didn't like, vs failures in gear, but Amazon returns was awesome for those. Atriums are $3500 CAD, hence why I would like to try some at some point, Utopia's... wel $7000 CAD depending if I can catch them on sale or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back